Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all , as you can tell by the title I am in the market for my first bike. I was at the Ducati dealer today and saw a desert sled and fell in love! I am a taller guy and this bike fit like a glove! I just wanted some input from the owners here. Is this a reasonable first bike? there is literally nothing on the market that compares to this bike for me. Thanks for your time!馃檪

Registered
@jknoll The throttle from the factory is pretty lazy in comparison to the icon so that should make it easier. Its also a lot heavier and harder to move around. It really depends on your previous bike experience. Have you ridden moto or off road? Any other experience will help for sure. The 800 is still plenty quick but it wont put you on your ass as fast as a CR250R

Registered
A Ducati is not a bike I would recommend to anybody as a first bike. Buy a used MT07 Yamaha or SV650 Suzuki and get through the learning period and the inevitable bike drops and once you have done that for 6-12 months revisit the Ducati idea.

Registered
I also have the DS as my first bike with zero experience prior. I do a lot mountain biking so I found it easy to transition - just (a lot) heavier :p

There are obviously better bikes to pick up as a first, but that doesn't mean this can't be considered. I eased into the bike, learning how to maneuver in empty parking lots. It has been about a year and I'm pretty comfortable with it, although for my own experience I still visit the parking lots to practice. I just think that's good practice to do in general.

Like h.grenade said, the throttle compared to others does make it easier.

If I had to go back and have the option to get a different one I'd have still bought the DS. Good luck.

Registered
Get a cheap, used, small bike for your first so if you drop it, it鈥檚 no big deal. Ninja 259/300 is probably the best. Suzuki TU250x for more classic looks.

Registered
Hello all , as you can tell by the title I am in the market for my first bike. I was at the Ducati dealer today and saw a desert sled and fell in love! I am a taller guy and this bike fit like a glove! I just wanted some input from the owners here. Is this a reasonable first bike? there is literally nothing on the market that compares to this bike for me. Thanks for your time!馃檪
Motorcycling as a hobby / sport is as much about passion as anything else and if you 鈥渃onnected鈥 with the Ducati Desert Sled it is undoubtedly the perfect bike for you! All bikes are different in terms of shape and feel and performance but in today鈥檚 world there are almost none that are really 鈥漛ad.鈥 The Ducati Scrambler series are all great little bikes ... go for it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts