Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this past weekend, for a numerically significant birthday, my wife surprised me with a Scrambler Enduro...
Yes, she is that awesome and yes I'm screwed come her next birthday.

Even more insane was the fact that Prior to this bike I had only ridden a moped, an off road 250c and had taken a few rides on a Honda CB450 and a yamaha z650. I hadn't even sat on this thing let alone test drove it and there it was sitting in the garage!

That is just to give you some context on this particular 1st impression. I essentially have no truly useful riding experiences to compare to this bike. Also, for sizing context, I am 5'6" with a 30" inseam and weigh about 130.

1st
Pictures do not do this bike justice. The color and the matte finish have to be seen in person to appreciate. The attention to detail and craftsmanship is what you would expect from Ducati but it seems they outdid themselves.

My concern when considering stepping up to bigger bike was always the fit. I am not that tall and finding the balance in style and size can be tricky. Although I am still at the shorter end of the average rider this bike was designed for I can confidently say I feel right at home on it.

The best I can say considering how little experience I have with a larger bike, is that this thing is fun as s#!t. It is light enough, even for my size, to move it around with ease. For a casual rider it offers one hell of a confident ride with awesome responsiveness.
Ultimately I just keep coming back to how much fun this bike is to ride- that seems to be all the bike wants to be. Fun. I can't stress that enough. Whatever else the bike is good at, I think this is the defining characteristic.
The only downside for someone with a bit less experience is that the throttle, especially in 1st and 2nd gear is a bit jumpy. It took some getting used to. It can feel more like an on/off switch. By the end of the day I had it under control but It does take some finessing to keep it real smooth for now... I imagine as the bike breaks in this will become less of an issue.

Based on my 1st experience with the bike I would say If you are someone who is looking to step up to your first major bike and/or you happen to be on the shorter side you've got to test ride this thing. Of course, even if you own 5 bikes and hit the track on the weekends this thing makes one hell of a daily beast.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Congrats! That's a super cool surprise!

So the "jumpy" throttle will not change with break-in, but you will probably get used to it. It's definitely a quick throttle. I have 2k miles on mine — I'm used to it, and it's a non-issue for me now, but it's no different than when I got it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Scrambrane , the bike is awesome and you will love it. The throttle is something you'll get used to. I'd be asking the wife about the guilty conscience, lol.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mercy me! She's brilliant, and certainly raised the bar for the rest of us. Just give her whatever she wants from now on, without a word. Bike sounds like it was made for you, enjoy.

Sarah

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome to the awesome-wife's club; mine gave me mine for Christmas - bah, I got a diecast Panigale which I thought was incorrectly labeled for me and was meant to be for my 2 year old. Instead, she said to open it and in it was a letter from the dealer congratulating me... It was also an Urban Enduro but I ended up swapping for an Icon as it was available 2 months sooner! :)

Congrats and enjoy her! (And the bike too)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm a happy member of the Awesome Wife club as well. My lovely bride gave me a surprise..."you should go buy this bike" out of the blue one day. After admitting I had a man crush on the Classic she went down to the dealer on her own and completed the preorder.
Just over 200 miles on the bike now and over 25 years on the wife. Every time I get on it for a ride I'm reminded how lucky I am!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Wow lucky you! I'd like to say my husband bought me mine but he didn't! Still he's pretty good in other ways, I just love my bike :love7: and he doesn't get jealous

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wow cool bike and cooler missus for doing that for you !!

And 1st & 2nd are jumpy for me too so it's not just you

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nice! I echo everything you'd written, I love mine! I modded my throttle tube and it's better, but I will still shave a bit more off the profile at some point ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts