Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the reason for the crash?
A lot of loose powder like dirt. It was almost impossible to control with the big rear tire. The only motorcycles that didn't fall where Enduro and motocross. The dual purpose had a great time but had a lot of falls.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 8 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
929 Posts
The first crash looks to me like it was caused by you riding across ruts made by wheels of a 4WD or truck at an oblique angle. You can see the ruts in the video and as you hit them the front wheel turns to follow the direction of the rut and you fall. Fat rear tyres don’t cause crashes when traveling in a straight line. Lower gear, more power and less weight on the front would have helped there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The first crash looks to me like it was caused by you riding across ruts made by wheels of a 4WD or truck at an oblique angle. You can see the ruts in the video and as you hit them the front wheel turns to follow the direction of the rut and you fall. Fat rear tyres don’t cause crashes when traveling in a straight line. Lower gear, more power and less weight on the front would have helped there.
Saw similar on that first crash. Yes, loose dirt / sandy soil. But also low visability because you were too close to the person in front of you. And then a sharp reaction to get to the right (meaning opposite of left) track which caused you to go over those ruts. I've dumped the bike a dozen times for similar reasons. But agree that lower gear and more power would help. Hang back a bit more to eliminate the dust storm. But that first crash definitely seemed to be decelerating in soft terrain over ruts that ultimately did you in on that one.

More importantly. Kudos for taking the DS off road. I've been that odd man out on the DS when off roading. Riding with BMW GS's, Tenere's, Africa Twins, and like you smaller enduros. Those conditions looked pretty perfect in terms of conditions for the DS. It can actually handle more but that was pretty good. Hope you had fun and do it again and again and again. And other than those enduros, you'll pick up the DS much easier than those other big dual sports.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, the first fall because wasn't really a crash. It had a big rut in the middle(good eye, in the video is hard to see) I was trying to take the road on the left but when I saw the other bike going right and try to pass the dirt rut I felt like I was riding on butter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saw similar on that first crash. Yes, loose dirt / sandy soil. But also low visability because you were too close to the person in front of you. And then a sharp reaction to get to the right (meaning opposite of left) track which caused you to go over those ruts. I've dumped the bike a dozen times for similar reasons. But agree that lower gear and more power would help. Hang back a bit more to eliminate the dust storm. But that first crash definitely seemed to be decelerating in soft terrain over ruts that ultimately did you in on that one.

More importantly. Kudos for taking the DS off road. I've been that odd man out on the DS when off roading. Riding with BMW GS's, Tenere's, Africa Twins, and like you smaller enduros. Those conditions looked pretty perfect in terms of conditions for the DS. It can actually handle more but that was pretty good. Hope you had fun and do it again and again and again. And other than those enduros, you'll pick up the DS much easier than those other big dual sports.
It's awesome. The group told me that a lot of GS and big dual purpose bikes that join them always end up hating them. And I really had so much fun I felt like a teenager in my kdx220 again.

Need more practice and thanks for the recommendations in no time I will be in front of the enduro bikes. And I need more condition the second fall was more about physical exhaustion it was three hours later since we started the off road trail and my body couldn't take it anymore. It's a really demanding sport.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got the owners manual out.
Light ON flashing - limiter intervention
I ride a lot off road in similar conditions.
Seems to me that the Desert Sled has a lot of torque so I ride in a higher gear.
No flashing green lights.
I liked the video. I've thought about getting a GoPro to record my adventures. Then decided not to. That would just give the prosecuting attorney more incriminating evidence against me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts