Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking mine in for the first service tomorrow, By the time I get there it'll have done 760 miles :rolleyes: oh dear bet I'm in trouble ;)
Ah well had a great run out today, :cool: and tomorrow I'll come home the long way round the Welsh Mountains hope the snows melted :eek:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Taking mine in for the first service tomorrow, By the time I get there it'll have done 760 miles :rolleyes: oh dear bet I'm in trouble ;)
:eek:
Don't think so, I reckon they'll say better late than early.
The workshop lads anyway, sales are usually foo'o'pish though.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Anyone know what they do on the first service other then an oil/filter change and an overall look maybe chain adjust? I don't recall any of my new bikes purchased in the last ten years that had a first service at such a low mileage.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Anyone know what they do on the first service other then an oil/filter change and an overall look maybe chain adjust? I don't recall any of my new bikes purchased in the last ten years that had a first service at such a low mileage.
Not sure why not, it's standard practice I would say and has been since a long time .Pretty much all bike manufactures I know of expect the running in oil to be removed after 600odd (1000km)
Check torque on critical bolts ie. discs etc. and ecu up-date if needed.
In the last few years I've bought new Suzuki's, Yamaha's, Benelli, Ducati's and KTMs and all have had 1st service at approx. 600 miles. It's recognised as the most important service of all.

GSX 1400
Hayabusa
MT01
Bandit 1200
Trigger Generic (my son's 1st roadbike)
Husqvarna 50cc x2 (both my son's. 1 written off a week old but still had it's service, just)
TNT 1130
Diavel x2 (including my wife's)
1290 Superduke
690 SMCR x2 (one my son's)
Scrambler, on it's way. (I hope)

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have had 6 new bikes including a Vespa past 12 years and all needed that first service at 1000km

·
Registered
965 Posts
Not sure why not, it's standard practice I would say and has been since a long time .Pretty much all bike manufactures I know of expect the running in oil to be removed after 600odd (1000km)
Check torque on critical bolts ie. discs etc. and ecu up-date if needed.
In the last few years I've bought new Suzuki's, Yamaha's, Benelli, Ducati's and KTMs and all have had 1st service at approx. 600 miles. It's recognised as the most important service of all.

GSX 1400
Hayabusa
MT01
Bandit 1200
Trigger Generic (my son's 1st roadbike)
Husqvarna 50cc x2 (both my son's. 1 written off a week old but still had it's service, just)
TNT 1130
Diavel x2 (including my wife's)
1290 Superduke
690 SMCR x2 (one my son's)
Scrambler, on it's way. (I hope)

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll ask what it entails when I'm there, :)

Lots of snow when I picked the bike up, Don't suppose there'll be any there now, Thank goodness, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Thats all very interesting considering this:
Ducati Maintenance
I think maybe a bit of confusion. We all, me included (and I'm in the trade) call the first check over a 'service' when in actual fact it's more of a safety/quality control check plus dropping the oil used while running the bike in. When checking through service schedules what they mean by 12,24,ooo etc. is 'every'
Obviously the 1st/initial 'service only happens once.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I thought it was mainly to change the oil of all it's impurities during running in? My Guzzi was also 600 miles. For the second service they say 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever is sooner, well I am sure I won't have done anywhere near 7,500 miles, what if I have only done 1,000, I will still have to take it in?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I thought it was mainly to change the oil of all it's impurities during running in? My Guzzi was also 600 miles. For the second service they say 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever is sooner, well I am sure I won't have done anywhere near 7,500 miles, what if I have only done 1,000, I will still have to take it in?
Yes, you need to take it in annually, it used to be mineral oil degrades just with time alone but nowadays the use of synthetic oils kind of changes things as it doesn't degrade the same.
Brake fluid, coolant etc. still need replaced at regular intervals as they still degrade with time.
What gets me is, I have just taken a KTM in for it's 1st annual service, it has done1700 miles and they insisted on checking/adjusting valve clearances. I said my valves didn't go out of spec. sitting in my cave, where as if I had used it for track days and commuting for a year then maybe they needed checked. Bottom line is that's what the cleverer people than me said had to be done for the warranty.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Littleowl, you will have to take it in for warranty purposes ...BUT.... they don't need to do everything if it's at a low mileage. I haven't seen the Scrambler handbook yet ('still waiting for the bike never mind the h/b!) but the 796 h/b (same engine bar valve overlap) stipulates that certain things don't need doing until certain mileage is reached. So read your manual carefully and make sure they don't do anything unnecessary and certainly make sure you only pay for whats needed!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Also don't forget that at least in the USA they cannot specify that you must use specific "authorized" parts and or "dealers" to maintain your warranty status.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well ! I had a great day yesterday, Left home at 7-30 am , Had a nice ride down to Woods of Abergele, By the time I arrived the odometer was reading 747 miles,
Service done while i drank loads of coffee, Hui was right about the safety , all the nuts and bolts I could see had some more coloured paint on to denote re torqued up, oil change, brake fluid check, chain oiled and adjusted, a general check over to make sure nothing has dropped off :rolleyes: and a wash off, all foc,

Gill it takes about 1 1/2 hrs,

I did buy the cute little yellow screen :D, and the headlight guard, I think they look great, both items fitted foc while I waited, Great stuff, and Great Service from Woods,

Then it was a tour around the snowdon area taking in the views and amazing roads ,arrived home about 3-30 pm with 900 miles on the clock,

What a great little bike, enjoyed every second of it, sunshine all day, it doesn't get any better than that, :cool:

Pictures etc later,

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Also don't forget that at least in the USA they cannot specify that you must use specific "authorized" parts and or "dealers" to maintain your warranty status.
In the UK our consumer laws were slightly different to USA.
It used to be a manufactures could not dictate that a service had to be done by them. The stipulation was the garage/agent had to use genuine parts and be VAT registered. They then dropped the vat reg. bit but still have to use OEM parts.
It was also against the rules to force punters to have to use the dealer to re-set the service lamp on the dash. Therefor they hide the instructions in the manual.
If there is a warranty claim that the company wants to contest, they have to prove in court incompetence of the service agent the customer used.

In the written law it states that these rules apply to mainstream manufactures of a certain size. It excluded what's considered small scale production which at the time included KTM and Ducati and a few special car manufactures.
I'm not sure nowadays about Ducati especially since Audi came along.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts