Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Fitting LED indicators to a Scrambler

18K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  TC3 
#1 ·
Here's a tip or observation I have found since fitting my Rizoma indicators front and rear to my Icon.
Firstly I did these a couple of weeks ago and they fitted nice and neat after I replicated the shape of the fix brackets but the front ones are awkward to do because the connectors are halfway under the tank and fiddly to do but I assure you it is able to be done by a general competent person. The reason I did go to the trouble of lifting the tank is
1/ I don't like cutting OEM parts apart to splice connectors in
2/ I had Rizoma indicators with specially bought Ducati connectors for it.

The rears are easy and just undo the 6 bolts holding the tail tray off and the connectors are viewable.

So here's where it got complicated. I had the resistors from the last bike my Monster 1100s and they had 1 per indicator to give correct flash rate but they also advise they could need up to 2 per indicator. So following that pattern it was done 1 per indicator and they worked but were flashing too fast for my liking but ok.
Next thought was I then need 2 per indicator then so ordered 4 similar from ebay and only £6 for 4 so not dear.
They came today so removed the rears as access quick and plugged on the extra ones. Hmmm still flashing the same rate. I then tried using the 2 Rizoma ones. Same thing flashed same rate. I then took the resistors off the rear and they flashed normal even with one on the front.
So there you are YOU DONT NEED RESISTORS it seems. I know that modern electronics have the flasher relay built into the ecu so maybe its smarter even more now and senses it.

if I can be bothered I may still lift the tank again to remove the front resistors to see if they slow down more. I doubt it will make much difference.

See less See more
#3 ·
I tell you what my local J&S sell Rizoma lookalikes for £15 a pair like mine. Not sure if they have the brilliance but had the same look.
Lf2 Led Fire Indicator Black - J S Accessories
Lf1 Led Fire Indicator Clear - J S Accessories

Moorespeed sell connector tails to Ducati OEM others may also.

Rizoma Billet motorcycles parts from Italy.
Rizoma Led Indicators

I will take pictures of where tomorrow when I button it all up .
Here are mine I fitted the Zero ( given to me) and a pair of Zero 11.

#9 ·
I tell you what my local J&S sell Rizoma lookalikes for £15 a pair like mine. Not sure if they have the brilliance but had the same look.
Lf2 Led Fire Indicator Black - J S Accessories
Lf1 Led Fire Indicator Clear - J S Accessories

Moorespeed sell connector tails to Ducati OEM others may also.

Rizoma Billet motorcycles parts from Italy.
Rizoma Led Indicators

I will take pictures of where tomorrow when I button it all up .
Here are mine I fitted the Zero ( given to me) and a pair of Zero 11.

I dont get it. To my eyes these indicators do not suit the bike at all. I must be in minority though judging from comments :)
No you are possibly right. The story goes I was given a front set a few years ago and last year I decided to put them on monster so purchased a similar pair to do. Spending more than £120 on indicators is obsurd but I liked them on the monster as are bright and 4 way visible unlike most just face on. I decided to keep them and I like them and your right there are better looking ones and cheaper ones and had I not got them I would maybe have chosen different. But they are a very nice indicator and very road sensible and that's from people who see me riding and turning and spotting them. Nothing wrong with stock and that's not why I did it but wanted ALL LED.

#12 ·
True true , I agree with you ... They do not look the best on the bike but to be honest I still did not find ones I would die for to have on my Scrambler ... Thats why my plan is to change only bulbs for LED and buy new blinkers when I find the ones I love ...

In your case off course, if you had them on your hands, thats the way to go. They look ok but not best to be honest.

#14 ·
hi , are the indicators fitted to the icon scrambler normal 12 volt bulbs , is it possible to fit an 12 volt 3 wire audible indicator warning beeper in this circuit as a reminder for cancelling indicators , If possible I would connect to rear indicators with beeper under the seat , thanks for any help on this matter .

#17 ·
hi Derek , I know that the indicators self cancel but thy stay on for a third of a mile before they switch off , I like to turn them off sooner , I just wanted to verify that the indicator circuit was normal 12volts with normal bulbs so that a 12volt beeper can be safely fitted . cheers .

#20 ·
I found they basically never seemed to cancel. I deliberately left them on several times to try it out, but I always ended up cancelling manually. Same on the Monster and MultiStrada, although I did see them auto cancel on the latter - once.

Overall, not impressed with this system at all. The description in the manual states they will not cancel at over 50 kph (or some other similar, but fixed speed). How utterly bizarre is that. I can think of NO other self cancelling indicator system that has any ridiculous criteria like that. Just seems stupid to me.

#22 ·
I think there should be some sort of safety standard on indicators, I do like self cancelling ones, My Harley has the best ones IMHO,
All the cars I've driven in the last few years were all about the same , why can't we have it on bikes, It's not like it's Rocket Science is it :rolleyes:

#24 ·
Sorry if you have already mentioned this, but what are the connectors that are compatible with the existing scrambler connectors? I noticed that they are 3 wires assuming that the extra wire is earth, as i don't have that on the LED indicators have bought. Do you need to earth LEDs? Im not keen on cutting any wires so if you have a link that would be really useful.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.