Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Flat Track Pro is just a yellow Full Throttle with number plates on the side, slightly different seat, the CNC mirrors and a headlight cowl.

Overall I don't think those bits actually add anything. To my eyes, they make it uglier.

I'd get the FT and spend the money saved on more useful mods. Remap or Suspension. Exhaust if you want plenty of noise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whenever I get a new Harley, I immediately swap the intake, pipes (remove cat), and give it a real tune with a TTS tuning module. I feel these aren't really mods, but necessary corrections. It's almost like you have to do this, just to get the bike to run cool & happy.

This will be my first Ducati. For the Scrambler, are there any immediate, necessary 'must do' mods, such as the ones I listed above?

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Know where ya comin from Doc, air intake ain't all that bad, but the exhaust is the same as most bikes, governed more by EPA and design rules, quiet, heavy, and restrictive.
Check out the Exhaust threads to choose what ya gunna fit up to the Scrambler better sound and better gas flow is easily achieved as is weight reduction. Depending upon the choice of exhaust, a re-map is also beneficial but not always necessary.

And you guessed it, seat, bars, suspension are all subjects depending upon your size and taste.

I personally got away with a set of FT bars and seat, changed the footpegs out to something a bit more chunkier and lower, fitted a small screen and blacked a few items out.

I went for the DanMoto XG-1 slip on pipes attached to the stock headers and tickled her up with the Termi up map,,, goes well and sounds excellent.

Again, all up to personal choice, but I also own a couple of HD's and have been through what you mentioned several times before,,, might give you a bit of an idea what my preferences are like.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Drspencer if you like Harley's you might really like the Low Rider S...I still want that bike very badly (test rode 2x) It was a coin toss against the FTP. The Scrambler is more versatile, fun & cheaper tho.

I own the FTP & also rode the FT. My understanding is the FTP is assembled in Italy & the FT is Thailand FWIW. But I don't know the consistency/accuracy of that statement. My FTP is Italy.

The FTP does not have panels on the tank like the FT.

I bought the FTP because it did not have the snatchy throttle issue like the 2015 Icon I rode. The FT throttle was better, but not as forgiving as my FTP.

The foot pegs are really good on the FTP & I like the way they feel standing on gravel. FTP bike reminds me of my 1st bike - Suzuki TM75. I say go for the FTP, but the FT looks awesome as well!

Also...if you are a shorter rider like me you will love the Mustang seat. My tail tidy is 4 very strong zip ties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Drspencer if you like Harley's you might really like the Low Rider S...I still want that bike very badly (test rode 2x) It was a coin toss against the FTP. The Scrambler is more versatile, fun & cheaper tho.
Interesting you should make that suggestion. I just bought a 2017 Low Rider S, lol.

One thing I didn't like about the FTP, was that the seat kind of dumped me toward the front of the bike, by design. Being a Harley Guy, I prefer sitting 'in' a bike, as opposed to 'on' a bike.

Will the Mustang seat give me that feel? Or am I too tall at 6' 0"?

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
^^^ that's wild you have a LRS!

Someone said a very very true statement," I didn't know where to sit & how to ride the Scrambler until the Mustang seat"

It's 1.5" wider & 0.5" lower & definitely more in the bike in a better way. I can ride 75-100 miles in comfort,,,, but your legs are slightly more cramped. I'm only 5'6" 31 inseam.

I personally give the seat a 10/10 based on value, looks, fit & performance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Congrats!!! Have fun !

Thanks.

Any suggestions on any immediate 'must do' mods?

What's the smallest, least obstructive piece of luggage, that's just big enough to carry a cell phone, keys, and registration?

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
For me

Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag
Mustang Seat
RAM handlebar phone mount
Ziptie plate to signals

I am keeping suspension stock. Unless interstate bumps, it's good, but I'm 160lbs...plus I hate chasing issues on bikes so I just embrace it as character & make the best of it. I would love the Ohlins front end tho .

·
Registered
817 Posts
Whenever I get a new Harley, I immediately swap the intake, pipes (remove cat), and give it a real tune with a TTS tuning module. I feel these aren't really mods, but necessary corrections. It's almost like you have to do this, just to get the bike to run cool & happy.
This will be my first Ducati. For the Scrambler, are there any immediate, necessary 'must do' mods, such as the ones I listed above?
Thanks
Like most modern bikes, it really benefits needs an ECU remap or a power commander. It runs cooler and produces better power across the rev range, especially up top!
All after market pipes remove the cat for the scrambler, as it and the muffler are one piece. So if you want a new exhaust, you'll need to map it anyway. Rexxer tunes can be done by a lot of dealers and do the job well.

The airbox is fine standard. You can get a slightly less restrictive filter to add more induction noise but from tests done by others posted here, dramatically opening up the airbox just results in a big beefy midrange but a real reduction in top end power over stock. Moden bikes all run very lean to meet Euro4 regs, so manufacturers do a good job of getting a lot of air into the engine already.

Outside of the engine, the biggest complaint across the range are the seats. Fine for 1 hour spells but sore for longer rides. I bought an airhawk pad for long rides but there are plenty of aftermarket seats with improved cushioning out there. Just not many that look as good as the standard FT seat for me.

As with all other bikes I've owned, I immediately lose the crappy standard brake/clutch levers. I use CNC aluminium shorty eBay specials from China. Never had an issue. Cost £100's less than Pazzo etc...

The indicators on the Scrambler massive and ugly. Easily swapped with any LED replacements, with a bit of faffing around. No resistors required. The bike automatically adjusts to whatever you fit. I have LED's on the back and still have stock on front and it's fine. When fitting, they all worked even with just one single LED on one side.

Other mods I've done are:
Dropping to a 44T ally sprocket on the rear to drop the cruising revs below 6k at 75-80mph
DID chain
CNC bar end mirrors
Switching to Meztler Z8 tyres (Highly recommend. Don't look as cool but ride is smoother and bike turns much nicer)

·
Registered
234 Posts

Thanks

I took my FT home two weeks ago. I've spent a good bit of time researching it, correcting the foibles of its pre-delivery prep and setup, and am now doing some very small modifications to ensure that it runs the way it ought to, for me.

- My bike came to me with the clutch adjusted to no free play at all. It was horrible. I hunted up the correct adjustment procedure and set the free play to what it ought to be. FAR FAR better. I'm still not 100% happy with where in my hand's reach the engagement point falls, so I bought a pair of CRG adjustable levers (I like having both sides match, only really need the clutch) that allow me to adjust the correct amount of free play and the lever stand-off independently.

- The Scrambler throttle prior to 2017 was the most cited annoyance as being sudden and difficult to modulate off the line. The throttle drum was changed on the 2017 models to improve this situation, and it is indeed better ... but it is still a bit sucky. I bought the G2 Throttle Tamer from G2 Ergonomics and installed it ... it only takes about five minutes. Although its curve is very similar to the 2017 stock throttle drum, it is a far better made piece and, mechanically, works much more smoothly than the stock plastic throttle drum. I changed out the horrible stock hand grips at the same time for a set of ProGrips ... they work better for me, but are still not quite the diameter I'd prefer. I'm still looking for the best grips.

- Personally, I don't care about ditching the catcon and feel the Termignonis make a pleasant engine sound. I'd rather keep the bike stock in that respect and allow it to meet emissions as best possible.

- The Scrambler is geared too low for my preference ... I'll likely never have need to "scramble" with it, just ride down a dirt road now and then. I'm upping overall gearing by 9% by changing out the 15/46T sprockets for a 16/45T set. That should be enough. If it's not quite enough, I'll go to a smaller rear sprocket by one or two teeth.

- The two changes (clutch adjustment and throttle drum) improved engine control and response tremendously. But I know for sure that this engine is tuned to be extremely lean up through 4000 rpm ... It surges and pops, stutters, at small throttle openings, and runs hotter than it ought to. I refuse to accept that. To fix it requires a customized, improved engine map for the computer. The Rexxer unit can reprogram the ECU to suit either stock or modified engine configurations. I've got one on order.

- Beyond these bits, I have a number of cosmetic and ergonomic changes going on. Better grips I mentioned already. CRG Bar End mirrors that I can actually see out of and that aren't in my face. Comfort Seat for longer distance riding. A set of the Ducati Scrambler "Classic" soft bags and brackets so I can carry stuff for longer distance riding. I prefer a little fender in the back of the seat, so the Ducati option is going on. I'll likely clean up the tail with a license plate relocation kit, and I've got an Abba Superbike Stand coming so that I can do chain adjustments more easily. Remove the ugly plastic tank badging and modify the tank/badging to taste.

Then ... I'm going to shorten the bars a little (they're too wide for me) or switch to a slightly lower, narrower set that lets me lean forward a little more at highway speeds. When I wear out the stock tires, a set of more road-worthy, grippier tires will go on. Ultimately, a revised fork damper kit and an Öhlins' rear suspension unit will be fitted, but that's a ways down the road.

G

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like most modern bikes, it really benefits needs an ECU remap or a power commander. It runs cooler and produces better power across the rev range, especially up top!
All after market pipes remove the cat for the scrambler, as it and the muffler are one piece. So if you want a new exhaust, you'll need to map it anyway. Rexxer tunes can be done by a lot of dealers and do the job well.

The airbox is fine standard. You can get a slightly less restrictive filter to add more induction noise but from tests done by others posted here, dramatically opening up the airbox just results in a big beefy midrange but a real reduction in top end power over stock. Moden bikes all run very lean to meet Euro4 regs, so manufacturers do a good job of getting a lot of air into the engine already.

Outside of the engine, the biggest complaint across the range are the seats. Fine for 1 hour spells but sore for longer rides. I bought an airhawk pad for long rides but there are plenty of aftermarket seats with improved cushioning out there. Just not many that look as good as the standard FT seat for me.

As with all other bikes I've owned, I immediately lose the crappy standard brake/clutch levers. I use CNC aluminium shorty eBay specials from China. Never had an issue. Cost £100's less than Pazzo etc...

The indicators on the Scrambler massive and ugly. Easily swapped with any LED replacements, with a bit of faffing around. No resistors required. The bike automatically adjusts to whatever you fit. I have LED's on the back and still have stock on front and it's fine. When fitting, they all worked even with just one single LED on one side.

Other mods I've done are:
Dropping to a 44T ally sprocket on the rear to drop the cruising revs below 6k at 75-80mph
DID chain
CNC bar end mirrors
Switching to Meztler Z8 tyres (Highly recommend. Don't look as cool but ride is smoother and bike turns much nicer)
Thanks for the detailed response.

For my Harleys, I don't use canned maps. I tune using a TTS tuning module, same one as the Dyno guys use.

Do Ducati Folks typically Dyno tune, or just flash canned maps? If Dyno tuning, what interface do they use?

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
... smallest, least obstructive piece of luggage, that's just big enough to carry a cell phone, keys, and registration? ...

For my Harleys, I don't use canned maps. I tune using a TTS tuning module, same one as the Dyno guys use.
Do Ducati Folks typically Dyno tune, or just flash canned maps? If Dyno tuning, what interface do they use?
For cell phone, keys, and registration only: I put the registration in the storage compartment under the seat, my keys clip into the pocket of my trousers, and the cell phone goes in the zipped inside front pocket of my jacket. My wallet goes into the zipped left pocket of my jacket. No luggage required.

For the first couple of weeks riding the FT, I bought a small, inexpensive, magnetically attached tank bag. It's big enough to carry my disk lock, the inner lining for my motorcycle jacket folded up neatly, my iPad Pro 9x7, and my AirPods as well as a couple of other incidentals like gloves and such. I ordered the Scrambler "Classic" bag mounts and bags ... they just arrived and it looks like the right side bag (a shorty to allow space for the exhaust) will do excellent service for iPad or small laptop and all the other small stuff that I was using the tank bag to carry, and has space for my camera too. It will probably replace use of the tank bag for these things.

ECU tuning: As far as I'm aware, the only engine tuning tool compatible with the Scrambler available so far is the Rexxer, other than the Ducati factory diagnostic/service tools. With Rexxer, you can:
a) have your ECU programmed by them as a "mail in and return" service
b) buy a Rexxer User unit ... this allows you to download and install a map that they configure to your specified configuration and also allows you to do TPS resets, clear service notifications, etc. You can restore the bike to the factory map or install your custom map as many times as you like.
c) buy a Rexxer Professional unit ... this allows you to download maps for multiple bikes, each developed for a fee.

They also offer a map development application that allows you to develop your own maps. It's quite expensive, though, and designed for people who are doing engine development with a full dynamometer setup, etc. You need a Rexxer Professional unit to use with it.

See Rexxer ECU Tuning, tune ups for European sports bikes and scooters in Yorktown, VA, a short drive away for customers in Newport News, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and Richmond for details.

Dynojet and other third-party ECU tuning tools list other Ducati models, but not the Scrambler as yet. I'd be happy to be informed otherwise ... :D

·
Registered
817 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response.
Thanks
My pleasure! Depends on what people want, the best map will obviously be a custom one. Rexxer's canned maps do the job well since the bike is fairly simple and the Scrambler isn't really about finding every last horsepower. Rexxer has lots of maps created for various aftermarket setups but the exhaust flow rate seems to be pretty constant across most options. My dealer said they use a variation based on the official Termi up map, which has proved the most successful for them.
If you want something more bespoke than loading in a Rexxer pre-made map, you can buy the Rexxer unit which should let you load in your own maps, if you want to test on the dyno. It's about 3x cost of a canned map but gives you a lot more freedom.

Ducati have 'locked down' the ECU and I'm not sure if anyone other that Rexxer has taken the time to get access. It's the only system I've heard mentioned for adjusting the actual ECU on here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why even mess w/ the mapping/fueling? Do you even get enough gains to offset the potential issues you may create ? My FTP is very linear, butter smooth on fueling and delivery, I would never mess with it unless I had heard of really solid gains.

My 2012 Hyper Evo SP was a different story & was not happy in the low rev range (buck n snort) I would have liked to get it tuned, but in the end I just didn't want to start throwing money at the issue. The scrambler is really the kind of bike I was looking for.

My Harley SuperGlide had pipe/tune & ran awesome, but I just haven't seen any hopped up Scramblers...am I missing an opportunity to get good gains ?

Edit- just saw the Rapidbike vs Rexxer thread...I'll read on that a while

1 - 20 of 46 Posts