Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be a daft question but is it possible to loose the seal between the tyre and rim. I'm asking because I went for a ride the other day got home put the bike in the garage and all was fine. Following day I decided to clean and re-lube the chain and at the same time cleaned the back wheel, spokes etc and then finally for some reason put some 'black tyre wall' stuff on the tyre walls. Went to go out on it the following day and the tyre was completely flat and as fast as I pumped it up it was loosing pressure immediately. No signs of a nail or screw in the tyre?
So just wondering - is it possible the liquid tyre dressing has made the seal break down?

Bt the way, I've done 3800 miles and the original tyre is best part of 80% worn.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You will only loose the seal if the tyre goes flat so something else caused the flat. If it is loosing pressure as fast as you say it should be easy to hear and feel exactly where it is coming from.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You mention spokes so I assume wire spokes ?
This means you have a tube therefor the tyre bead isn’t used to actually seal the air in as it escapes out the puncture hole, if not punctured but instead it’s a ruptured tube the air comes out the valve hole.
80% worn, is that to bald or the wear bars ? If it’s to bald then it sounds like time to change the tyre anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have found where it is leaking from - nearly every spoke and the valve?

It says on the tyre its tubeless - is that correct?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I have found where it is leaking from - nearly every spoke and the valve?

It says on the tyre its tubeless - is that correct?
Correct, the tyre is tubeless but not on your application.
You have tubes fitted due to the spokes not being sealed, the puncture could be anywhere and the spoke holes are just the escape route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts