Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Foot peg on gear change side snapped off when I had bike on stand. I was checking out stand for stability by standing up up on pegs when it just snapped. That will will teach me but would have expected it to easily take my weight- 12 stone (76kg).
I have replaced it with one of the pillion pegs as a temporary fix which seems to work well. I will contact dealer tomorrow but not expecting much. Meanwhile, if anyone has replaced theirs and have originals lying around I would interested in buying

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You were standing astraddle the bike with a foot on each peg? And you weigh about 168lb?

Sarah

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sarah
Yes, just to see how stable the bike was when on the stand. The stand is very stable!
I've had a look at the peg to see any obvious sign of weakness in the aluminium casting but nothing stands out. I guess it is just one of them things but thought it best to post in case it happens to others

·
Registered
227 Posts
The only time I ever snapped a peg off a bike, the peg was intact and the mount broke off the frame. And that was on a 70's dirt bike while racing. The Scrambler pegs appear to be cast and not machined. I would assume a poor cast.

I would take it to the dealer for replacement under warranty. You certainly didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Graeme. Please let us know how it goes at the dealership, that should be a warranty issue. And thanks very much for the head's up.

Sarah

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoke to dealer (Ducati Leeds) who will sort it out under warranty, just need to send photo.
Nuttynick, thanks for sending copy of article, the photograph shows the peg having snapped at the same position as mine.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm a bit concerned now, as I'm going to Morocco in April next year. Not only will I spend a lot of time stood on the pegs, but the thought of one breaking is a real worry :-( I'm beginning to think that this could be a possible recall?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nuttynick
My gut feeling it is just one of of those things and unlikely to be a common issue. I would have thought there have been a a lot incidents mentioned by now if there was a inherent design issue.
I did check out the other peg afterwards by exerting my full weight and bouncing up and down and it feels absolutely solid. I also placed the snapped section of the foot peg into a bench vice and gave it a few good belts with a soft mallet to see if was brittle.Again seemed fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a photo of the snapped foot rest. Any metallurgists out there? looks fine to me. The only thing I can think of is if there was a small flaw(can't see anything) at the sharp internal corner causing a possible stress raiser. Anyway,
IMG_0274.JPG
have sent picture off to Ducati Leeds

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Do we know how many out of 9000 plus Scramblers supplied have been affected so far?

We need to put some perspective on things like this.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
After the MCN broke one I decided to get a set of Billet / cast ones, I'm always standing on the pegs and I thought it wise to buy a set of Motech ones :)
Better safe than sorry :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts