Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Classic serviced a couple of months ago and they mentioned that there seemed to be some play in the fork bushes. If you rock the bike with the front brake on you can feel a knocking that seems to come from the forks.
I did hit a large pothole under a puddle early in the year. I was convinced that I had done some damage as it was such a bang. At least a dented rim, but no obvious damage at the time. I do have the Maxton kit fitted and not sure whether to ring them or take the forks off and get my dealer to check them out. I will probably take them off anyway and see if there is any obvious play.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

The knocking may also come from a loose steering bearing.

You should put your bike on a bike stand with the front wheel off the ground. Remove the wheel and then shake the fork back and forward, holding it by the lower part of the legs. If the bearing is loose, you will feel the fork movement and hear the knocking.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It'll be your floating disc, put a finger on it when rocking the bike with the brake on ( make sure it' not hot) and you should feel it in the disc. Ive had too scramblers and both had this sensation of loose head bearings.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It'll be your floating disc, put a finger on it when rocking the bike with the brake on ( make sure it' not hot) and you should feel it in the disc. Ive had too scramblers and both had this sensation of loose head bearings.
More likely the noise is from the pads moving within the calipers. When you hold the brake on and rock the bike back and forward the pads move with the disc as far as the calipers will allow them. This will give rise to a knocking sound, but that's not to say that you shouldn't check the steering head bearings

1 - 5 of 5 Posts