Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ooh... nice ... I've just blacked out my Icon ... I like your tank stickers ... about to put Enduro stickers on mine .. but like the look of yours.
How would you rate them by quality? Where can I get them? PLease share a link if possible.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ooh... nice ... I've just blacked out my Icon ... I like your tank stickers ... about to put Enduro stickers on mine .. but like the look of yours.
How would you rate them by quality? Where can I get them? PLease share a link if possible.
They are the urban enduro without the red x, so yours should look the same.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Baffles out on the termi? :evil4:[/QUOTE)
The best sound track money can buy, I dropped my bike off on Friday at Ducati and heard a bike in the background whilst I was on my way back to the wife's car and thought wow what's that! Looked across and it was the mechanic taking my bike round to the work shop! I never thought it sounded that good:love7:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Surely shouldn't a cafe racer have spoke wheels rather than cast as after all when we built the original cafe racers cast wheels were a thing of the future.
On that subject I did notice on the Ducati stand yesterday that the new full throttle had spoke wheels instead of cast.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Sure about that? Wasn't a special?

Btw, given the choice, you want cast wheels, really. The spokes rust and the cast wheels (and the lack of inner tubes!) apparently make about 10lbs difference in unsprung weight.

Just saying...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Surely shouldn't a cafe racer have spoke wheels rather than cast as after all when we built the original cafe racers cast wheels were a thing of the future.
On that subject I did notice on the Ducati stand yesterday that the new full throttle had spoke wheels instead of cast.
Sure about that? Wasn't a special?

Btw, given the choice, you want cast wheels, really. The spokes rust and the cast wheels (and the lack of inner tubes!) apparently make about 10lbs difference in unsprung weight.

Just saying...
I was just about to type a similar reply, it probably would look better but would leave my £375 conversion costing too much, reducing the performance and increasing the maintenance. Plus the Ducati cafe racer has cast wheels!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Cafe racers not only had spoke wheels with alloy rims but also ace bars which were the requisite in my day and they wouldn't have put a big hole in your budget for the authentic look.

Geoff.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Cafe racers back in the days had spoke wheels because that's what all bikes had back then.

just saying...

(unless you had a Honda which could have Comstar wheels)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Apologies to all if I offended you saying my bike was now Café style, when really it should have been Internet café racer due to having modern cast wheels and not ace bars. I feel I have misled you all by my foolish behaviour, I can meet you all tonight at café nero and the latte's are on me.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
As I understand it back in the day generally 'café racers' were put together by the boys that couldn't afford the 'real deal' and most of them wore wellingtons under their jeans. I am not being disrespectful to guys who had more ability in their little finger than I possess in total. Just repeating what the now aged rockers from the Ace Cafe say.
That being said I think most of their bikes would have had the cheaper cast wheels, freeing up money for morgo conversions, high lift cams, skimmed heads, drip feeders etc. :GB_bonesrock:

·
Registered
290 Posts
When I built my cafe racers as I've already stated cast wheel, comstar wheels weren't even on the horizon, it was spoked wheels with if you had the cash Dunlop or Italian produced alloy rims.
Ace bars were another necessity along with home made rear sets and of course a fly screen, Ashman boots with white seamens socks turned over the top of the boots and a black leather jacket with the really lucky guys having a helmet.
Thankfully things have move on but if you look at the Norton catalog you'll see that cafe racers in the old style are still available needless to say very expensive.

I'm only saying....Geoff.

and btw I have what I call a well modded scrambler that suits me just fine.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
A cafe racer was an insult given by track racers to anybody who didn’t race officially. The cafe boys up and down the country would play a rock’n’roll song on the duke box and see who was fastest around a given circuit and try to get back before the song finished.
This was usually done on modified old Brit bikes and none of them were on cast wheels as they were not on any bikes back then. Cast wheels didn’t appear until well into the 70s on Jap bikes long after the Rockers became ‘old’ Rockers.
It’s fashionable to say the Ace Cafe London is where it all started but I can assure you it was going on all over Scotland etc. at the same time too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts