Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

When removing the front brake pads, does the retaining pin just slide out or does it require unscrewing?
Unfortunately I'm away from my bike at the moment so I can't look myself.
I've looked at the workshop pdf and that says it slides out.
On my old bike, the Honda nc30, the retaining pin required to be unscrewed and then slid out.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Front is threaded. Remove the clip and screw the pin out with a 4mm allen key from the outside.

The rear pin is press fit. Again, remove the clip and gently tap it out through the hole in the outside of the caliper. Tap it towards the wheel.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front is threaded. Remove the clip and screw the pin out with a 4mm allen key from the outside.

The rear pin is press fit. Again, remove the clip and gently tap it out through the hole in the outside of the caliper. Tap it towards the wheel.

Thanks... managed to have a look and the pin is a torx bolt so will defo will be threaded. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I guess I was lucky then. I picked an allen key out of my toolbox and it fit. Never completely bowed down to look at the bolt head lol.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you guys and girls know the torque value of the retaining pin?

I've just changed the pads and the pin was hardly done up! I've nipped it up for now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't know, but can't be more that 10-15Nm imho.

(there's still the safety clip)
I'll try and find out! Lol

The other thing that occurred was that the new right hand pad fitted straight in but the new left pad didnt have enough of a gap.
Is it common for the one side of of the caliper to push the pistons out more than the other side?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Well, if you replace them you gotta make room (the new ones are prob thicker than the old ones. push the pistons back in while the old pads are still in there

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've just popped to my local bike garage (he used to work for Ducati and now preps race bikes), he said he just nips the pin up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts