Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I've just taken delivery of a used 2019 DS 1100 Sport, so I'm new to the fold. One of the first "mods" I make to a bike when I get it is to swap the straight tyre valves for metal side valves. I was a bit surprised to see the front tyre has a straight valve, and the rear a side valve. Looking through Google images, it seems that this is how they come stock, and not through any replacement by the previous owner. Not a problem - easy enough to change - but I'm trying to figure out the reasoning for this (if there is any). I would have thought they would both be the same.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Just a guess based on my 800… The rear valve is a PITA to get to. The front quite easy (with my pump anyhow).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine came setup the same (Front straight; Rear 90 degree angled). I would have also preferred to have the front at a 90 also, as it's a little tricky getting the gauge and pump head in the front with the brake rotors on both sides.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought two right angle valve extenders off ebay . makes checking and maintaining air pressure a doddle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'll be doing the same - I've put them on my other bike. Just struck me as a little odd.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ha, twin discs, I forgot. I top my tyres up with a small bike pump with a flexible pipe which works for me though I appreciate angled valves would be a lot easier and allow me to use my decent pump. Are they easy to change, like in a back yard with limited tools? :)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Ha, twin discs, I forgot. I top my tyres up with a small bike pump with a flexible pipe which works for me though I appreciate angled valves would be a lot easier and allow me to use my decent pump. Are they easy to change, like in a back yard with limited tools? :)
You really need to remove the wheels to knock the tyre off the rim at at least on one side. How you would fo that varies in a back yard but may not be as easy as it sounds without damaging the paint. Then you need to expose the valve from inside to remove it and fit your new one, make sure you have the correct size for the hole in the rim. (there’s a couple of sizes)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Mine came setup the same (Front straight; Rear 90 degree angled). I would have also preferred to have the front at a 90 also, as it's a little tricky getting the gauge and pump head in the front with the brake rotors on both sides.
Remember!
The Desert Sled has tubes, even although your tyre itself is a tubless

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
You really need to remove the wheels to knock the tyre off the rim at at least on one side. How you would fo that varies in a back yard but may not be as easy as it sounds without damaging the paint. Then you need to expose the valve from inside to remove it and fit your new one, make sure you have the correct size for the hole in the rim. (there’s a couple of sizes)
Figured as much! Thanks Hui - I shall stick to my pushbike pump ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks like they started doing this from the factory for the front wheel also, at least on the 2020 1100 Pro. I just happened to see this pic and didn't check if they did with other models.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts