Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I wondered if anyone else with a Desert Sled has come across this issue?

I have had my DS from new and have noticed the chain is too close to the swingarm and is grinding away the metal. I asked the local Ducati garage to look at this and they said there were no issues, which is bizarre. It is clear the front sprocket on my DS is located too far to the right (as sat on the bike) causing the chain to run at an angle and eat the swing arm by the front sprocket. These are the original chain and sprockets. The dealer I bought it from is closing down and is proving hard to get an appointment with.

You can see where the tracks are and the chain should run but it runs well to the right of the guides.

I'm assuming that either mine is the same as everyone's and this is a known issue and the front sprocket needs a spacer or something, or, mine was put together incorrectly. Thoughts appreciated.

IMG_6493.JPG

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hi all

I have had my DS from new and have noticed the chain is too close to the swingarm and is grinding away the metal. I asked the local Ducati garage to look at this and they said there were no issues, which is bizarre. It is clear the front sprocket on my DS is located too far to the right (as sat on the bike) causing the chain to run at an angle and eat the swing arm by the front sprocket. These are the original chain and sprockets. The dealer I bought it from is closing down and is proving hard to get an appointment with.

You can see where the tracks are and the chain should run but it runs well to the right of the guides.

I'm assuming that either mine is the same as everyone's and this is a known issue and the front sprocket needs a spacer or something, or, mine was put together incorrectly. Thoughts appreciated.

View attachment 36339
I’m away from my bikes at the moment to check properly but if I remember correctly the the front sprocket is like a Top-hat and if it were on the wrong way round then maybe this could be the problem.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi all

View attachment 36339
There is currently a guy selling an Icon on eBay with the same issue (it has a zard high mount). Its got to be a misaligned sprocket as I've run my chain mega slack and it never touched anything.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I’m away from my bikes at the moment to check properly but if I remember correctly the the front sprocket is like a Top-hat and if it were on the wrong way round then maybe this could be the problem.
Looks like Hui is spot on.

This is the shape of the front sprocket. The raised side should be facing the engine afaik.

D7A923D3-74DE-4BF5-9490-E8F4B0B71F24.jpeg

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Armo actually, I don't think this is funny. it's a shame imho.

It's obvious what's going on here, any dealer should see this is wrong, and probably easy to fix. I bet they haven't even taken the sprocket cover off....

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes - but now its a new swing arm - not just turn the sprocket around...

Also why is the brake pipe tyrapped like that also... that does not look right either... or was it done to take the photos?

·
Registered
900 Posts
The question is who pulled the bike apart and then put it back together wrong and the next question is if nobody has will Ducati cover it under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided to pay a surprise visit yesterday to my local dealer (where I bought it not where it was last serviced) armed with your comments. A mechanic had a look. It turns out the teeth on the front sprocket washer had completely ground off causing the positioning of the sprocket to float about on the cog.

Apparently this could be caused by incorrectly aligning the wheels when adjusting the chain causing wear on the washer? I have always adjusted on both sides of wheel so I cannot think this occurred due to something I did. In terms of mod work I have fitted a new exhaust and some Evotech parts but never anything in that area and the bike has had its 1st service and 1st annual service and that's it. Both by main dealers. Original chain and sprockets.

Regardless of that I still cannot believe the other dealer I took it to last week for a service and to have this looked at didn't alert me of this even though I highlighted the issue with the rubbing on the swingarm. I don't want to name and shame but all I can say is that with one good central London Ducati dealer closing and the next nearest being useless, getting decent Ducati service is a problem in the near future if you're in South London.

What would you advise next? It seems like Ducati will put this down to user error. I might not be an expert but I'm not stupid enough to have only adjusted one side of the chain tensioner bolts. I've ordered a new chain, sprockets and sprocket washer myself in the meantime. I am actually quite impressed the chain didn't break given how much grinding it was doing!

Also, on the brake line, I haven't moved it. I think it's always been like that.

·
Registered
900 Posts
What would you advise next? It seems like Ducati will put this down to user error. I might not be an expert but I'm not stupid enough to have only adjusted one side of the chain tensioner bolts.
It is not a case of simply adjusting the bolts you are supposed to be lining the chain up. When you tighten or adjust a chain an integral part of the procedure is that you ensure that the chain is both correctly tensioned AND running straight between the sprockets. If you are saying that you have adjusted the chain to mark 3 on one side and then adjusted the other side to mark 3 also without checking that the chain is straight then unfortunately it looks like it is most likely an error on your part. The adjustment marks on the swingarms are guides only they are not necessarily accurate in fact they rarely are due to manufacturing variations. Also after adjusting a chain check it again after you have tightened everything up. It is not unusual for things to move slightly during tightening.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I decided to pay a surprise visit yesterday to my local dealer (where I bought it not where it was last serviced) armed with your comments. A mechanic had a look. It turns out the teeth on the front sprocket washer had completely ground off causing the positioning of the sprocket to float about on the cog.

Apparently this could be caused by incorrectly aligning the wheels when adjusting the chain causing wear on the washer? I have always adjusted on both sides of wheel so I cannot think this occurred due to something I did. In terms of mod work I have fitted a new exhaust and some Evotech parts but never anything in that area and the bike has had its 1st service and 1st annual service and that's it. Both by main dealers. Original chain and sprockets.

Regardless of that I still cannot believe the other dealer I took it to last week for a service and to have this looked at didn't alert me of this even though I highlighted the issue with the rubbing on the swingarm. I don't want to name and shame but all I can say is that with one good central London Ducati dealer closing and the next nearest being useless, getting decent Ducati service is a problem in the near future if you're in South London.

What would you advise next? It seems like Ducati will put this down to user error. I might not be an expert but I'm not stupid enough to have only adjusted one side of the chain tensioner bolts. I've ordered a new chain, sprockets and sprocket washer myself in the meantime. I am actually quite impressed the chain didn't break given how much grinding it was doing!

Also, on the brake line, I haven't moved it. I think it's always been like that.

Sorry - but to me this makes no sense...

No matter how off centre the chain is being pulled - how does it grind off the locking washer tab... the chain can never hit the washer..

upload_2018-9-22_10-58-33.png

Assuming you were heavily side loading the sprocket badly because of chain alignment - I still do not see how this would wear the washer flanges - maybe the centre would wear out - and allow the whole thing to float.. after huge mileage? but that is doubtful as the load should be taken by the fit between the sprocket and shaft - with only a small amount of thrust on the face of the washer.

Plus even then the swing arm chain guide rubber should keep the chain on centre and also sprocket.

Was the sprocket damaged - because if that was the cause (chain misalignment) then I would expect the chain and front sprocket to show heavy wear..

It looks like if the washer was not there the sprocket could float in due to clearance.. but also possible the sprocket was fitted backwards as per Hui's first suggestion.

upload_2018-9-22_11-6-50.png

Unless they actually showed you the issue and parts - I guess we just have to take there word for it thats what happened...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Armo actually, I don't think this is funny. it's a shame imho.

It's obvious what's going on here, any dealer should see this is wrong, and probably easy to fix. I bet they haven't even taken the sprocket cover off....
Didn't realise I'd pressed funny! Sorry urbanrider!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for all your thoughts. Simon Audi, your thinking is the same as mine. I didn't feel I was in a position to argue with a Ducati mechanic but it seems odd that if slightly misaligning the chain (which I am not sure I did anyway), could grind all the teeth off the washer to that extent. The chain and sprockets have done 6k miles and just about need replacing but they are not that bad. I'll get some picks later but the washer is very rusted around where the teeth were. I've ACF50'd most parts several times last winter but didn't venture in this area. Given how critical this part is I'm not sure it should be this delicate. The sprocket is definitely on the right way round, so it all stems from the washer failing.

I did see the parts, nothing unusual other than the very rusted sprocket with no teeth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts