Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed today that the fuel gauge on the dash showed full even after my 80 mile ride. Then all of a sudden, it dropped two bars and now shows a little over half. How accurate is the fuel gauge? Is this normal? Thanks

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have never seen a fuel gauge on any motorcycle that was particularly accurate. Treat it as a guide only and do the old school trick of resetting the trip 2 meter to zero every time you fill up then you will know how far you have travelled and will over time have a fair idea how much fuel is in the tank without fretting about the gauge.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It's pretty accurate but it shows full for quite a while and then drops of pretty quickly.
I would always try to fuell up around the 220km mark. I always resst the mile counter on a tankstop as I feel this is the most reliable in the end.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Here is good information provided by Simon Audi:

Yes - thats how mine is - takes around 60 miles for any change to show on gauge then it drops to 1 mark above half.

Then in maybe 20 miles drops to half

Then another 20 miles - 1 mark below half and the Yellow light comes on

Normally for me yellow light comes on between 90 and 110 miles.

Then you have 20 to 30 miles left..

Same with the range estimate - not so accurate.

So yes - your experience is normal I would say...

Fill - wait till yellow light - then refill...

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have experienced that the amount of fuell after the yellow light does vary. Normally I have used about 10 litres when it pops on leaving at least 80km(5 ltr) but I also have had it pop on a little later leaving just 3,5 to 4 ltr.
So trying to make a tankstop every 220/240km gives me the savest feeling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noticed today that the fuel gauge on the dash showed full even after my 80 mile ride. Then all of a sudden, it dropped two bars and now shows a little over half. How accurate is the fuel gauge? Is this normal? Thanks
Thanks. Here is good information provided by Simon Audi:

Yes - thats how mine is - takes around 60 miles for any change to show on gauge then it drops to 1 mark above half.

Then in maybe 20 miles drops to half

Then another 20 miles - 1 mark below half and the Yellow light comes on

Normally for me yellow light comes on between 90 and 110 miles.

Then you have 20 to 30 miles left..

Same with the range estimate - not so accurate.

So yes - your experience is normal I would say...

Fill - wait till yellow light - then refill...
mine dropped to littie over half after 10miles after i filled, filled it again it took 1/4 gallon and never returned to full

1 - 7 of 7 Posts