Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Still going through the break-in period. Clocked 439 miles so far. Tonight I ran out of gas. Seems the gas light comes on too early for me at least. First time it came on at 90 miles. Was thinking perhaps the dealer didn't fill it up. Went straight to the gas station and it only took 2.8 gallons.
The last time it came on, I thought well I should be able to go at least another 30 miles or so. And at 33 miles it sputtered and that was it. Got off the bike and was taking off my gloves and helmet when a guy in a truck pulled up and asked if I needed help. I got to use the hazard lights for the first time. I said yeah, just ran out of gas and then he says, lucky you I happen to have some gas right now. So he gave me half a gallon or so and I was on my way.
Anyways, in case you were all wondering, you got about 30 miles max when the gas light comes on to get some petrol!

·
Registered
365 Posts
It sounds like you are also getting pretty low gas mileage. My light usually comes on at about 120, and I'm almost always right at 45 mpg. I have almost 3500 miles on it so far, and it's been within 1-2 mpg on every tank.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is true. Not getting no where near 45mpg. More like 34-35mpg. This is the break in period, and I am running hard up and down the gears up to 6k rmp. Guys at the dealership said, you can run it up to 6k, but just don't stay at 5-6k for too long. Just logged 504 miles since I took delivery July 3. I should hit 600 by Saturday morning in time for the first service. Then it's "balls out"! Ride it like you stole it....LOL.
I do hope I get better gas mileage, however I didn't buy this bike or any other bike for gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
That is true. Not getting no where near 45mpg. More like 34-35mpg. This is the break in period, and I am running hard up and down the gears up to 6k rmp. Guys at the dealership said, you can run it up to 6k, but just don't stay at 5-6k for too long. Just logged 504 miles since I took delivery July 3. I should hit 600 by Saturday morning in time for the first service. Then it's "balls out"! Ride it like you stole it....LOL.
I do hope I get better gas mileage, however I didn't buy this bike or any other bike for gas mileage.
Remember, don't go for service until at least 622 miles (1000km) or you will have to return to the dealer to have the warning lamp put out. (They can't re-set a lamp that's not on)
The lamp won't come on while riding but will stay on only after switching on, if, the mileage was reached during the previous ride.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Not sure how US and UK gallons differ, but I've gone 30 miles after the fuel light has come on and still had a few litres left (can't remember how many!). But my mpg does vary from between 56-63 mpg so I suppose it depends on how I ride it as to how far I can go!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've done 15 miles with the light on, but no more than that yet. I get the light on at around 120 miles. Don't forget after the first service, you're still running in until 2,500 km. The handbook says not to exceed 7,000rpm until then from memory?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really, still running in and not to exceed 7,000rpm? Ooops! Well, just had the first service done today and I opened her up. I'm pretty sure I exceeded 7,000rpm. Got it up to 115mph. Couldn't resist. Of course I didn't stay at 115mph. Too much turbulence above 80mph. I'm definitely getting a windscreen, and frame sliders.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Today bike went totally dead... light on and it read 57KM
I was thinking that 4L of reserve should put me in 70KM+ range, but I was wrong.. pushed a good 1.5KM to the kiosk :chargrined:
The light came on and went off a few times before it became steady-on, maybe due to the terrains I was riding..
Put a total of 13.3L into the tank (13.5L full tank according to the manual), and it ran about 265KM in total..

Lesson learned

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Not sure how US and UK gallons differ, but I've gone 30 miles after the fuel light has come on and still had a few litres left (can't remember how many!). But my mpg does vary from between 56-63 mpg so I suppose it depends on how I ride it as to how far I can go!
A U.S. Gallon is smaller than a UK gallon.

U.S. Gallon = 4 litres
UK gallon = 4.54 litres

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hey everyone,
Still going through the break-in period. Clocked 439 miles so far. Tonight I ran out of gas. Seems the gas light comes on too early for me at least. First time it came on at 90 miles. Was thinking perhaps the dealer didn't fill it up. Went straight to the gas station and it only took 2.8 gallons.
The last time it came on, I thought well I should be able to go at least another 30 miles or so. And at 33 miles it sputtered and that was it. Got off the bike and was taking off my gloves and helmet when a guy in a truck pulled up and asked if I needed help. I got to use the hazard lights for the first time. I said yeah, just ran out of gas and then he says, lucky you I happen to have some gas right now. So he gave me half a gallon or so and I was on my way.
Anyways, in case you were all wondering, you got about 30 miles max when the gas light comes on to get some petrol!
Thanks for the info, don't fancy walking pushing a bike!!

Reactions: DaveK

·
Registered
59 Posts
A U.S. Gallon is smaller than a UK gallon.

U.S. Gallon = 4 litres
UK gallon = 4.54 litres
Just to be completely accurate:-

U.S. Gallon = 3.785 litres

which makes an imperial gallon near as dammit 1.2 US gallons

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Just to be completely accurate:-

U.S. Gallon = 3.785 litres

which makes an imperial gallon near as dammit 1.2 US gallons
My bad :p

I kept it to round numbers as our American cousins don't understand the metric system and something like 3.785 would surely fry their brains ;)

·
Registered
834 Posts
Today bike went totally dead... light on and it read 57KM
I was thinking that 4L of reserve should put me in 70KM+ range, but I was wrong.. pushed a good 1.5KM to the kiosk :chargrined:
The light came on and went off a few times before it became steady-on, maybe due to the terrains I was riding..
Put a total of 13.3L into the tank (13.5L full tank according to the manual), and it ran about 265KM in total..

Lesson learned

1 - 20 of 39 Posts