Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just clocked up 1000 miles on my FT, I thought the seat would be breaking in by now, but to be honest after a couple of hours in the saddle it's killing me!
More specifically my tailbone, to the point where if I get off, it's somewhat painful and daunting getting back on.
I assume it's because that part of my anatomy is pressed against the step/ridge.

I have thought about going to see a re-upholsterer and having it built up, possibly with a Gel pad insert and making it more of a single level seat, but thought I'd ask and see how others are coping with this (or is it just me?)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I have the classic so it's got a different seat. I rode 350 mile plus days when I went up to Scotland a few weeks back. I seriously didn't have any issues.

I spent 7 hours in the saddle on Saturday, only stopping for fuel, and again I was ok.

·
Registered
164 Posts
here is my FT with seat modifications
Had additional foam added to front section to level out the step a little, and then shaped so your tailbones don't take all the weight.
Still has small ridge (moved back about 2.5 cms) and a small 'cup' shape to hold my arse better.
I stay fairly planted in the right spot for me.
Can ride for much longer now and no pain like before

20150901_131328.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Until someone makes a pan without the dreaded "ridge" we will all suffer, with the possible exception of our friend, The Bull.:evil:

As you know, I modified my stock pan and had Sargent straighten the foam and re-cover the silly thing. It's much better, but still not perfect during a full day in the saddle. They are working on a couple of alternatives, including new pans. Still a few months left for them to bring product to market.

Anybody heard anything from any other seat makers?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Until someone makes a pan without the dreaded "ridge" we will all suffer, with the possible exception of our friend, The Bull.:evil:

As you know, I modified my stock pan and had Sargent straighten the foam and re-cover the silly thing. It's much better, but still not perfect during a full day in the saddle. They are working on a couple of alternatives, including new pans. Still a few months left for them to bring product to market.

Anybody heard anything from any other seat makers?
I haven't seen a seat with the cover and foam off, so aren't entirely sure what you mean about the "ridge"

I was going to se a reupholstered today, but they've put me off until next week

·
Registered
229 Posts
The ridge is what's making your tailbone sore. Look at the bottom of your seat. You will see the pan is "S" shaped with a recess in it to hold your tool kit. There's the rub. The overall shape of the pan along with the additional bump of the tool holder translates through the foam to become a ridge where your tailbone rests.

I cut out the recess on mine, filled in the area with seat foam and riveted a piece of metal over it. Sargent's Seats in Jacksonville added additional foam to the original on top, making it more of a straight bench and then made a new cover for it.

Again, it's better, but until that "S" shape of the pan gets straightened out as much as possible, we will continue to have the problem.

Placing a new cover over your existing pan and foam will not fix your problem.

I'd recommend waiting until someone comes out with a
"real" cure. Shouldn't be much longer.

Cliff

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very interesting, thanks
The ridge is what's making your tailbone sore. Look at the bottom of your seat. You will see the pan is "S" shaped with a recess in it to hold your tool kit. There's the rub. The overall shape of the pan along with the additional bump of the tool holder translates through the foam to become a ridge where your tailbone rests.

I cut out the recess on mine, filled in the area with seat foam and riveted a piece of metal over it. Sargent's Seats in Jacksonville added additional foam to the original on top, making it more of a straight bench and then made a new cover for it.

Again, it's better, but until that "S" shape of the pan gets straightened out as much as possible, we will continue to have the problem.

Placing a new cover over your existing pan and foam will not fix your problem.

I'd recommend waiting until someone comes out with a
"real" cure. Shouldn't be much longer.

Cliff

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have just been on Sergeants website and seen the short vid of the seat and pre registered
Very nice :)

Thanks for the heads up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts