Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new to me stock 2015 Full Throttle about a two months ago. I have been slowing chipping away at the comfort, aesthetic, and safety mods ever since. I finally finished putting her all together and am super happy with the way it finished. Thanks to all the trailblazers on this forum for the inspiration and assistance (long time lurker)

Mods thus far:
  • Removed all of the yellow stuff and frame stickers
  • Painted behind tank panels (materials - $40)
  • Added retro Ducati sticker to tank panels (bought off etsy 10" size ($15)
  • Removed OEM mirrors replaced with bar end mirrors and then swapped again for bar end mirrors that have elevated arms (both from ebay $20)- much less time to peak at while driving
  • Evotech sliders - frame, front & rear wheels (direct from evotech $190)
  • HP Corse Hydroform exhaust ($550 - ebay) - it was too loud with out Db killer and too soft with it in, so I sawed off the inner tube of Db killer now it is perfect, minimal backfire but rattles the neighbors if I "get on it"
  • Pipes - started off with black wrap ($50) but then removed it as soon as I finished because I did not like it. Ceramic coated pipes ($140 - local) - before you ask, yes I removed all of the pieces. It was a giant pain in the *ss. I had to remove the battery and almost everything in the battery compartment then pry it up. I also had to remove the rear frame bolt and make the rear shock the highest preload. AND remove the plastic panel that is the inside fender well for the rear tire - took about two hours to remove and two hours to install just this piece. The other parts took like 5 min though.
  • Grips ($20)
  • Seat - painted the yellow first ($20). Hated the ride, then tried the seat mod that removes part of the seat pan - better but still sucked. Decided to "buy once, cry once" and get a Sargent seat ($400) - I caught the Christmas in July sale and saved $60. Words cannot describe the improvement in comfort. I can go for hours now. Although it is about an inch shorter than OEM, it is at least one inch wider which I believe is a part of the comfort. The foam is actually stiffer than OEM, but is very comfortable.
  • Removed the fuel evap canister
  • Tail tidy ($35 amazon)
  • Throttle tamer (on order)

Still being considered, but longer term after the wallet has a break for a while....
  • Front suspension - Andreani springs
  • Rear suspension - K-tech
  • Rexxer ecu map, if not then a booster plug

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
LOVE IT!

Have you got a link to the mirrors and do they seem good quality - I keep looking at the Rizoma Retros but geeze they're exxy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's right purty, sir! :D

Very nice. I'm similarly working through a series of changes to my FT as well. I put Ducati's "Comfort Seat" on: It gives me another inch of legroom. Did the tail tidy, new stickers for the tank just arrived, next up is bars and levers, already did CRG bar end mirrors. I'd like to improve the lighting overall so an LED headlight is a likely as well as LED turn indicators. Holding off on the exhaust for the moment.. photos another time.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Wow! If I were to splurge on a seat, it'd be a Sargent. Good job on catching the Christmas sale.

Sarah

·
Registered
255 Posts
Looks very nice ... good job.

I need to find someone in the UK who can remove my pipes so I can get them powder coated as well.

I'm not handy enough to do this myself.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've seen a few Scramblers with black exhausts ... some coat the springs, some don't ... was there a reason you didn't do yours?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did you modify that tail tidy ? Looks like the one I bought also, but it's actually for a Scrambler w/ a rear fender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOVE IT!

Have you got a link to the mirrors and do they seem good quality - I keep looking at the Rizoma Retros but geeze they're exxy.

Here is the link to the mirrors I bought. There are several other sellers on ebay that offer as well.

UNIVERSAL MOTORBIKE BAR END REARVIEW MIRRORS 7/8" PAIR MOTORCYCLE/BIKE BLACK | eBay

The part that "mounts" the mirror to the bar end is rubbish though. It is a big rubber washer that compresses and expands as you tighten the allen bolt. Otherwise the quality seems good

I previously had these mirrors on there and the attachment they use are much more secure and actually lock in place. I swapped these to the new ones. I would encourage you to look for mirrors that have this option for mounting.

7/8" Universal Motorcycle CNC Aluminum Arrow 22 Bar End Side Rearview Mirrors | eBay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen a few Scramblers with black exhausts ... some coat the springs, some don't ... was there a reason you didn't do yours?
Honestly, I just assumed that it would crack off the springs when they extended so I didn't include them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you modify that tail tidy ? Looks like the one I bought also, but it's actually for a Scrambler w/ a rear fender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the tail tidy I bought:

Amazon.com: Ducati Scrambler Fender Eliminator Kit Tail Tidy for Ducati Scrambler Icon Urban 2015 2016 2017: Automotive

The mounting holes were too small for the screws so I drilled them to increase the size, other than that no modification was necessary. It is made of aluminum so it was easy to drill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks very nice ... good job.

I need to find someone in the UK who can remove my pipes so I can get them powder coated as well.

I'm not handy enough to do this myself.
Allen wrenches, star bit wrench, 10mm wrench & socket, 15mm socket and a whole lot of patience....

Make sure that you get them ceramic coated and not powder coated. Ceramic is temps up to 1200C vs Powder coating temps up to 300C. The first bend of the exhaust from the header reaches temps that exceed 650C.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Here is the link to the mirrors I bought. There are several other sellers on ebay that offer as well.

UNIVERSAL MOTORBIKE BAR END REARVIEW MIRRORS 7/8" PAIR MOTORCYCLE/BIKE BLACK | eBay

The part that "mounts" the mirror to the bar end is rubbish though. It is a big rubber washer that compresses and expands as you tighten the allen bolt. Otherwise the quality seems good

I previously had these mirrors on there and the attachment they use are much more secure and actually lock in place. I swapped these to the new ones. I would encourage you to look for mirrors that have this option for mounting.

7/8" Universal Motorcycle CNC Aluminum Arrow 22 Bar End Side Rearview Mirrors | eBay
I use the CRG Hindsight Lanesplitter round version bar-end mirrors. CNC machined and the clamps go right on the ends of the handlebar, if you have space, or you can use the optional end mount adapters similar to what you showed in your second link. I used the adapters on the stock FT bar, but will mount them directly on the bar as soon as I install the new Rizoma handlebars.

·
Registered
234 Posts
This is the tail tidy I bought:

Amazon.com: Ducati Scrambler Fender Eliminator Kit Tail Tidy for Ducati Scrambler Icon Urban 2015 2016 2017: Automotive

The mounting holes were too small for the screws so I drilled them to increase the size, other than that no modification was necessary. It is made of aluminum so it was easy to drill.
I used the EVOTech ... they have different models for the FT and Icon to accommodate the different tail configurations. I used the Icon model since I've installed the Icon rear fender (I like the way it completes the line of tank > side panel > seat). The mount is nicely made and fits perfectly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Allen wrenches, star bit wrench, 10mm wrench & socket, 15mm socket and a whole lot of patience....

Make sure that you get them ceramic coated and not powder coated. Ceramic is temps up to 1200C vs Powder coating temps up to 300C. The first bend of the exhaust from the header reaches temps that exceed 650C.
My prediction would be I get half way through and end up screwing it up ...

Yes to Ceramic coating .... this is the outfit I intend to use ...
Exhaust motorcycle coating for all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts