Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

There is much talk about throttle tubes on this site already. Checking out the info I could find and asking questions on this page (people are super helpful especially MaxKool, dude knows his stuff). So thanks for all the help people.

It was determined that I would prefer the old style throttle tube that came in pre-17 model scramblers, as I am not a fan of how mellow my new Desert Sled was off idle. People complained of these being too "twitchy". Which I could understand if I was in the city battling traffic. I am not. I would expect a bike like this to be able to pop the front end up with ease, without having to abuse my clutch. So the search began.

There are many used, pre-17 model, white plastic tubes to be had on ebay, I assume because they've switched to either the new "stock" throttle tube that now comes on all scrambler models or a G2 throttle tamer, which is an aftermarket, aluminum tube (there's tones of info on this forum about them). To buy a used one, it's cheap and worth it to try, if you don't live in Canada that is. Shipping and duties would triple the cost for me and I still have a used part. Just not my style. Armed with all the info I found, I contacted G2. Here's what I found...

I can buy a "stock ratio" aluminum throttle tube from them to get what I'm looking for and take it back to the twitchy one that others don't like. This is the link: https://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-stock-ratio-throttle-tube/
I ended up getting the kit that has 3 cam options, as it was suggested that the largest cam may be too aggressive. The cams that it comes with are the 100, 650x and 600xx. I was so excited to get them and play with my scrambler! The 100 cam is the aggressive one(or twitchy), the 650x is closer to current stock on my bike and the 600xx is somewhere in between as claimed by G2. I wish I could find you the link for the kit I received but packaging showed up without a parts tag on it. The guys at G2 were super helpful, just contact them if desired.

Unboxing the tube, it looks like a quality part. I naturally put the 100 cam on the tube first. Put the 2 tubes side by side and had a look. The cam is noticeably larger. The tube is also slightly longer and comes with a removable end cap, which seals with an o-ring. The length might be an issue if you have bar end mirrors and you're keen on not moving in your controls. I installed the tube on my bike (don't forget to adjust your cable to allow for changes). And went for a ride!

The 100 is as expected. Twitchy and fun as hell in my opinion. The power hits 4000 rpm in 1 sec instead of 3 seconds and made the bike feel like it has more torque off the line. The throw is obviously shorter to w.o.t. as well. I was quite happy! Saying that, I can understand why you wouldn't want it this way if your in traffic all the time or maybe a newer rider. It certainly takes more attention.

Next I installed the 600xx. I can say that this would be an improvement over my stock ratio tube, but not nearly as noticeable as the 100. It comes on earlier than stock and gets there slightly quicker. I'm on the fence wether this one would be worth it to go to over stock as you can really eliminate a lot of lag by getting rid of the free play in the throttle cable. I did really notice the "dead spot" in fuel injection with this one. Which is obviously a mapping thing and I hope to have that eliminated when my rexxer shows up. Different topic.

Unfortunately, riding season is over this year and I didn't get a chance to try out the 650 yet. It will have to wait for spring. I already know that the 100 cam will be my forever choice. Hope this helps for anyone looking for info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The stock tube was too lazy for me as well, felt like riding with a pillion. Ron, I saw in another thread you were asking about a G2 Quick Turn. I put one on my 2018 DS. The kit just needed a 142mm tube in order to match the length of the stock tube. It's a very easy install, everything fits right up. I got the 050x and 100x cam along with the 025x that comes with the kit. I've only had the 025x on so far. Personal preference is of course personal, so I can't say if this is for everyone. For me, commuting in traffic, on my bike (solid mount Renthal Enduro bars), the quick turn has been a big improvement.

Quick Turn cam info from G2 (I don't know if this is for all G2 cams or just cams for the quick turn).
025x - 20% larger than stock, comes with Quick Turn System Kit.
050x - 10% larger than stock.
100x - Stock size.
200x - 10% smaller radius at throttle off position. Begins ramping up to stock size radius at approximately half throttle.
300x - 15% smaller radius at throttle off position. Begins ramping up to stock size radius at approximately half throttle.
400x - 20% smaller radius at throttle off position. Begins ramping up to stock size radius at approximately half throttle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello All,

There is much talk about throttle tubes on this site already. Checking out the info I could find and asking questions on this page (people are super helpful especially MaxKool, dude knows his stuff). So thanks for all the help people.

It was determined that I would prefer the old style throttle tube that came in pre-17 model scramblers, as I am not a fan of how mellow my new Desert Sled was off idle. People complained of these being too "twitchy". Which I could understand if I was in the city battling traffic. I am not. I would expect a bike like this to be able to pop the front end up with ease, without having to abuse my clutch. So the search began.

There are many used, pre-17 model, white plastic tubes to be had on ebay, I assume because they've switched to either the new "stock" throttle tube that now comes on all scrambler models or a G2 throttle tamer, which is an aftermarket, aluminum tube (there's tones of info on this forum about them). To buy a used one, it's cheap and worth it to try, if you don't live in Canada that is. Shipping and duties would triple the cost for me and I still have a used part. Just not my style. Armed with all the info I found, I contacted G2. Here's what I found...

I can buy a "stock ratio" aluminum throttle tube from them to get what I'm looking for and take it back to the twitchy one that others don't like. This is the link: https://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-stock-ratio-throttle-tube/
I ended up getting the kit that has 3 cam options, as it was suggested that the largest cam may be too aggressive. The cams that it comes with are the 100, 650x and 600xx. I was so excited to get them and play with my scrambler! The 100 cam is the aggressive one(or twitchy), the 650x is closer to current stock on my bike and the 600xx is somewhere in between as claimed by G2. I wish I could find you the link for the kit I received but packaging showed up without a parts tag on it. The guys at G2 were super helpful, just contact them if desired.

Unboxing the tube, it looks like a quality part. I naturally put the 100 cam on the tube first. Put the 2 tubes side by side and had a look. The cam is noticeably larger. The tube is also slightly longer and comes with a removable end cap, which seals with an o-ring. The length might be an issue if you have bar end mirrors and you're keen on not moving in your controls. I installed the tube on my bike (don't forget to adjust your cable to allow for changes). And went for a ride!

The 100 is as expected. Twitchy and fun as hell in my opinion. The power hits 4000 rpm in 1 sec instead of 3 seconds and made the bike feel like it has more torque off the line. The throw is obviously shorter to w.o.t. as well. I was quite happy! Saying that, I can understand why you wouldn't want it this way if your in traffic all the time or maybe a newer rider. It certainly takes more attention.

Next I installed the 600xx. I can say that this would be an improvement over my stock ratio tube, but not nearly as noticeable as the 100. It comes on earlier than stock and gets there slightly quicker. I'm on the fence wether this one would be worth it to go to over stock as you can really eliminate a lot of lag by getting rid of the free play in the throttle cable. I did really notice the "dead spot" in fuel injection with this one. Which is obviously a mapping thing and I hope to have that eliminated when my rexxer shows up. Different topic.

Unfortunately, riding season is over this year and I didn't get a chance to try out the 650 yet. It will have to wait for spring. I already know that the 100 cam will be my forever choice. Hope this helps for anyone looking for info.
I have the 650X cam on my Beta 500 and it's great! It's very progressive with smooth control down low then ramps up fast from about 1/3 to 3/4 throttle then tapers off to WOT.

I am planning to modify the OEM A cam (very fast) on my heated grips to mimic the 650X cam profile.

Here's how the profile looks. This image was created for comparing the 700X (tamer) profile with the 650X progressive profile.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I machined my own progressive throttle cam profile in my OEM heated trips. This profile rocks, it's smooth and controllable from idle to about 1/4 throttle then ramps up progressively giving an excellent agressive feel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know the OP dropped this a year ago, but as a fellow Canadian DS owner, Im not sure what prices he was seeing with regard to the pre-17 throttle tubes being too expensive to bring into Canada. Ducati Monster 696 796 1100 OEM Throttle Tube | eBay this was brought to my attention via MaxKool and will cost me a total of $48.00 CAD to get it.... cheaper if I use my NY P.O. box. The G2 is $80USD or there abouts.... gonna stick with the used pre-'17 solution ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All,

I can buy a "stock ratio" aluminum throttle tube from them to get what I'm looking for and take it back to the twitchy one that others don't like. This is the link: G2 Ergonomics

Hello, is this the one you got?

Enviado desde mi motorola one zoom mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Must admit i'm tempted too. Since getting the Rexxer map the power delivery is nice and smooth but the linearity does feel a little tame at times.

OP, if you're still about how did you find things after the remap?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got an older tube looking to trade for one of the "lazy" ones

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys, just picked up a 2020 DS. Anyone aware of any differences between the 2017-2019 throttle tubes and the 2020 version? Asking b/c on the G2 website, it specifically notes '17 - '19 when making selections, but makes no reference to '20.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my old hot rodding days we referred to lack of throttle response in a car when you stepped on the gas as like stepping on an over ripe peach. Late model Scramblers fit that description perfectly. With the sock throttle my 2019 Desert Sled had to be rung out hard to get it going. Having just traded in a 161 HP Mulitstrada Enduro because of the 600 lb weight, riding the Desert Sled was a snoozefest and down right dangerous in traffic or off-road. No throttle response. After reading this forum I contacted G2. I agree with Double-A-ron on the responsiveness of G2. Gary was great. Below are the descriptions he gave me for the optional cams.

650x cam

Begins at 19.5mm (30% larger than stock), then ramps to 23mm

690x cam

This is a circular cam at 16mm (6.7% larger)

600xx

Mildly progressive cam starts at 25mm (66% larger) and ramps to 28mm.

In his email to me he refers to the 600xx as the competition cam. He did not offer the 100, so I can't speak to that.

I ended up getting the 600xx and the 650x. I did my first bit of testing around town. The 650x was first. The difference between stock is immediately apparent coming of the line. The bike is comes alive. The throttle action from zero to 1/2 pull is much improved. When you are riding along at 3000-4000 rpm the bike has some pep when you twist the throttle. The tachometer jumps instead of ramping up.

The 600xx also comes off the line quickly, but the progression is different. To me it felt like it had slightly less hit in the mid-range. Of course my brief testing was done partially in traffic and in lightly travelled commercial areas. I plan to head out through the mountains to the desert next week. I will be able to hit the twisties on the road and some single track in the dez. I will take both tubes to get a better idea of the difference under more extreme conditions.

In any case, for us folks looking for more response from our docile late model Scramblers, a new throttle tube should be the first modification. It is an immediate low dollar improvement. A lot of guys immediately look for an exhaust. I am a former racer and have experience tuning bikes. These pollution controlled bikes run a bit warm because they are lean. If you put a pipe on without an ECU reflash the bike will be louder AND it will likely run hotter because it will be leaner. You won't get a ton of noticeable improvement in responsiveness...if any. Start with the tube 650x or 600xx with the improved cam, then if you want, move on to a new exhaust system (with ECU flash) and a high flow air filter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok....after reading about the 100xx above I spoke with Gary at G2. He sent my the 400xx, which he says is the 100xx for later model bikes. Mine is a 2019.

YEE HAW.....! Finally the Ducati Demso Twin awakens. Seriously, the bike has much better response everywhere. After I installed the new cam I did a 200 mile ride out through the mountains to the desert. With the stock throttle riding the twisties was not that fun. The bike was so muted in the initial throttle response, you had to work to be fluid through the turns. With the 400xx the throttle response is instant. Some would say twitchy....I say responsive. Because I did not have to work the long throttle pull I was able to short shift up through the gears. I am not talking about hauling butt flat out, I am talking about doing what I call "dancing". I lead and the bike follows. You get in rhythm so to speak.

The bike is so much more responsive than stock, I was actually wondering how it would do in the dirt. Where I ended up riding was a sandy two track jeep trail in Anza Borrego. My desert sled had stock suspension (dialed in) with the stock Pirelli Scorpions. I chose not to lower my tire pressure because I was only doing about 12 miles. Being a 400 + pound motorcycle the front end can plow a bit in the sand. When I hit the dirt my worries about the quickness of the throttle ended. The newly found snap in the throttle allowed me to use power to push my way out of trouble. With the stock throttle tube I would have ended up upside down.

I am with Double-a-ron, the 100xx/400xx cams are the way to go if you want the Desmo to act like a Desmo.....good usable power everywhere. If you are a less experienced rider, you might want to start with the 650x. I actually thought its throttle response was stronger off the line and in the first part of the twist than the 600xx. BTW....in laymen's terms, per G2 the 600xx is still slightly milder off the line than the "twitchy" 2015 tube.

For more info....email Gary Grimes at G2 Ergonomics.

Desert Duc.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts