Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, planning for the winter upgrades of my -19 Desert Sled I am trying to find a nice looking gas cap to replace the original stuff. So I found these Pramac labelled stuff that looks nice, but it states that it only fits the Icon and other Scramblers. But I assume that the gastank is the same on all 800cc scramblers so it will fit mine as well ?

https://www.cncracing.com/images_web/prod/1200x/TS423RPR_TS423SPR_609.jpg
They are availble in carbon but I think that alu is the proper way to go.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The Desert Sled was introduced a couple of years after the four original Scramblers. They probably have just not updated their web site.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, googling a bit and went looking at mine it should fit perfectly. A pramac labelled gascap it is then :)

Simon Audi: well, I am mentally older than 14 but I'll give that cap an A for originality :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Prefer the clean design of the Rizoma ones myself but that looks good.

I've been tempted to just get my standard cap Cerakoted black. Might look a lot better.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Factory design can’t catch a break lol Either you’re just bored or looking for flaws, tell me whats horrible about the factory locking gas cap??
:violent4:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Factory design can’t catch a break lol Either you’re just bored or looking for flaws, tell me whats horrible about the factory locking gas cap??
:violent4:
It’s not that it looks bad. It’s actually fairly nice but it’s an item built to a budget.
Likely a stamped piece of metal.

After market CNC machines pieces are much higher quality and detailed in their design.

Also.... RACEBIKE!

·
Registered
52 Posts
It’s not that it looks bad. It’s actually fairly nice but it’s an item built to a budget.
Likely a stamped piece of metal.

After market CNC machines pieces are much higher quality and detailed in their design.

Also.... RACEBIKE!

This is actually a great topic of debate. RACEBIKE, I get it, everything has to look faster than it is haha *whooosh noises*

But what happened to the solid and tested craftsmanship of the golden age? I would argue that the stock cap looks more correct than maybe anything else you could find. It’s high pressure cast aluminum, so it’s already a high end finish and pretty light weight, considering. It even flips up and stays like the old ones did, it won’t slip off and bounce in the dirt while you pound that big gulp at the 76 station. We all bought into the throwback look of the scrambler on some level, and I think the guys who inked it did a pretty good job. It’s a fine line to bring something forward almost 60 years and somehow keep an analog feel, in a digital high speed world.
Scramblers of all marks were never super race track looking bikes. If I wanted that look I’d buy a Monster (actually I did haha, still love that bike)

Anyways, I say keep it tastefully classic. That’s my vote. For sake and respect of our grandfathers, I give you the 69’ Scrambler. Bloodlines. *makes fist*
38F0E01B-C35B-4CAA-81BF-C40480556CCE.jpeg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The main reason I want to switch gascap is that the original one bothers me everytime I need to get fuel. It's heavy, needs to have the when locking and I don't really like the 'born free' engraving, a bit too much hipster for me. If I can get hold of anything that fits and looks like that 60s cap I will probably go for it.

And yes, it's an old bike in new styling with some modern stuff like injection :)

So for me the Cnc or Rizoma stuff fits perfectly mostly because they are discreet and clean looking. And for me it is just another one of those 'modern stuff' addons. The carbon fiber stuff does not do it for me, that is too much of racebike feel.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I don't think it goes against the mantra of the Scrambler.
Ducati very clearly intended this bike to be a blank canvas, hence the custom rumble competitions.

Nothing wrong with a bit of customisation...
One of the most extreme changes to the tank was done by one of my favourite modified Scramblers.
Very big but also quite subtle mod from Rough Crafts.

As filler caps go it's not a bad one but I love the super clean look of the Rizoma one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was a cool mod with the dash as gascap :)

Agreee that the rizoma one is nice too. Have see some other Rizoma stuff and it is always nice looking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Rizoma one seems to have some tamper protection that requires a 'key' thingie, feels like that is something easily lost and will prbably bug me needing a key anyway :) And yeah, I am a MotoGP/Superbike afficionado so sponsring the Pramac Ducati team feels good :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Rizoma one seems to have some tamper protection that requires a 'key' thingie, feels like that is something easily lost and will prbably bug me needing a key anyway :) And yeah, I am a MotoGP/Superbike afficionado so sponsring the Pramac Ducati team feels good :)
There’s a Pramac 796 Monster out there, it’s damn tasty. :tongue8:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts