Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! About to pick up a 2015 UE w/ 5900 miles on it. Very excited! Seems to fairly well maintained. Two questions for the owners out there.
Is it true that there is no true gas gauge on the bike...or rather, by the time the actual gas light comes on, your basically already empty and in trouble (lol)?
AND what’s been your average mpg or mp tank with your UE?
Thanks all! Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yup - no fuel gauge on the older models. On my 2015 Icon I find I get around 130 miles from a tank before the fuel light comes on, and then at most 25 miles before I lose my bottle. YMMV :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
2015 ICON. 50-60mpg (US). A little over 140 mi until the counter comes on. I've never run it out of gas ... usually start looking at 100mi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't tested it to any limits, but as long as I'm in a developed area I just ride till the light comes on then hit the next gas station I come across.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I set 'Trip 2' to zero when I fill up and keep an eye on it as I whiz about. On average between bumbling around the city or managing longer rides I get 200km per tank. I have a filling station just up the road from me so the amount of time the light comes on is pretty minimal so I don't really know how far to push it when that happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 Icon, I average just over 220km (approx 140 miles) between filling up without any panic setting in - just start looking for a garage when the light comes on.
With a 44T rear sprocket (higher gearing) I've averaged 63mpg (UK gallon) - 22.5km/litre over the last 3,000km, mainly slower rural back roads.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have always used the reset trip 2 technique when refilling on every bike I have had since bikes have had trip 2s.
We always get 230-250km from the Scrambler before the light comes on. When the light does come on there is still a couple of litres left so unless you are in somewhere remote you should generally be able to get to a gas station.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have always used the reset trip 2 technique when refilling on every bike I have had since bikes have had trip 2s.
We always get 230-250km from the Scrambler before the light comes on. When the light does come on there is still a couple of litres left so unless you are in somewhere remote you should generally be able to get to a gas station.
That's good to know. I always meant to carry some fuel and run it down just to get a read but soon realised I couldn't be arsed!

·
Registered
867 Posts
That's good to know. I always meant to carry some fuel and run it down just to get a read but soon realised I couldn't be arsed!
I have two one litre fuel bottles I was carrying when we went away with the Scrambler and the Tiger on the basis that the Tiger has a much larger tank and I would probably need to top up the Scrambler at some stage but it has never happened. Unless you are riding somewhere remote a couple of hundred kms is at least 2 hours and usually longer riding and most people are happy to stop at that point for a leg stretch and a bit of a walk around anyway.
The interesting thing is that at that distance both bikes consistently require the same amount of fuel to fill up within maybe 100ml. This is the same every time. The Tiger is heavier, more powerful, has an extra cylinder and carries a heavier rider plus all our gear. There is probably 40kg difference in the gross bike/rider/gear weights when we go away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2015 ICON. 50-60mpg (US). A little over 140 mi until the counter comes on. I've never run it out of gas ... usually start looking at 100mi.
Did you swap out sprockets, too? I haven't been getting near 50-60 mpg. I'm typically around 40 and will get to around 110 miles before the fuel light comes on. I might've pushed it another 20 miles after the light comes on, but that was cutting it pretty close. Isn't the reserve (fuel light) a half gallon?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Did you swap out sprockets, too? I haven't been getting near 50-60 mpg. I'm typically around 40 and will get to around 110 miles before the fuel light comes on. I might've pushed it another 20 miles after the light comes on, but that was cutting it pretty close. Isn't the reserve (fuel light) a half gallon?
All stock except for K&N air filter (which makes no difference) and a windshield. The windshield makes some difference; have never tried to figure out how much. 3.4 ga tank: by the time I get to the pump it takes something like 2.6 ... not quite a gallon reserve. So, pretty good mileage. I have a 1.75g carry tank if I think I'm really going to be out there. Now, if I could only get more that 5kmi out of a rear tire.

·
Registered
867 Posts
. 3.4 ga tank: by the time I get to the pump it takes something like 2.6 ... not quite a gallon reserve. So, pretty good mileage. I have a 1.75g carry tank if I think I'm really going to be out there.
Keep in mind that modern bikes cannot use all the fuel in the tank. It is not like the old gravity feed fuel tap days. The fuel pick up is located above the bottom of the tank and the bike will stop running before the tank is empty. Some manufacturers now publish the tank volume and also the usable volume. It is the usable volume that you need to allow for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
All stock 2015 Scrambler (2016 by the VIN but whatever) tracked in Fuelly.

You guys must do a lot of highway miles. In the city/suburban sprawl, the warning light always comes on at 95-110 miles. I've run out of fuel at 117 (just have someone follow you, so you know your limit). My answer is you've got 8-10 miles (in the city) after your fuel gauge lights up. Maybe 15 miles extra on highway.

152 miles is the most I ever got on one tank (no stop lights on the flat road to Death Valley).

I always just refuel at 100. It runs smoother when the tank is full than near empty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Howdy! About to pick up a 2015 UE w/ 5900 miles on it. Very excited! Seems to fairly well maintained. Two questions for the owners out there.
Is it true that there is no true gas gauge on the bike...or rather, by the time the actual gas light comes on, your basically already empty and in trouble (lol)?
AND what’s been your average mpg or mp tank with your UE?
Thanks all! Cheers!
2015 Yellow Icon, original owner. I get 44-48 mpg. Very little of my riding is highway, and I can count on the low fuel light coming on between 115-125 miles. I live in outside a major city so gas is easy find; just ride til the light comes on and then fill up.
A few years back I changed both sprockets to gear it up - added one tooth to the front and subtracted three teeth from the rear. Always felt it was geared a bit too low and I like it better this way. The sprocket change bumped the mileage up by one or two, but I didn't make the change for mileage, I made it for rideability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts