Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put my Scrambler into the shop for 7500 mile service and also to repair a gas leak. I wasn't sure where the leak was coming from but I didn't want to take the tank off and jeopardize having a warranty claim rejected. So the service manager calls me today and asks if I took off the side panels which I did back in the summer to remove anodizing and polish. He said the screw that holds the tank panel on had punctured the tank. This dealer works hard to get Ducati to warranty stuff. It's a weird issue as it's pretty hard to tighten a screw wrong and it's hard to believe that the tolerances are so close that this could happen. I'll see how Ducati handles warranty claim.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Fingers crossed!

Doesn't Ducati encourage us to remove, paint, customize and replace these panels? Should be warranty right. :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
764 Posts
As long as you put the same screws back in I don't see that they can't but they will probably try to attribute it to " User error".

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the dealer called me after thinking about this and did some more detective work and measured the depth of the hole at 19 mm and the screw at 13mm. He also found a pinhole and the bottom of the tread and a pointy indentation. he said it almost looks like they ran a tap in after painting to clean out the threads. He also put one of those little tiny cameras inside the tank and saw the pinhole with a slight bulge. I'm a little amazed at this dealer going to such lengths to advocate for a customer but they've been like this in every dealing I've had with them. At this point is that the service manager thinks that I'll get a new tank, which is great news because I don't even want to guess at how much Ducati gets for one. I should get an answer shortly.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are Razee Mototrcycles in Rhode Island. I 'm about a 1/2 hour away in Massachusetts. They have an outstanding reputation and is generally a way cool old time motorcycle shop. There's even a table in the showroom where a bunch of old guys show up and hang out on Saturdays. Great atmosphere. Everyone loves motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thanks, good to know just in case. Hoping for the best on your warranty claim.

Sarah

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the service manager called today and told me he got Ducati to warranty the tank but not the labor. I am really happy with the dealer but I am not thrilled that Ducati won't pay the labor when it seems obvious that this is a manufacturing defect. In the end the labor is only $73. Knowing that I'm getting a new tank I finally asked what it costs. I guessed around $1000 but it actually is $1800 which is almost a fifth of the price of the bike. DAMN! All in all I'm pleased with the outcome. This service manager is the best.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Meh...thats like 60 dollreedoos...sounds like the dealer earned it. Id probably thow in a bottle of Wild Turkey.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The service manager went the extra mile, or it surely could have been worse. I don't think I'd sweat the $73, either. How long before you have your tank?

Sarah

p.s. Wonder if they'll toss your old tank, and wonder if that pin hole might be mended? Hmm..

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Figures Ducati would want it, oh well. Hope you'll have that new tank right away.

Sarah

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It's not the $73.-, it's the basic principle.

If Ducati admits the tank should be replaced, they would actually pick up the dealer's tab in labour. Doesn't cost the dealer a dime. And if it does, too bad for the dealer.

Warranty = warranty, I would at least give Ducati NA a call if this normal behavior...

This situation is fairly typical for American service (sad), in Europe they wouldn't even mention the labor of replacing it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts