Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this might be a noob question but that's fine. I'm here to learn.

Hopefully I explain what I'm trying to figure out/learn properly.

When I up-shift with my foot, I hear and feel a distinct sound, cluck, clunk, whatever you want to call it but sometimes it's as if my foot pushes the gear shifter through nothing, no sound, no feel of a cluck but the gear shifts as it should.

What causes this difference?

Thanks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Higher RPMs, helps with shifting, as the gears line up easier.
So it's perfectly normal and all it means is that when I hear/feel nothing, it's a perfect shift? Unless ofc I find myself in a false neutral :p, which is why I like the tactile feedback.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least somebody can find sodding neutral. [meh]
If you're referring to finding it once your bike is warm and you've come to a stop...it's a quick pulse of your foot instead of a push as you would when going into gear. It takes a little practice but eventually you figure it out...

Once in a while I have a hard time, especially if coming to an abrupt stop or stopping on a hill but other than that you should be able to find it using the above technique 98% of the time.

I'm assuming you have no issue finding it before the bike fully warms up?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi xPepi and thanks for the nod. Actually I pick up the bike next week but test rode one for about an hour and you are right....no problem cold but problems at lights and roundabouts when hot both second to neutral and first to neutral. I was always taught to stop in neutral in case you get shunted and as the bike got hotter it became very hard to select neutral. I commented on this when I brought the bike back and the dealer said it was one of the things you had to put up with but it must be down to oil and plate separation. I have ridden lots of bike and not had this problem since a a very battered honda 175 45 years ago! I had thought things had moved on....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tr
Hi xPepi and thanks for the nod. Actually I pick up the bike next week but test rode one for about an hour and you are right....no problem cold but problems at lights and roundabouts when hot both second to neutral and first to neutral. I was always taught to stop in neutral in case you get shunted and as the bike got hotter it became very hard to select neutral. I commented on this when I brought the bike back and the dealer said it was one of the things you had to put up with but it must be down to oil and plate separation. I have ridden lots of bike and not had this problem since a a very battered honda 175 45 years ago! I had thought things had moved on....
Trust me, it won't be an issue and forget about the "put it into neutral while rolling to a stop"...it's not necessary...you'll figure it out...it's a pulse, half kick up...imagine you are planning to shift and you decide mid kick to back off...but you do it fast and your foot moves only an inch or so upwards...

Once the bike warms up so does do the metal plates and they expand...also very important to have proper free play in clutch lever.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As mentioned above, clutch free play is critical!!! Once I got this set up correctly I have had zero shifting or finding neutral issues. Just don't forget to monitor the clutch free play, you can't just set it and forget it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As mentioned above, clutch free play is critical!!! Once I got this set up correctly I have had zero shifting or finding neutral issues. Just don't forget to monitor the clutch free play, you can't just set it and forget it.
Going to add to this that it is also critical that you keep the ends of the cables greased, both the clutch and throttle cable. Last thing you want is for one of these to snap during a ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts