Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Get Ready for the onslaught of Scrambler clones...

12K views 50 replies 30 participants last post by  silverluxe 
#1 ·
See less See more
Reactions: Sam1100
#3 ·
Too tall. Water-cooled? No thanks...

You can;t just slap some "retro-styled" plastics and a round headlight on an existing model and call is a "Scrambler".

If you're gonna do this, then do it like Ducati did, make it a whole new bike.

#6 ·
You know...

I probably would have jumped all over this had the real Scrambler not been so beautiful. It's a Yamaha - so it's going to be more reliable than the Duc.

But... Even though they got the weight right, it's down 10 ponies to the Italian - and a radiator? Umm.. No!

What Yamaha needed to do was come out with a REAL modern version of the classic XS. I would have bought that.

#7 ·
Looks like this to me: It's a little heavier than the Scrambler, down on power, taller in the seat. Parallel twins lack the character and music of V-twins, and it's got an ugly radiator. On the other hand, there's this cool accessory side bag, looks like brown canvas and leather, that locks onto its bracket, Ducati take a look please.

#9 ·
Parallel twins lack the character and music of V-twins
Not those that have a 270 degree firing order. You would have a very hard time telling a 270 degree parallel twin from a V.

#11 ·
I'm kinda into it. I love my bike, but at certain angles the Duc does sort of look like a cartoon motorcycle. I like the raised tank on the Yamaha, makes it a bit meaner. Been wondering if anyone was gonna try that on the Scrambler, could look cool to raise and angle the tank to pick up the line of the swingarm.

#15 ·
That is the ugliest looking bike I have seen in a long time and just goes to show that Japan still cannot get copies right. They do their own stuff better like big UJM naked fours and utility bikes for the masses.
That said, when Nissan started the crossover craze here in the UK & the manufacturers saw the sales figures they all had to build one.
I love my Scrambler, the looks are what I hoped they would be ( like a modern 60s/70's style IMHO), ok it ain't no super tourer or a rocketship but its light and exciting to ride for me and thats what I wanted out of it.

#16 ·
I'll reserve judgement until I see it in person, but I kind of like it, especially in green. BTW, it wouldn't take much to exceed the performance of the XS650, a friend of mine had one back in the day. Great looking bike, but it shook like a paint mixer, the brakes were wooden, it was slow and the handling was vague (and I'm being generous).
The Yamaha will be less expensive to buy, cheaper to maintain and will have better dealer support. I don't think it will have the character of the Scrambler, but it will have some advantages and if it had been available when I was looking at the Scrambler I would have definitely given it a shot...

#19 ·
I have two Yamaha SR500's. They're awesome little bikes.

This "X-SR700" makes no sense to me. I'd have loved to see a modern SR500 just like Ducati did. Visually it looks like one of those shanty towns where people collect scrap metal to build their walls and roofs. By the time my eyes reached the tank I was wondering what else they could have slapped on top or sides.

Yamaha has a nice looking scrambler/cafe style bike in the XJR1300. The engine looks like an engine. It's just too hefty and not sold in the US. If they built a customizable 800cc parallel twin around this concept I think Ducati would have a lot more to be worried about.

XJR1300 Racer 2015 - Motorcycles - Yamaha Motor Scandinavia

Still happy waiting for the Scrambler. One competitor down. More interested in what Triumph / Moto Guzzi answer back with.

#21 ·
I have two Yamaha SR500's. They're awesome little bikes.

This "X-SR700" makes no sense to me. I'd have loved to see a modern SR500 just like Ducati did. Visually it looks like one of those shanty towns where people collect scrap metal to build their walls and roofs. By the time my eyes reached the tank I was wondering what else they could have slapped on top or sides.

Yamaha has a nice looking scrambler/cafe style bike in the XJR1300. The engine looks like an engine. It's just too hefty and not sold in the US. If they built a customizable 800cc parallel twin around this concept I think Ducati would have a lot more to be worried about.

XJR1300 Racer 2015 - Motorcycles - Yamaha Motor Scandinavia

Still happy waiting for the Scrambler. One competitor down. More interested in what Triumph / Moto Guzzi answer back with.
There's always the scrambler kit with the Moto Guzzi v7.

Attachments

#20 ·
I don't like to talk down upon things that are generally related to personal opinion but man, that's quite the ugly duckling. It's like it takes up too much space from bottom to top. It looks like a real porker and none of the layout looks thought out. Looks like someone took a full fairing bike and ripped the fairings off but didn't bother to clean up under them to make it presentable.

That radiator is atrocious from a front 3/4 view, too.

No thanks.

#28 ·
This has always been my gripe with the big 4 manufactures. It is a delicate blend of new and old school and though they may have good intentions it seems to always fall short. The big 4 may have better reliability but I think that thing is hideous compared to the Duc.

#33 ·
I'm still surprised that the Ducati Scramblers are listed as weighing only 410lbs (186kg). Every time i look at my Icon it looks bigger (and heavier) until i park it side by side with a larger bike. Must be partly because the Pirelli's are beefy looking shizzles.

I do like the Yamahas round electronic console slightly better than the my Duc. While I am not hating my Icon's handlebar controls and ergonomics, i do believe the Japanese do it better too.

If the Yamaha was available at the time of my Scrambler purchase, i feel i still would enx up with my Duc :)

#34 ·
For me Yamaha's recently announced XSR700 only proves how great Ducati Scrambler really is. It clearly shows that one is thorougly designed new bike, while the other is quick makeover of an existing bike. Plus I don't like Yamaha's details: front headlight seems too long (or at least length disproportionate to diameter), radiator too visible (why not black?), tail has way too many details one over another, seat looking strange etc. In sum: not neat at all. But then again such tail/seat combo must be Yamaha's preferred style these days, as they brought also similarly pimped up XJR1300 to market earlier (based largely on "Monkeefist" by Wrenchmonkeys while I would have much preferred - and probably bought - one based on Deus' "Project X"; Deus still sells a kit though, so maybe they didn't allow using it?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.