Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been threads about this but can't find what I'm looking for - some of you have fitted this, I think they updated the unit as the original one didn't work.

Who has this fitted and was it easy - just plug in as they say?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've just found some more info on it from the other forum - I get totally confused with what I've read and where (not difficult to do) :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't think it was "plug and play" as they say. I'm sure wires needed stripped back etc etc.
Actually, it is literally plug n play. Plugs into the diagnostics port under your seat and reads directly from the ECU. There is a slight delay between shifting and the reaction of the display but it works quite well and should set you back around $150.

Here's what it looks like in action (red display on the right side of dash):

·
Registered
126 Posts
The delay is very slight as you say. Definitely not an issue though.

If it's that easy to install then I can foresee it being popular then.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, it is literally plug n play. Plugs into the diagnostics port under your seat and reads directly from the ECU. There is a slight delay between shifting and the reaction of the display but it works quite well and should set you back around $150.

Here's what it looks like in action (red display on the right side of dash):

Is it plug and play in the Scrambler then?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes its not bad to install. You must get version C09 which works. Earlier versions had to be returned since they did not work. There are two leads. One plugs into the diagnostic port and the other is a power wire which is connected to the positive headlight wire under the tank using a clip (no stripping required). It does require that you undo the fuel tank for easier access to the headlight wire under the right side of the tank. The tank only needs to be lifted a couple of inches. Lifting the tank also makes it easier to run the second (diagnostic port wire) to the port which is under the seat.

My only issue was the size of the connecting plug (diagnostic). It made sneaking the wire from the handlebar to the rear of the bike a little difficult since the gaps were small. Had to push and pull the existing wires a bit to get it back there in a neat way.

Bottom line is that I'm very happy with it. I have a very worn clutch (to be repaired) so its useful to keep track of my gear since gear selection is not always properly completed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where is the diagnostics port on the Scrambler?
I believe this has been discussed in other threads that show pictures. Its under the seat but can be tucked down and hard to see/find. Mine was shown to me during the dealer intro when I picked the bike up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So it's NOT plug and play, can't possibly be if you need to cut into a cable, clip or no clip that power wire has been damaged and you can bet your last pound Ducati will use that as an excuse if there are any electrical issues

·
Registered
60 Posts
So it's NOT plug and play, can't possibly be if you need to cut into a cable, clip or no clip that power wire has been damaged and you can bet your last pound Ducati will use that as an excuse if there are any electrical issues
That's inaccurate. IF you did happen to have an electrical problem, you could disconnect the cables in 1 minute flat and Ducati would never know it was ever on the bike. Don't let the power lead "clip" dissuade you if you're interested in the GI pro.

Also, my history with Ducati relating to warranty issues has been very positive and it would be a very extreme measure for them to deny warranty based on a gear indicator (unless you butchered something in the install). Again, this is very much dependent on the dealer you have as your conduit to Ducati.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts