Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really like the looks of the 1100 so visited a dealer sat on one and liked it even more.
If anyone has taken the plunge please give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Really like the looks of the 1100 so visited a dealer sat on one and liked it even more.
If anyone has taken the plunge please give me your thoughts.
I’ve had several of the air cooled DS motors, always loved them. Test rode the Scrambler 1100 this past weekend while my wife tried the 62 and an Icon. She brought home a red Icon, and I swapped my Monster 1200 for an 1100 Sport. It felt like my old 09 Monster all over again, instantly easy to ride, and super comfy. It was a no brainer decision for me !

Current:‘16 Scrambler Icon, ‘18 1100 Sport
Sold: ‘15 Monster 1200, ‘14 Diavel Strada, ‘12 Monster 1100evo, ‘09 Monster 1100, ‘08 NM Hypermotard #7

·
Registered
235 Posts
I also have the Sport 1100. Its my first Ducati, so I dont have much experience with the brand, although most of my riding buddies own Ducatis. I have about 1,000 miles on it so far and really like it. It's got great usable power, not too intimidating and as said already, easy to ride. I didnt care for the stock handlebars so I swapped them for Monster 1200 S bars and I added bar end mirrors to get rid of the lollipop stalk mirrors. Next up, exhaust, rearsets, tail tidy.

To be honest, I wasn't looking for a Scrambler or something I could take offroad. I was most interested in the Scrambler 1100 because I wanted a large displacement air cooled Ducati, and my plan is to tastefully mod it into a 'modern' reincarnation of the Monster 1100 EVO.

Pros: Killer looks, impressive/usable power, feels light and well balanced in the curves and the Ohlins suspension and brakes are fantastic. You say you have a Ducati and men want to be you and women want to go home with you. :icon_biggrin:

Cons: Bike really does not like to start (usually takes multiple tries before it will turn over and run), the dual purpose tires are great for mixed riding, but not so much for spirited street riding, gauge cluster takes some getting used to, and lord, this thing puts out some heat!

My previous bike was a Triumph Thruxton 900, which was significantly heavier, much slower and far less agile. But, it did start effortlessly and never cooked my crotch. LOL. Zero regrets though. :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cons: Bike really does not like to start (usually takes multiple tries before it will turn over and run), the dual purpose tires are great for mixed riding, but not so much for spirited street riding, gauge cluster takes some getting used to, and lord, this thing puts out some heat!
Yeah, I remember some of my other air cooled Duc twins acted the same way when cold, like the Scrambler 1100 does, so that didn’t surprise me.... I found it takes anywhere from 15-20 sec of turnover before the spark really fires. I will be interested to see if that changes over time with break-in, or if Ducati might need to release a ECU flash to modify spark/fuel etc during startup...

Regarding the heat... yeah, its not the hottest on my legs compared to some others, but you definitely wont get cold. I also noticed that the exhaust under the seat will make the seat get warm too, but this changed on my 09 Monster when I removed the stock cans for Arrows (no cat). I suspect its the Cats that are making the seat get warm...

Current:‘16 Scrambler Icon, ‘18 1100 Sport
Sold: ‘15 Monster 1200, ‘14 Diavel Strada, ‘12 Monster 1100evo, ‘09 Monster 1100, ‘08 NM Hypermotard #7

·
Registered
733 Posts
Mine is garaged - so never gets cold cold - but starts instantly...

You can probably buy some Exact Starter leads - if it is turning over slowly on the starter.. but if that is OK then I am not sure why it needs to be cranked so long.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks guys - mine is garaged too, and it hasn't been cold yet. It will turn over, start briefly and cut off, and it does that sometimes 2-3 times before she'll stay finally running. Once she's running, its fine and when its been ridden, fires up immediately with no hestitation. Doesn't appear to be a charging/battery thing, although I did read about some guys swapping out their battery and starter cables for HICAP wires. But perhaps its like you say and an ECU reflash will remedy it, and maybe I can delete my O2 sensors and add a drop in filter at the same time to get it breathing a little better.

Appreciate the lead on the cats. I do plan to eventually add an exhaust so hopefully that will remedy the situation. I guess one perk is this Fall and Winter, I can extend my riding into the 30 and 40 degree days. LOL.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have yet to pick mine up but have driven it for 140km already on the test drive and it rocks!
I own the 800 model for 2 years now and realy love that bike. I've done long trips(2000km) threw Germany and France with it and used it for fun tours and weekend blasts. As I'm quite a big guy(184cm,120kg/6.04feet,265lbs) the Scrambler was always a little cramped. The 1100 just fits like a glove and the seat is way more comfy and roomy.
The stock suspension(1100 Icon)is also much better and is also adjustable front and rear(the 800 only had rear preload).
Some tests complain about the suspension being harsh but as I'm quite heavy this works out pretty well and find it just right. I feel it 's much more comfortable then my current 800 wich had an upgraded Hyperpro rear shock with remote reservoir and high and low speed adjustability.
The stock mirrors are kinda crap and don't look very nice on the 1100(also used on many other models and they just don't work very well) but I had the oem billet round cnc mirrors on my 800 wich look much nicer and work very well so they will be swapped over.
The engine and throttle response on the 1100 is very smooth and the character of the engine suits me very well. I've had a couple of modern BMW air cooled boxers but prefer the Ducati engines. It also sounds great btw with the stock exhausts(although I do wonder how great it wil sound with an Arrow cat delete pipe or an other complete system ;-) )
The dashboard on the 1100 also had everything the 800 lacked like a fuell and gear indicator. The design is a bit quircky but I like it.
First hings I'll fit are the mounts for the SW Motech Legend series bags as I already own and use these with great pleasure on the 800 and as soon as Evotech have an oil cooler guard and tailtidy they will be up next.
Other things that will be swapped from my 800 is the oem billet cnc black headlight ring and the cnc billet speedo housing wich I hope will look nice on the 1100 as well.
Finally some pics of my current 800 and my new 1100: View attachment 36151
20170728_180353.jpg
20180831_140929.jpg

·
Registered
235 Posts
Beautiful bikes!

I added the Evotech Crash Bobbins to my 1100, and like yourself, I want to add the oil cooler guard and tail tidy. I emailed Evotech back in June and they indicated those items would be available in 4-5 weeks. Noticing the website still did not have them on there at the end of August, I emailed them again. The guy told me they did not have an 1100 to finish up the designing phase, so it may be several months before they hit the market. Good quality stuff though and worth waiting for - although the stock Ducati plate holder is not flattering!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Beautiful bikes!

...Noticing the website still did not have them on there at the end of August, I emailed them again. The guy told me they did not have an 1100 to finish up the designing phase, so it may be several months before they hit the market. Good quality stuff though and worth waiting for - although the stock Ducati plate holder is not flattering!
Thanks!
I contacted Evotech last week and they told me they now have a bike(actualy said they bought one)so I hope parts will be available soon. I also suggested they should do a chain guard but don't know if they plan on doing so.
Yeah the Evotech stuff is nice and good price quality.
R&G already have a oil cooler guard and tail tidy but I'm hoping the Evotech guard will be nicer. The R&G tail tidy looks good though.

Are there any pictures up of your bike? I'm realy interested in how it looks.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The R&G Radiator guard is wrong colour silver and looks poor quality finish... I am sure Evotech will be better when they finally finish them..

·
Registered
846 Posts
I totally agree. There is black option though but I don't like the mesh in the guard. I hope Evotech is doing one that has the honey comb cut out made of aluminium like the one on they do for the 800.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks!
I contacted Evotech last week and they told me they now have a bike(actualy said they bought one)so I hope parts will be available soon. I also suggested they should do a chain guard but don't know if they plan on doing so.
Yeah the Evotech stuff is nice and good price quality.
R&G already have a oil cooler guard and tail tidy but I'm hoping the Evotech guard will be nicer. The R&G tail tidy looks good though.

Are there any pictures up of your bike? I'm realy interested in how it looks.
Hoping the R&G Tail Tidy is decent - I ordered one a week ago. I like the Evotech one, but once I saw it was going to be awhile, I decide to go ahead and get the R&G. Simple design. Definitely will wait for the Evotech oil cooler guard though.

I need to take some more recent pics! I also ordered the Arrow Mid pipe cat delete today, so once I get that installed (and 02 sensors deleted) I will post a few detailed shots.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do the 800 guards not fit to the 1100? It would be good if you could remove parts from the 800 and refit them to the new bike.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The Evotech Axle crash bungs are the same as best I can tell - the central crash bung I think is different (centre rod)...

Footpegs are same, gear lever works (different but interchangeable)

Mirrors same

Brakes are same so brake accessories too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts