Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming most of you clean/replace the air filter once a year or at the very least do so as the manual suggests?

I bought my Italia Scrambler back in April and this June marks her 2nd birthday so I thought, why not open up the air filter box, see what I'm dealing with, contemplate about putting in a K&N, OEM or dusting it off and keeping the original.

I open up the air box and what do I see? About a handful of greasy, fried tortilla chips and...wait for it...a crap ton of mouse...crap...

All nicely collected inside the filter at the bottom..

I know the previous owner kept her in a garage and didn't keep her clean but I never expected to find something like this...

The mouse crap I guess I can understand since mice can squeeze into openings about the size of a nickel but the tortilla chips??? Where is the air intake on this bike?

Anyway, go inspect your air filter.

Now I must decide if to get a K&N or OEM...

Before you ask why K&N and not another aftermarket filter. Simply because K&N is readily available in Canada, while the others that forums suggest are not.

I'll get an OEM if the price is reasonable, otherwise K&N it is.

·
Registered
734 Posts
-is recommended to remap ecu if you install an aftermarket air filter(K&N, MWR..), why?, your bike will run leaner and in long term engine will be damage. Stick with OEM air filter if no plans in ecu remapping.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression that fuel injected engines will adapt/make corrections to the new air filter after some riding? So no ECU remap required?

I definitely don't want to damage the engine but OEM are $40 each and the K&N is $75 and it's for life.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I definitely don't want to damage the engine but OEM are $40 each and the K&N is $75 and it's for life.
Sure. Plus the cost of the oil to maintain the K&N and the continuing poor filtration that K&N filters are renowned for. I would rather spend the money on a filter that actually filters. $40 a year is insignificant in the overall cost of motorcycle ownership.

Going back to the original post checking the air filter should be the first thing any new owner of a second hand motorcycle should do. Air filter maintenance is a pain on most modern bikes and is the thing most often overlooked by home mechanics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought that with fuel injection the O2/Lambda sensors together with ECU will adjust accordingly. ??

My Ducati dealer told me the same thing.

“Hi Ben, is OK to keep the K&N. The air intake is control by the ECU. Regards, Andy”

Any thoughts.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I have never checked mine (had from new) and assumed it would be done at scheduled services. Going in for its second annual on Monday. Will see what they find. Bike done about 11.5k miles.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think the question on everyone's mind is
Did you eat the tortilla chips

·
Registered
894 Posts
I was under the impression that fuel injected engines will adapt/make corrections to the new air filter after some riding? So no ECU remap required?
Correct.
All modern motorcycles have learning ECUs.
The procedure is this.
Wait for the bike to be properly cold. Make the changes (in this case the air filter but the same applies to exhausts). Start the bike and DO NOT REV it. Let it run at idle for 10 minutes until it is properly up to temp. Once again DO NOT REV the bike. Stop the bike. Let it cool down back to cold and then take it for a ride for at least ten minutes.
The ECU will have remapped itself at the end of the ride.
I’m another anti K&N voice for purposes of disclosure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been attempting to locate online a stock air filter for my 2019 Ducati Desert Sled.
I'm not having any luck.
What is the part number and where can I purchase online?
Thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts