Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it might be cool to get a camera to record some of my rides but am not familiar with it at all. What camera options are good and what's the best way to mount them?

I wouldn't mind a lower cost option to start to see if it's something I enjoy doing. I am particularly interested in a view of my bike and the bikes around me - so maybe that means someone else gets a camera too.

Would love to hear about what people have had success using, thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
akaso.jpg
Just bought an akaso brave 4k from Amazon for £89.99 to replace my old gopro, the brave has great reviews and Defo looks worth the money but not used it yet as waiting for my 64gb card to turn up.

·
Registered
734 Posts
WoW!, the Akaso Action Camera EK7000is a good choice and less expensive when compared with GoPro

·
Registered
239 Posts
You would want one with remote control. I have a Polaroid Cube + and it's nice but not worth it because it doesn't come with a remote like GoPro. I have to use an app on iPhone to link up via wifi which is a bit cumbersome.

Looks like Akaso is a good buy, I hope video quality is as good as GoPro plus has anti-shaking features.

Reactions: Vix

·
Registered
892 Posts
Isn't there something similar to a GoPro made my Garmin also?
Garmin Virb series.

There are two important things to consider when buying an action cam (leaving aside image quality that is).
1. The form factor. Frankly GoPro and GoPro knock offs have a horrible form factor to use on a motorcycle. The wide flat side is facing into the wind and if you go helmet mount you have a sail either on one side or the top of your helmet for most mounting options. Cameras like the Sena Prism or Sony FDRX300 or Drift products IMO are much better form factor and are easier to mount in places that give interesting viewpoints.
2. Post production. If anybody thinks that all they have to do is record an hours worth of video and whack it up onto YouTube and they will become an overnight sensation think again. It takes hours and hours and hours to properly edit a video to make it even half watchable. "This is my unedited ride from my helmet view" is unwatchable and even the person who took the video will not watch it. There is an art to editing video to make it enjoyable and intersting and if camera owners are not prepared to spend the time learning how to properly construct a video they are completely wasting their time taking one in the first place.
The world is full of action cameras that have been used only a couple of times and then the owners have worked out what they have bitten off. Think carefully if you have the time and inclination to edit videos to make them watchable in future before you invest in even a cheap action camera.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Very informative Post.

I like the Sony FDRX300, though I am shocked it doesn't come in black?

I'm ideally looking for a good choice for a handlebar mount? Can't imagine doing the helmet mount with me constantly looking around etc. Are the Drift, Sena Prism, Sony FDRX300 the better choice for a handlebar mount?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Very informative Post.

I like the Sony FDRX300, though I am shocked it doesn't come in black?

I'm ideally looking for a good choice for a handlebar mount? Can't imagine doing the helmet mount with me constantly looking around etc. Are the Drift, Sena Prism, Sony FDRX300 the better choice for a handlebar mount?
This is my Prism mounted on the front guard of my old Tiger. I don't use that mount any longer I just use RAM ball and socket mounts into the tripod thread on the Prism but I find it much easier to locate where I want to on the bike then when i used a GoPro.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 32081 Just bought an akaso brave 4k from Amazon for £89.99 to replace my old gopro, the brave has great reviews and Defo looks worth the money but not used it yet as waiting for my 64gb card to turn up.
Do you have any feedback on this? I’m looking at it and am curious about two things 1) is how best to mount to bike or rider/helmet, and 2) how easy is video editing? Looks like an inexpensive option worth a try!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Since I posted the information above I have come across a camera that has intrigued me so much that I have ordered on. The Insta 360 One camera ( link here) really looks like it could be a game changer as far as motorcycle video cameras are concerned. Of course over the years I have to admit to coming across a few photography game changers most of which are now sitting in the "it was a good idea at the time" box of photography gear.
Have a look at this YourTube clip and see what you think and maybe in a couple of weeks I will post some Scrambler vision using the camera.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Do you have any feedback on this? I’m looking at it and am curious about two things 1) is how best to mount to bike or rider/helmet, and 2) how easy is video editing? Looks like an inexpensive option worth a try!
So far so good, been really busy work wise so not done much but taken it out on the triumph I had a couple of weeks ago and the picture quality @ 1080p was brillant on my 4k tv. Photos @ 20mp are also fantastic quality, ive not edited any footage but connected it up to watch on the telly and it was easy to ff or rewind. It's easier to use than my old gopro. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
2018_0512_134112_008.JPG
2018_0512_134638_063.JPG
2018_0512_134628_055.JPG
2018_0512_135112_001.JPG

A few pics from todays ride with the brave 4, awesome camera for the money, the pics are taken whilst the camera is recording video via the remote control. The 20mp pics I took are too big to upload on this site as is the 4k video which is mega quality when played on my 4k tv. The camera is a cinch to use and the remote works a treat love it!

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few pics from todays ride with the brave 4, awesome camera for the money, the pics are taken whilst the camera is recording video via the remote control. The 20mp pics I took are too big to upload on this site as is the 4k video which is mega quality when played on my 4k tv. The camera is a cinch to use and the remote works a treat love it!
This is what I got, I did the unboxing last night and am going to try it tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
This is what I got, I did the unboxing last night and am going to try it tomorrow!
You'll love it, I also bought an accessory pack off Amazon for £19.99 which is mega. I bought the camera mainly for going to the assen motogp at the end of june but looking at the quality I'm going to use on most rides and try it as a dash cam.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Crap video I made today during my first Scrambler ride. Just trying out the possibilities of a 360degree camera.
I now have to sit down and get the stitch lines aligned and work out how the editing program works (properly). I may even open the user manual.

BTW. I know there is a spelling mistake in the title but this video will only be on line for a short period.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Crap video I made today during my first Scrambler ride. Just trying out the possibilities of a 360degree camera.
I now have to sit down and get the stitch lines aligned and work out how the editing program works (properly). I may even open the user manual.

BTW. I know there is a spelling mistake in the title but this video will only be on line for a short period.

Those are some nice roads! Any chance you could share a dropbox link with the full size, quality of the video?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Those are some nice roads! Any chance you could share a dropbox link with the full size, quality of the video?
The roads are around where I live. Unfortunately in Autumn its Tourist Central in the weekends with everybody wanting to see the colours on the deciduous trees. The video was saved as HD only. We only have a ADSL Internet connection so upload speeds are abissmal. The original files are deleted. If you wait till next weekend I'll take a short vid and send you a link to the unedited version. The camera will do 4k.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts