Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Pretty bummed as I'm writing this, I had my brand new 2018 Icon for less than 24hrs before it had to go back to the shop.

I had a 12 mile commute from the dealer to my house, and halfway through I was unable to shift out of first gear. The gear shifter was completely stuck.

The bike is now back at the dealer and I'm playing the waiting game. Their first thought was to re-soak the clutch plates in oil, and after they tried that the issue persisted. So now they are replacing the clutch pack, and they'll try again.

It's now a week after I wrote the check, and I'm not feeling great about it. Did I just get that unlucky to get the bike that didn't get quality controlled? Not to mention they charge a lot for freight/setup, where I would hope they would catch something like this. It's making me think I might have gotten a lemon, and who knows what else didn't get checked?

This is my first bike, was hoping to run it by you more experienced folks and ask-- what would you do? Or is it just a "suck it up and deal with it, this stuff happens" kind of situation?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I know it is no consolation to you but these things happen from time to time. It sounds like the dealer is trying to resolve the issue so that is good and I would stay close to the dealer to make sure they are in touch with Ducati to get things sorted asap. You do not say where you are but the use of the word check indicates USA so if that is the case you might want to also check your state lemon laws if they have them to see where you stand and what options are open.
This is an opportunity for both the dealer and Ducati to step up and impress you with their responses and actions and I hope that they tackle that opportunity and impress you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is an opportunity for both the dealer and Ducati to step up and impress you with their responses and actions and I hope that they tackle that opportunity and impress you.
Well put. I sincerely hope so as well. I'm in Texas, USA. Good call on the lemon law, though it seems I would need to give "dealer or manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defect or condition." We're only on the first round for now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow yeah that does seem like nearly the exact issue. Right down to that it shifts fine when cold, and 20+ mins into the ride I get stuck in 1st. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Good call on the lemon law, though it seems I would need to give "dealer or manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defect or condition." We're only on the first round for now.
In that case you need to make sure you start the paper trail. Stay polite but make sure your communications with the dealership are in writing (email) and make notes of any telephone conversations including the date and time and who you spoke with. If possible follow up phone calls with an email saying "Thanks for the call Joe. I understand from our conversation that......... ". Hopefully it will be a waste of effort and the issue will be easily resolved but you need the evidence just in case the worst happens and you can't recreate it if you don't do it at the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yup I'm the guy in the other thread with this exact problem.
My dealer just called minutes ago to tell me they replaced the clutch and lifters. A Ducati Rep apparently certified it as ready to go. But when I asked if they test rode it for more than 20 minutes he was vague and assured me it's running super.

I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll definitely update you after my ride home (by bike or taxi?).

My advice, and what I did, is to call Ducati Support and write your problem on their online form in detail. At the very least Ducati should be made aware of batch or Assembly problems.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Best of luck, and I'll do the same. I'm looking at 2-3 days from now for the clutch replacement.

I'll absolutely contact Ducati support this evening. I assume this is the online form?
Yup that's it. I used it 4 times and got an auto responder email each time promising 'contact you shortly ' but that never happened so I kept calling them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I picked mine up today. New clutch installed.

Purrs like a kitten. Rode it for 4 hours , roads, highway, all gears used but kept revs below 6k (break in period).
No problem at all. Yes, even neutral!

Very happy. I hope you get the same results dude. I waited 2.5 weeks for mine and it was torture.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked mine up today. New clutch installed.

Purrs like a kitten. Rode it for 4 hours , roads, highway, all gears used but kept revs below 6k (break in period).
No problem at all. Yes, even neutral!
Glad to hear it, and very happy for ya! Hoping for a similar outcome. Was the 2.5 week wait time in part because they had to order parts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad to hear it, and very happy for ya! Hoping for a similar outcome. Was the 2.5 week wait time in part because they had to order parts?
No, it was because they needed Ducati approval for each step of the diagnosis. So basically, they do what Ducati approved, put bike back together, ride it for 30 mins (as problem only surfaced when hot).

When that didn't work, they needed next Ducati approval step... etc...etc...

Until finally...ok change the damn clutch already!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ι had my first 20 kms and I had great problem shifting up. When I reiceived the DS it had 8kms on the clock. Now 28. When I return from holidays I will take some big rides (at least 20 minutes long) to see if I have a similar issue. I had to drop the revs and downshift and then shift up again. anyway let's wait and see. Glad you posted any development regarding your situation. it will be useful and helpful for others.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad you posted any development regarding your situation. it will be useful and helpful for others.
Yes for sure, I don't wish any mechanical issues on anyone but it was comforting in a weird way knowing it's an issue multiple people experienced as opposed to my bike being a lemon

Also I'll give a shoutout to Ducati of Austin for being very cool and lending me a demo Scrambler Icon while they order a part for mine. At least I can ride over the next week!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick update in case clutch issues bite anyone else buying a new 2018 Icon. Got my bike back and it appears the problem has been resolved with a clutch kit replacement and a new part. I didn't get a ton of detail but it would appear the newer part they had to order is visibly smaller, meaning the issue might have been triggered with heat expanding the old part.

I drove around for 30 minutes on a hot day (100+℉) and the bike worked beautifully. Fingers crossed I can enjoy her with no issues for a while :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a quick update in case clutch issues bite anyone else buying a new 2018 Icon. Got my bike back and it appears the problem has been resolved with a clutch kit replacement and a new part. I didn't get a ton of detail but it would appear the newer part they had to order is visibly smaller, meaning the issue might have been triggered with heat expanding the old part.

I drove around for 30 minutes on a hot day (100+℉) and the bike worked beautifully. Fingers crossed I can enjoy her with no issues for a while :)

That's awesome dude. (Jeez, I'm sounding like the douches in the Scrambler ad campaign!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yup I'm the guy in the other thread with this exact problem.
My dealer just called minutes ago to tell me they replaced the clutch and lifters. A Ducati Rep apparently certified it as ready to go. But when I asked if they test rode it for more than 20 minutes he was vague and assured me it's running super.

I'm picking it up tomorrow so I'll definitely update you after my ride home (by bike or taxi?).

My advice, and what I did, is to call Ducati Support and write your problem on their online form in detail. At the very least Ducati should be made aware of batch or Assembly problems.

Wish me luck!
Phast1,
I'm having the same problem with my 2018 Mach 2.0. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the clutch pack (just the plates). After 25 miles, it heated up and shifting became impossible again. Can you explain more or provide more information about the 'lifters' that were replaced on yours?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts