Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I am likely going to be picking up a second scrambler to replace my UE that was stolen from my home in December. The original plan was to turn the UE into a legit light to medium off-roader, but now with the Sled coming, it is an easier project to start with the Sled first.

Having said that, I am looking for ideas for legit handguards in case (and when) the bike gets dropped. I prefer full length levers, so larger hand guards are ideal. I saw that evotech is making something that 'might' fit but not sure how rugged those are, plus they appear too pricey. Any thoughts?

So far the build is:
Ducati heated grips
Ducati engine guards
head protection
termi performance pipe
modified skid plate (as the OEM won't fit)
rectifier guard
oil cooler guard
bendable shift lever
low seat (I am short)
rear bobbins
front brake reservoir cover
small handlebar bag

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
You're going to have a problem finding an aftermarket exhaust for the Desert Sled, except for those routed up maybe (like this one) . Warm right leg on this one....

96480691A.png

The exhaust mounts differently to the bike (mounting point is more forward than on the other Scrambler models), and the Termi Desert Sled still uses the existing twin stinger exhaust...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly the pipe I will be fitting on it. I had the same setup on my UE but believe it or not, that pipe runs far far far cooler than the OEM one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Serious? I would never have thought that.
Me neither, but that is the truth. When I bought the UE last year, I rode home from Texas to Philly on the regular pipe, and it was burning. First thing I did when I got home is put the overhead pipe on, and was shocked at the coolness; at over 90 degrees outside, I could put my hand on the pipe and it felt cool. Highly recommend that pipe and why I am putting it on the next build. Plus, with the mapping, that bike ran almost as well as if it were a 2 stroke. Amazing response.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I saw that exhaust mounted on my dealer's wall. How much is it? I wonder if it (with remap) will void my warranty and extended warranty? I am used to the high rise Arrow exhaust on my Triumph and not concerned. Don't run luggage either to worry about that. I already scratched the stock silencer when I layed it down on dirt.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Warranty should be fine it is a Termi After all as for handguards I have the Bark busters on mine .Bit of fiddling to fit but not to big but still have Ali backbone.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think i met you on the Tail of the Dragon this past weekend. Is this Dimitri? I was on the UE riding with Honda Groms and a DRZ.
Yep, it was me. I was on that huge KTM. Amazing! I would say it is a small world, but we already knew that.

If you look in my past posts, you can see the build I started with the UE that was stolen. Hopefully this Sled will not be...and is in fact being modified now with the pipe. Pics to follow once he comes home.

I saw that exhaust mounted on my dealer's wall. How much is it? I wonder if it (with remap) will void my warranty and extended warranty? I am used to the high rise Arrow exhaust on my Triumph and not concerned. Don't run luggage either to worry about that. I already scratched the stock silencer when I layed it down on dirt.
The 'dealer' price is about 1390 without a map and 1904 USD with a map. I snagged it from ebay with a map for 1500 from a dealer in California. Trust me when I say that it is actually worth the money and makes the bike run much better.

Warranty should be fine it is a Termi After all as for handguards I have the Bark busters on mine .Bit of fiddling to fit but not to big but still have Ali backbone.
What he said. Termi, if installed by dealer, does not void the warranty as it is a authorized aftermarket part, especially since fully half of the models now come with termis as standard equipment.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FYI.

Got a call from dealer regarding the pipe. No remapping needed...so if you want the same pipe, you can save a few bucks and buy it without the map. Second, because this pipe is designed for a regular scrambler, it touches the body panel, which means that they are lightly shaving it a bit so that the panel won't melt once the bike is turned on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hit it with hairdryer to bend it first then use some stick heat tape .That should work .Interesting about the remap . My Q.D.snake has a little jigger for emissions built in tp pipe .Termi same ?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly I do not know. But I think the pipe is still okay for my local emissions (I could be wrong).

Hit it with hairdryer to bend it first then use some stick heat tape .That should work .Interesting about the remap . My Q.D.snake has a little jigger for emissions built in tp pipe .Termi same ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts