Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made these bars after going back and forth on whether to buy or DIY. While there are some good options out there for the Desert Sled, none of them covered the areas I was more concerned with. Givi and Hepco Becker both offer partial protection but not in a complete package.

I mounted both rear sections of the cage to the engine/frame mounts behind the foot rests. The upper portions are mounted into the through bolt mounts from frame to engine. I know Hepco requires the removal of the through bolt with the utilization of a longer one with threaded inserts, I'm using knurled aluminum compression plug nuts typically used to secure mountain bike headsets to the stem. The two halves meet in the middle, slotting into each other for a pretty tight fit.

They're made from .75" OD DOM steel with a wall thickness of .083". Total weight is about 8lbs - more than I wanted but couldn't imagine anything thinner and still being structurally sound. I bent it all up using a JD2 bender, then TIG welded and painted with Raptor Liner (planning on inexpensive touch ups over time). The first set I build was made from cheap electrical conduit as a model rather than waste all the good metal on the learning curve. Total cost of materials was around $120.

Time will tell how well they work, hoping not to find out anytime soon but wanted to prepare for a Big Bend trip in Feb where lots of jagged rocks will be present. Need to work out a new skid plate next.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
You made those yourself? I love seeing when people fab their own stuff even when our DIY’s look rough around the edges but WOW, these bars look good. Those kinds of bends and welds aren’t easy to do symmetrically

Are you considering making them for sale? Is it even something you can produce consistently?

seriously I am impressed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Before I started on these I wanted to be able to reproduce them for sale. It was much more difficult than I anticipated because I was trying to limit the amount of the bends and one-off fixes (like torch bending an angle). That being said I don't think it's impossible, but I will need to put this set through its paces to work out any weak points or design flaws.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts