Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to bring the handlebars of my scrambler icon closer to my body. Two different mechanics have told me that you can't w/o buying longer cables and brake line. Another mechanic said I could move the stock bar back 1-1.5 inches back w/o messing with all of the cables and wires etc. I'm open to suggestions. I would like to keep the stock bars and the costs down

·
Registered
892 Posts
Two different mechanics have told me that you can't w/o buying longer cables and brake line. Another mechanic said I could move the stock bar back 1-1.5 inches back w/o messing with all of the cables and wires etc. I'm open to suggestions.
Loosen the 4 bolts holding the bar clamp together. Rotate the bars back to the position you want. Tighten the bolts. Look at the wiring and cables to see how they are sitting. Turn the bars hard left and check the cables. Turn the bars hard right and check the cables. If the are no issues start the bike and repeat making sure there is no change in idle speed as you turn the bars.
If there are problems put the bars back where they were (there are alignment marks of the bars).
It is not a difficult process and it is not something that needs the collective wisdom of a gaggle of experts for you to try or not try.
Keep in mind that the switch blocks and throttle housing are pinned to the bars so as you rotate the bars back the angle of those items may become uncomfortable. If it does you can just grind or file the pins off. They are only there to make assembly easy and consistent and serve no purpose as far as function or safety is concerned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your response. What you have described is the first thing that I did. Still not enough. I want to bring the entire bar closer to my body by an inch or so.

·
Registered
892 Posts
In that case something like Rox risers or knock off of Rox Risers from Asia would be worth a try. With the Rox products you can angle the base of the bars any way you want within the arc of the riser.
SW Motech amongst others make riser/bar back devices that achieve what you are after but they are fixed. What you see is what you get which may or may not work. See this link for an example.
Sw-Motech LEH.00.039.21000.B Handlebar Riser Barbacks & Top Clamps for BMW, Ducati, Honda | Accessories International
Strange as it may seem the other option may be lower bars that have more sweep back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think if the problem is that acute you will have to consider different bars. I am unsure of what bar options you have but you may have to try a totally different shape of bar.
I changed my stock bars to the lower rise version from Ducati (c/w full fitting kit). I have rotated it to comfortable for me. The result is, my shoulders are now higher, this allows for a better hand grip angle. Since the bar is the correct one from Ducati, there wasn't any problem with the cables and a sense of sitting slightly higher, thus the overall effect is a more comfortable seating position and use of the handlebar controls, for me.
Perhaps you can try a bike with an alternative handlebar from a Ducati dealer, if they're close enough to you, before you decide.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
How much cable slack do you have? Rox Risers would be the ticket, but they're 2 inch, so you'll need a good amount of slack. You may need to snip the cable ties under the tank and around the steering stem to get as much play as possible. As mentioned, you might try a different bar and use the risers to angle them right where you want.

Sarah

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I think if the problem is that acute you will have to consider different bars. I am unsure of what bar options you have but you may have to try a totally different shape of bar.
I changed my stock bars to the lower rise version from Ducati (c/w full fitting kit). I have rotated it to comfortable for me. The result is, my shoulders are now higher, this allows for a better hand grip angle. Since the bar is the correct one from Ducati, there wasn't any problem with the cables and a sense of sitting slightly higher, thus the overall effect is a more comfortable seating position and use of the handlebar controls, for me.
Perhaps you can try a bike with an alternative handlebar from a Ducati dealer, if they're close enough to you, before you decide.
What height are you (I am 5'3.5") and can you post a picture of the bars on your bike please?
How much further back are they than the Icon bars?
I am struggling to find a riding position where my arms hang loose and hands lightly grip the bars.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmm, difficult one. I'm 5'9" tall. There is very little adjustment (they are marked for alignment with little white crosses.) with the bars and as said before the lines etc may need extending for your comfort. I would consider different shaped bars if I were you. You could try sitting as forward as possible, your crutch area more forward and closer to the tank. Is there a custom bike builder near you or perhaps you can correspond with them online/email and pics.
Good luck coz when you get the positioning right for you, it is truly a wonderful little bike.

·
Registered
892 Posts
There is very little adjustment (they are marked for alignment with little white crosses.)
The marks are only there for assembly purposes so bikes have a consistent look and feel out of the box. There is nothing to stop the owner changing the position of the various components to suit themselves. Obviously some items are pinned to the bars but again that is only for assembly purposes. If an owner buys new bars they will have to remove the pins anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The marks are only there for assembly purposes so bikes have a consistent look and feel out of the box. There is nothing to stop the owner changing the position of the various components to suit themselves. Obviously some items are pinned to the bars but again that is only for assembly purposes. If an owner buys new bars they will have to remove the pins anyway.
Thanks again for all comments and advice. Sounding like the mechanics were right and I will need to buy longer cables etc. I already looked on Ducati accessory sites and couldn't find any handlebar kits or longer cable choices?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I don't think you'll be able to keep the stock bars if the cables are snug as is. How about a more narrow bar with a bit less height combined with the Rox (or copycat) risers? You have a slew of 7/8" bars to choose from, take a look here, for example:

Handlebar Information

Handlebar preference is subjective, and generally involves a bit of trial and error, in my experience. Worth the trouble to get it right, something you'll appreciate every time you ride.

Sarah

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think you'll be able to keep the stock bars if the cables are snug as is. How about a more narrow bar with a bit less height combined with the Rox (or copycat) risers? You have a slew of 7/8" bars to choose from, take a look here, for example:

Handlebar Information

Handlebar preference is subjective, and generally involves a bit of trial and error, in my experience. Worth the trouble to get it right, something you'll appreciate every time you ride.

Sarah
Thank you Sarah. Good info for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts