Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have done just over 6,000 miles on my FTP in the first year.
One issue I still have is aching arms, pins and needles in my hands etc.
Have added risers, and changed to Icon bars, moving them backwards (and forwards).
Am only 5'4" max and have always thought the bars might be too wide for me. Have been reluctant to shorten them but am now resolved to do so with the Icon bars.
The question is by how much? I know it's 'how long is a piece of string' but any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Have done just over 6,000 miles on my FTP in the first year.
One issue I still have is aching arms, pins and needles in my hands etc.
Have added risers, and changed to Icon bars, moving them backwards (and forwards).
Am only 5'4" max and have always thought the bars might be too wide for me. Have been reluctant to shorten them but am now resolved to do so with the Icon bars.
The question is by how much? I know it's 'how long is a piece of string' but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Move the furniture in as far as you can, the 1st bend and brake hose banjo will dictate your limit, then cut off the inch or so that's left protruding out where the bar-end goes.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
We should really give people some credit for common sense.
Anyway, here's something I've done to various bikes. Use the end of the bars to clamp a mirror on directly to the bar instead of the vulnerable bar-end weight that can come loose etc. That's if you like bar-end mirrors that is.

Bar mirror.jpg

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
There may also be a 'locator pin' you have to grind off the controls to slide them inwards - they tend to have tiny holes in the bars these pins drop into to help the shop line everything up the same.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
An inch on each side sounds like a lot, but I can't judge that for you.

We have two bikes in the garage, and the bars on the DR650 seem much narrower than on the DS, while the measured difference is less than an inch in total.

I would start with half an inch per side, if that's not enough you can still take off another half inch. But as Hui suggested, slide the brake/clutch perch and the switch gear in place before you start cutting off your bars. You'd feel a fool if either of them won't fit anymore cause by the bend in the bars...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An inch on each side sounds like a lot, but I can't judge that for you.

We have two bikes in the garage, and the bars on the DR650 seem much narrower than on the DS, while the measured difference is less than an inch in total.

I would start with half an inch per side, if that's not enough you can still take off another half inch. But as Hui suggested, slide the brake/clutch perch and the switch gear in place before you start cutting off your bars. You'd feel a fool if either of them won't fit anymore cause by the bend in the bars...
Thanks once again to Hui and you Max.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts