Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I have a Sixty2, so the 399cc engine. I noticed the other day at about 1000 miles on the bike that when accelerating or even while giving it throttle at a stop I hear a strange sound. The best way to describe it is similar to the sound a glass vase or wine glass makes if you rub around the rim; if you know what that sounds like. It's clearly noticable in 1st and 2nd but not so much at higher speeds, I think due to engine and wind noise.

I took it to the dealer to have new bars put on and told them but they said they didn't hear anything. They said if it gets worse bring it back. I will contact them again soon and take it back, especially if it gets more noticeable.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really even have a thought on where to start. I'll see if there is some way to get audio/video. It may be too faint to hear over other noises.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure how to upload video but I will try. It's only 17 seconds but you can hear the high(er) pitch sound a couple of times. Maybe from the exhaust system somewhere.

Can't figure it out but will keep trying.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When did this start? Have you had your first service yet? When was your last oil change?

Some of that sounded like spring noise (the springs on the exhaust rattle and ring easily) but there were definitely a few odd louder sounds that I think you were referring too. Something resonating loudly. Could be problematic...could be nothing to worry about.

My best guess is something, could be anywhere on the bike, is resonating with a frequency the engine is putting out. It's probably not a big deal, but I wouldn't like it either.

Check for loose screws and temporarily mute the exhaust springs with electrical tape. That's step 1.

Show the dealer this video or reproduce the issue for the tech yourself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. It started at 1000 miles, shortly after the first service at 600 miles. It definitely sounds like it is coming from somewhere within the exhaust system under the seat, but it is hard to tell. Will give your idea a go, and will take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks. It started at 1000 miles, shortly after the first service at 600 miles. It definitely sounds like it is coming from somewhere within the exhaust system under the seat, but it is hard to tell. Will give your idea a go, and will take it to the dealer.
Is the bike acting differently at all? Does it shudder or lose pull when it makes that sound?

Were any changes made to the bike around or just before the 1000 mile mark, aside from the first service at 600?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No change that I notice while riding. It has stalled at start up in the morning twice since the first service and it never did that before.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the exact same sound on a sixty2. I only notice it when riding by something that reflects the sound back at me. A wall or building for instance. It's done it from the jump. I wonder how it sounds to a pedestrian.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,

+1, I have the exact same issue on a Sixty2, similar to the resonance of a wine glass, or a sine wave at around 350 Hz, noticeable at idle, but mostly in 1st-2nd gear. It also appeared at around 1200 miles, a few weeks after 1st service, and also feels like spring noise / something resonating near the clutch area, on the right part of the bike. Performance is not affected but the resonance can cover the engine sound in the 3-4k rpm range, and its specific frequency makes it really annoying, even when using earplugs, to the point I still heard it at night on a few days touring - to understand, try googling “online tone generator”, set it at 350 Hz, and listen for a few minutes..
I also tested a demo Sixty2 which makes the exact same sound/resonance but at a much much much lower level, hardly noticeable, “stable” and without any weird resonance as described by the OP or in my case.
The bike already spent a lot of time at the dealer checking and re-checking the exhaust system and every single bolt and spring, they acknowledged the issue, tried their best but apparently don’t know how to solve it.

Do you have any updates on this issue or any clue on what to look at?
Thank you!

Valentin

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi guys,
Did any of you find out what that noise was?

I've ridden my bike for the first time since February and I've noticed a slight sound similar to what you guys are talking about.
Its like a mechanical resonating hollow sound. It also fades in and out.
It continuously makes the noise including riding along and idle.
It's hardly audible but definately there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi,

Apparently, on my Sixty2, removing both parts of the exhaust cover/heat shield seems to solve the problem, could you please try and confirm? :)

(btw the heat shield resonates very very easily, like a tuning fork, when gently tapped with the handle of a screwdriver.. cheap.)

Valentin

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi,

Apparently, on my Sixty2, removing both parts of the exhaust cover/heat shield seems to solve the problem, could you please try and confirm? :)

(btw the heat shield resonates very very easily, like a tuning fork, when gently tapped with the handle of a screwdriver.. cheap.)

Valentin

Hi there, I've not had chance to remove the exhaust heat shields yet.
It seems as though the noise has become much less apparent since riding the bike again. A strange one indeed!

Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey folks. Glad there has been some discussion. I don't have any updates but it's still there and I just ride it as is. Still love the bike.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts