Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this is an odd question but I would love to know if anyone has tried to get as much weight out of their scrambler as possible.

I am thinking of getting a new Ducati and leaning toward a Cafe Racer. I love the bike but the only thing that's kind of off-putting is the weight. That bike would be so epic if you could just get about 50-60lbs out of it. I'm not really interested in getting more power. I'm really more curious about getting as much weight out of it as is realistic.

I figure that a few of you have changed exhausts to lightweight units and know how much weight that loses, and probably wheels, maybe some lighter suspension parts, and possibly an alternative to the steel tank (which I suspect is fairly heavy). I hope that some people have tried and know where the heavy parts are and what are the best parts to change.

So instead of starting from scratch and reinventing the wheel, I figured I would ask here and what other members here have done. Maybe a few members here can say something like 30-40lbs is not too difficult and would go like this.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others have found/done. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
There are at least a couple threads on it. Exhaust, cat, charcoal canister, tail tidy, smaller mirrors, handle bars, and tool kit are easy weight loss you'd probably do anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are at least a couple threads on it. Exhaust, cat, charcoal canister, tail tidy, smaller mirrors, handle bars, and tool kit are easy weight loss you'd probably do anyway.
Thanks. I did a search but didn't find much. This is helpful though. I figured that those things would be the first, followed by things like battery, wheels, brake discs and hardware, and maybe even the tank. Although I have not found an aluminum or carbon tank anywhere so I am not sure if they exist.

Thank you, though. This is a start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks. I did a search but didn't find much. This is helpful though. I figured that those things would be the first, followed by things like battery, wheels, brake discs and hardware, and maybe even the tank. Although I have not found an aluminum or carbon tank anywhere so I am not sure if they exist.

Thank you, though. This is a start.
Take a look at the Bad Winners Scrambler:

The aluminium tank should save a bit of weight, but otherwise there are not a lot of big areas to shed weight on these bikes but every gram counts. I have a separate post on the weight savings of some upgraded rotors and it isn’t much. Carbon wheels, lithium battery, Tail tidy kit, and a full titanium exhaust would be the biggest areas to lose weight. Good luck!

·
Registered
780 Posts
The amount of weight you can shed will be inversely proportional to the amount of money you are willing to spend. For a simple low spec bike like a Scrambler the effort will not be worth the expense. You will get more enjoyment and save a shit load of money and have more fun by simply upgrading the suspension and then actually riding the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The amount of weight you can shed will be inversely proportional to the amount of money you are willing to spend. For a simple low spec bike like a Scrambler the effort will not be worth the expense. You will get more enjoyment and save a shit load of money and have more fun by simply upgrading the suspension and then actually riding the bike.
The "saving weight costs money" is ALWAYS the case with making something light, whether or not it's low spec to begin with. Furthermore, the purpose isn't to reduce weight and park the bike. The purpose is to reduce as much weight as is reasonable and ride it a lot. If I wasn't going to ride it a lot, I wouldn't bother with doing anything to it - or even bother buying it in the first place.

Also, just because a bike starts out as low spec doesn't mean it's not worth making it higher spec. Starting with the right air cooled platform that will work best for my needs is really all it takes.

Reactions: dukboy123

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know that this is an odd question but I would love to know if anyone has tried to get as much weight out of their scrambler as possible.

I am thinking of getting a new Ducati and leaning toward a Cafe Racer. I love the bike but the only thing that's kind of off-putting is the weight. That bike would be so epic if you could just get about 50-60lbs out of it. I'm not really interested in getting more power. I'm really more curious about getting as much weight out of it as is realistic.

I figure that a few of you have changed exhausts to lightweight units and know how much weight that loses, and probably wheels, maybe some lighter suspension parts, and possibly an alternative to the steel tank (which I suspect is fairly heavy). I hope that some people have tried and know where the heavy parts are and what are the best parts to change.

So instead of starting from scratch and reinventing the wheel, I figured I would ask here and what other members here have done. Maybe a few members here can say something like 30-40lbs is not too difficult and would go like this.

50-60lbs is unrealistic. The 797 Monster and Scrambler are already minimalist machines.

Cutting 10lbs is realistic for not much investment.
Cutting 20lbs is realistic With $.
Cutting more than 25-ish pounds would necessitate altering the bike to the point it would no longer be a Scrambler.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This is excellent. Thank you. Some of those are the easy places to start.

As to your previous post, I do think that's more or less correct. I think that 25 pounds would be a realistic goal. There would be a touch of possibility to go more but the frame, subframe, and swingarm are relatively heavy (engine too) and so if you leave those things alone and work on the rest, I think that you're looking at 25 pounds max, with the tank probably being the biggest wildcard.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a separate post on the weight savings of some upgraded rotors and it isn’t much. Carbon wheels, lithium battery, Tail tidy kit, and a full titanium exhaust would be the biggest areas to lose weight. Good luck!
I think that you saved a good bit with those rotors, relatively speaking. The difference should really be in braking performance but I'm sure when paired with some light carbon wheels, the difference in rotating mass would be evident.

I am not a big "change every bolt to titanium" kind person so that's not what I'm thinking. I do think that the weight would be in wheels/brakes, full ti exhaust, fender eliminator, maybe ditch some of the heavier plastic parts, and then I would just change out the controls and master cylinders to some better units, upgrade the suspension, and call it a day. Should be a very entertaining bike at that point.

Thanks for all the responses so far. It's greatly appreciated.

Reactions: drwalrus

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I think that you saved a good bit with those rotors, relatively speaking. The difference should really be in braking performance but I'm sure when paired with some light carbon wheels, the difference in rotating mass would be evident.

I am not a big "change every bolt to titanium" kind person so that's not what I'm thinking. I do think that the weight would be in wheels/brakes, full ti exhaust, fender eliminator, maybe ditch some of the heavier plastic parts, and then I would just change out the controls and master cylinders to some better units, upgrade the suspension, and call it a day. Should be a very entertaining bike at that point.

Thanks for all the responses so far. It's greatly appreciated.
Have fun and keep us posted. Not my thing as the level I ride at I wouldn't know the difference but it's always interesting to see what other folks do for both enjoyment and practical reasons. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here’s an idea. Go test ride a Triumph Scrambler then buy the Ducati. 80 lbs. Poof! :) Change the exhaust and enjoy it. It’s not the best at anything and losing weight won’t make it so but it’s REALLY GREAT at everything so as someone else already said. Just ride it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The license plate holder and the Cat are about 25-30lbs combined. From there, a Lithium-ion battery battery, smaller mirrors, foot levers and a new seat could shed maybe another 20lbs. From there on, you will need to get pretty expensive Custom parts to replace what’s left.

Cool project, please keep us posted on what you find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know why so many guys have been pessimistic about your project. I had an Urban Enduro which I then traded in for my Desert Sled. The Sled is 50lbs heavier and I can definitely feel the difference in acceleration. So yeah, shedding some weight is an admirable goal. I think 30lbs is pretty doable. Most of the big stuff has been mentioned, exhaust, wheels, license plate holder, mirrors, controls, etc. I put a lithium battery in my '96 SS and was astounded at the difference that made. I think I dropped 5+ lbs just with that one addition (subtraction). Check out Motowheels.com, they have all kinds of weight saving parts there. Randy Martin at Stradafab.com makes cool titanium parts. You could also check out Revival and some of their builds. A friend of mine had them do up his 750 Monster and they really cleaned up the front end with a different headlight and instrument pod. Much lighter in both appearance and weight.

Maybe some guys are thinking you're going to drop $10K right off the bat on a $10K bike. If that's what you're going to do more power to you but more likely it will be a long process over the next year or so, correct? Looking at it through that lens, it seems more reasonable. Good luck man! Would love to see the finished project!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know why so many guys have been pessimistic about your project.

Maybe some guys are thinking you're going to drop $10K right off the bat on a $10K bike. If that's what you're going to do more power to you but more likely it will be a long process over the next year or so, correct? Looking at it through that lens, it seems more reasonable. Good luck man! Would love to see the finished project!
Yes, it would probably be a year long project. I don't want it to look like something that's not a Scrambler or a Cafe Racer. Reading through a bunch of stuff, I think that it wouldn't be super difficult.

As far as the pessimism, that's usually par for the course with things like this. People think there's no need so why do it, or that it's a fool's errand so why do it, or it's just stupid so why do it. It's not a big deal. I have some pretty neat Ducatis that I love to ride and I don't think that I would own a single one if I took the pessimists seriously. However, I wouldn't be able to own any of them with the joy that I do if I didn't ask for help from others with their experiences and use that help and guidance to assist in bettering my ownership experience. So I don't mind the pessimism because along with the pessimists, there will be plenty of others who offer great insight and knowledge.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here’s an idea. Go test ride a Triumph Scrambler then buy the Ducati. 80 lbs. Poof! :) Change the exhaust and enjoy it. It’s not the best at anything and losing weight won’t make it so but it’s REALLY GREAT at everything so as someone else already said. Just ride it and enjoy it.
Absolutely this.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ha. There's a reason I ruled out a Thruxton R for this project.

To be clear, I don't want to make the Scrambler something else. I don't think that losing weight off of it will make it into something it isn't and that's not the goal. I just want to make it as light as reasonably doable. As said before: exhaust, wheels/brakes, fender eliminator, and ditch a lot of the cheap plastic parts. I think there might be a good amount of weight there in that alone.

And regardless, I will ride it and enjoy it and I wouldn't be considering it if I didn't think that the Scrambler was already a great bike.

Reactions: drwalrus

·
Registered
200 Posts
Exhaust, stupid rear licence plate holder and battery are easy weight losses.
Still way in front of a Trumpy Hinkley-Davidson as I call them.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts