• No ..Stick with the OEM

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
What are you frightened of the dark?

The same things are there in the day too!

Been raining bad in Wales and on way to London today so no riding for me either.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just to confirm that the Mat Gecko headlight unit is plug and play. No removal of tank (or anything other than the OEM headlight unit).
Sorry for being a doofus but how to remove the stock headlight? Do I need to remove the headlight shroud too? Asking because I just ordered the Matt Gecko style light. Cheers

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just to add - looking at the motodemic headlight install it was a pretty major job. Hoping the Matt Gecko will be easier!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Just to add - looking at the motodemic headlight install it was a pretty major job. Hoping the Matt Gecko will be easier!

It is actually quite easy if you allow for "Italian engineering" that has been assembled by small Thai hands.
The only real trick is that you really need 4 hands or two people. One needs to hold the light assembly while the other undoes the bolts because if it is not held it will fall on the ground and it will break. Mine came within a whisker of falling and I think the dealer dropped Phils. I found the left (clutch) side harder to reinstall when I took the light off our bike because there is a little more contortion required with the hands. Once you have done it once you would have time to drink at least one beer after you finished removing and reinstalling it the second time if you allow 30 minutes for the whole job.
You can find the Scrambler workshop manual online fairly easily. Download it as it has step by step illustrated instructions.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok thanks, it's a lot more involved than say, my monster, which was a 2 minute job! Seems long-winded but reasonably straightforward. I pity anyone who just wanted to swap out their headlight bulb!

From the workshop manual its not completely clear if I need to disconnect the wiring to the indicators and ignition system? Is there enough slack to keep these connected whilst swapping out the headlight? On the motodemic video they lift the tank and run the ignition wiring back through the frame. Do I need to do the same?
Sorry for all the questions. Really appreciate the help! (and I'll make sure to have an extra person to catch the stock light!)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Is there enough slack to keep these connected whilst swapping out the headlight?
The LED light uses the standard plug so there is no tank lifting or additional connections or disconnections involved. You do not need to touch the indicators at all for the LED light , not the Motodemic one the other one. If you own a Scrambler look at the back of the headlight from the left (clutch) side of the bike and you will see the flat 4 wire (from memory) plug. The reason I took my headlight off is that the light stopped working on the way home from the dealer so I assumed it had blown a bulb but in actual fact it was just the plug not being seated properly and had worked loose.

BTW. It is much easier to do if the bike is on a works stand and vertical. If the bike is leaned over in the side stand the left side would be a pain to get at simply because its angled away from a normal sized adult. If you don't have a works stand maybe put something under the side stand foot so the bike is more vertical and strap it to the left so it can't fall over to the right.

·
Registered
733 Posts
1. On a wall - in dark - mark the height of dipped beam from about 12 foot away.
2. Use some masking tape or insulation tape and tape around the headlight and wrap it up over the bars - do this a few times to just hold the light from dropping when all screws are out.
3. On the light... Pull out the R clip and Undo the lower right adjusting screw completely.
4. Using a torx (may be allen) driver on the right side - gently undo the two screws that are above the adjuster and remove the bridge retainer.
5. Repeat on the left side - removing the 2 screws and bridge retainer.
6. Hold the headlight - now pull it forward and unclip the wire (dont do it at the begining because its a safety wire incase the headlight drops. - remove the tape.
7. Reverse to reassemble .
8. Adjust the headlight back to the marks you previously made.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I have to double check, but here goes: on low beam the two slits, and the top one of the two stacked lenses light up, and on high beam the two flooders at the bottom and the lense on the center also come on.

A5F3AD6C-6A70-40D2-A018-0C12041EBE20.jpeg

(pic from the interwebzzz)

61 - 80 of 102 Posts