Votes: 12 46.2%
  • No ..Stick with the OEM

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Fitted mine today. For a mechanical doofus like me, fitting was quite a major ball-ache.
I must have changed headlights and bulbs on half a dozen bikes (including a Monster) and the Scrambler is by far the most awkward and poorly thought out of the bunch.
Ignore the Motodemic how-to on YouTube - it doesn't help, refer to the workshop manual instructions. The actual job is fairly straightforward but there's a few steps that would be much easier with a second person to help. First off, you will need a star bit like this:
star_bit.jpg

Start by releasing the R Clip on the beam adjustment screw. Then remove the whole screw, careful to catch the spring which may ping off. Then undo the 4 retaining bolts that hold the headlight in position.
See pic.
20190120_144621.jpg

They are very awkward to get to. You will need a long socket spanner with the star bit as shown above. You also need to somehow get your fingers into a very tight space to catch the retaining clamp. If you don't have someone to help, you may want to put some tape on your headlight as it will fall forward when you release the last retaining bolt.
20190120_145142_HDR.jpg

I don't know if this is the case with the Matt Gecko headlights (mine was a cheaper eBay clone) but all of the threads in the new headlight needed re-tapping. It's a pain, but not too difficult with patience and some WD40!
View attachment 38153
End result is a much brighter light. I've only ridden for a short while at night and the beam is not as uniform as the stock halogen lamp, more like two bright arcs that overlap instead of one continuous smooth beam of light. Difficult to describe, so I will try and follow up in the next day or two with some night pics to compare with the other guys who've already posted.
20190120_162953.jpg

Conclusion: A nice little upgrade. Now to deal with those Fugly turn signals!

·
Registered
135 Posts
OK, here's mine on low beam.
headlight lo.jpg

And on high beam:
View attachment 38217
As I hope you can see, my beam pattern is not uniform. More like two separate arcs of light, It's certainly bright, but I am a bit disappointed if I'm honest. Anyone experiencing this two arcs of light thing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, the Scrambler 1100 and the 2019 Cafe Racer have a 5 wire plug compared to the others that only have 4. The extra wire is for the Sensor the detects low ambient light and turns them on automatically. So finding a LED headlight has been impossible. I was curious if anyone had figured this out yet. It was brought up a couple times earlier in this thread. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
looks like you have to adjust it up (and may need a longer adjustment bolt to do so, mine was a bit too short). Low beam should light the street way further in front of you...
im finding this issue myself as well. The stock screw is completely out yet the headlight is still pointing a bit lower than I’d like. what size screw did you use and did it have a hole like the stock one for the clip?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
im finding this issue myself as well. The stock screw is completely out yet the headlight is still pointing a bit lower than I’d like. what size screw did you use and did it have a hole like the stock one for the clip?
Thanks!!
Same size, just half an inch longer. Still had one in my bolt bucket. And no, it did not have the groove for the clip.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts