Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot universal headlight units which require brackets and wire adapters. This is the only, which fits to original place, even original grill fits. I have a good H4 LED lamp from previous motorcycle, but i have no idea how to fit it to scrambler's headlight. I planned to add fog lights to increase light output.

IMG_0122.JPG

So, i ordered this unit from Matt Gecko. It also available on Aliexpress.com. This headlight costs as Petzl Nao+ touristic headlamp but have quite good build quality, aluminium baseplate with cooling fins, fits good and emits lots of light. Durability, watertightness and long lasting is questionable. And you need to clean thread from paint to ease of installation. I can't make a field test because of winter. Here is the photos of installed unit, beam pattern and some other details.

IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG IMG_0110.JPG

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have one on order.
Do you get/have installation instructions?
PS There is another thread on here if you want to have a look at it.

They will be the same as fitting an OEM headlight. Instructions for the OEM headlight are on line I will try to find them for you but it is easy to take it off and replace it, you just need four hands.

Edit:
Just remembered where they are. They are in the workshop manual for the Scrambler. If you don't have a copy PM me your email and I will send you one.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
They will be the same as fitting an OEM headlight. Instructions for the OEM headlight are on line I will try to find them for you but it is easy to take it off and replace it, you just need fours hands.
Thanks K1W1.
My third and fourth hands are doing the hoovering at the moment. Will enlist them.
Is it much easier than changing a bulb? I had mine done and the chap said it was a real pig. It seems no brighter so am going to try the MG unit.

·
Registered
733 Posts
No its the same as changing the bulb

You need to remove the 2 half round holders - which are the difficult bit to get the headlight off...

So the same pain... the other bits are relatively straight forward... those half round holders are just a pain to get too... also re fixing the adjuster I found a PAIN...

You need small hands like a little kid.. with double jointed joints...

·
Registered
897 Posts
You need to remove the 2 half round holders - which are the difficult bit to get the headlight off...

So the same pain... the other bits are relatively straight forward... those half round holders are just a pain to get too... also re fixing the adjuster I found a PAIN...

You need small hands like a little kid.. with double jointed joints...
I found one was easy to get to and one more difficult. I think the left (clutch) side was the more difficult. You have to be careful as when you take off the second holder the headlight unit will want to fall to the ground and it is made of glass. That is where I had four hands. My assistant held the headlight as I undid the screws.
I agree the adjuster thing is a PITA to get back in.
It is five screws (four to hold the two U clamps and one for the adjuster) and one plug to undo and really is quite straight forward you just need to think it through and work slowly and carefully.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've seen a lot universal headlight units which require brackets and wire adapters. This is the only, which fits to original place, even original grill fits. I have a good H4 LED lamp from previous motorcycle, but i have no idea how to fit it to scrambler's headlight. I planned to add fog lights to increase light output.

View attachment 37225

So, i ordered this unit from Matt Gecko. It also available on Aliexpress.com. This headlight costs as Petzl Nao+ touristic headlamp but have quite good build quality, aluminium baseplate with cooling fins, fits good and emits lots of light. Durability, watertightness and long lasting is questionable. And you need to clean thread from paint to ease of installation. I can't make a field test because of winter. Here is the photos of installed unit, beam pattern and some other details.

View attachment 37227 View attachment 37229
View attachment 37231 View attachment 37233
View attachment 37235 View attachment 37237
NB It's about £50 cheaper on Aliexpress.
I didn't realise it was on there until Florent posted it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You mean shipping cost? I would not rely on free China Post shipping. DHL costs on aliexpress.com too.

I have purchased several items from Aliexpress using the free postage option and everything has arrived okay in a reasonable time frame.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have purchased several items from Aliexpress using the free postage option and everything has arrived okay in a reasonable time frame.
Sorry if my English needs interpretations.
It's a local logistic features - I got headlight from Matt in 7 days via plane. But, in my imagination, free AliExpress shipping means a long travel through transsiberian railroad and sorting in facilities, which i can't reach even on my DS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just found this !!!! any issues with the unit to look out for?? im really disapointed on how bad de oem light is and looks even worse with the halo in white and inside yellow light... im really liking this so i would like to know past experiences from the people who got it

·
Registered
148 Posts
I installed this headlight in October of last year. It's pricey but quite good, excellent build quality and very good light output. And yes, total plug n play which is nice for a change. I purchased from Matt's website.

The one thing I'd recommend is to toss the clip nut that comes with it and use the one from the original headlight, it works much better.

The 3 different light modes, this is running lights

This is low beam

This is high beam

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed this headlight in October of last year. It's pricey but quite good, excellent build quality and very good light output. And yes, total plug n play which is nice for a change. I purchased from Matt's website.

looks great man! i already order it but should take a while to arrive here...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts