Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I have a 1100 sport pro with the type approved termi. I love the sound of the exhaust on idle when the bike is started and also when going full chat above 4500rpm. But between 3-4000rpm it goes a little quiet, presumably for drive by noise regs, as this is when the exhaust valve closes. It shuts around 3000 and opens again just after 4000.

Annoyingly most of the city riding 30 to 40mpg seems to be in the quiet range. So taking a leaf out of Gasman (thanks for your helpful posts), I ordered a Healtech ESE-D01 off eBay for £40. Fitted it yesterday. Just to clarify I still have the OE mid pipe with the cat (for now).

Had to disconnect and remove the battery to access the connector. I've left the servo in its place, just disconnected it from the loom and plugged in Healtech gizmo in.

The sound is now a little deeper with no loss of the exhaust phut-phut sound. There does not seem to be any loss of torque or throttle response. The decel popping is the same as before, no louder or more frequent (which I feel is a shame as I love the sound of it and was hoping for more!)

All in all a easy-ish 20 min job which has improved my enjoyment of the bike when cruising at 30 to 40 mph. And gives me the flexibility to add a de-cat midpipe later.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So (please, correct me if I am wrong) what you are saying is by installing the Healtech device without removing the original cat / flapper valve the net result has been that the flap is kept permanently open and riding the bike has shown no negative impact?

If so, and looking at how it wired in, do you think it's possible to add a switch to the Healtech?

I ask because it would be nice to have some relatively rowdy cans on the bike and with the flip of a switch be able to (at least some extent) lower the noise level in the event of a traffic stop or other occasion....

Some Holden cars have what is referred to as "bi-modal" exhaust which is essentially a two level control (manually operated from inside the car) for exhaust noise fitted by the factory.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it would be quite tricky. As when you connect the eliminator you actually disconnect the servo motor that closes the valve. It would need some sort of clever Y connector to leave them both connected and switchable.

Also I think there would be little benefit as the valve usually open anyway and only closes between 3-4000rpm.

So even if you had a switch and "re-activated" the valve it would not be closed in stand still traffic. The bike would only be quieter when travelling in that rev range which in the UK translates to 30 to 40 mph in 3rd gear

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey thanks for the reply...

so, Healtech equals flapper open at all times...

I was thinking it held the flap open when in reality the flap is open at all times unless the ECU decides it needs to close..

cheers..Alby.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's right. The flap is usually open on start and stays open until you hit about 3k rpm. At this that flap closes and stays closed until you exceed 4k rpm. The bike goes a little quieter while the valve is closed especially the phut phut sound from the exhaust.

Even though it's only a narrow range it unfortunately coincides with a lot of city riding which is why I decided to disconnect it. I am also considering a de cat midpipe which would remove the exhaust valve too so this was a logical first step.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You might be able to fab up a pull wire to manually close the valve. I have Akras on my 1100 Sport, I'm going to just do a Y pipe. Plus, take out the db killers but be able to put them back in...

·
Registered
838 Posts
You might be able to fab up a pull wire to manually close the valve. I have Akras on my 1100 Sport, I'm going to just do a Y pipe. Plus, take out the db killers but be able to put them back in...
I have the Akra's without the db killer but with the cat still in place. I find it hard to believe that you wan't even more sound then this as I find it to be pretty damn loud. Do love it though:cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I will likely leave the DB killers in most of the time. I mostly want to remove the exhaust valve. Once in a while you want to get rowdy though! 😈

1 - 9 of 9 Posts