Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum and have been reading about the over heating of the air cooled engine. I used to have 2008 Triumph Thruxton, and it got pretty hot during summer in stop and go in city traffic. For that reason I sold my Triumph.

Any idea if Ducati is planning on addressing this? Or how bad is the problem? I read somewhere that if I remove the cat and wrap the pipes, the heat is not that bad.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. As I really like the bike and plan to buy it.

Thnx

·
Registered
997 Posts
Strange. I own a Triumph Thruxton 2013 and a Desert Sled and none of them gets too hot in summer.
It depends where you live and what the ambient temps are and in what conditions you ride. I had a loan T100 Bonneville from the Triumph dealer one day around 2015 and it was the most uncomfortably hot bike in traffic that I have ever ridden. The ambient temp that day was not high (low 30s C).
Our Scrambler can get hot in stop start traffic in summer but on the open road there are no problems.
The first Tiger I had was also incredibly hot in traffic on hot days. The one I have now is considerably better now Triumph have made the radiator larger and improved the air flow.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Just keep rolling and you'll be fine.

Ducati's been using this engine over 30 years in some form or another, you don't hear much about overheated engines... I bet the rider is fried before the engine is.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Just keep rolling and you'll be fine.

Ducati's been using this engine over 30 years in some form or another, you don't hear much about overheated engines... I bet the rider is fried before the engine is.
Yep, not a problem a 'characteristic' one might say. Mine gets hot if I get stuck in traffic but once I'm moving it's fine. When I say it gets hot I'm not suggesting the bike engine is overheating, more that my leg is on fire.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi guys,

Any idea if Ducati is planning on addressing this? Or how bad is the problem? I read somewhere that if I remove the cat and wrap the pipes, the heat is not that bad.

Thnx
When you ride the scrambler you are sitting really close to the top cylinder which irradiates a lot of heat when you are not moving. If you plan to be stuck in traffic very often and you live in a warm place, it might be a problem. The heat will come up from the opposite side the bike is leaning towards so everytime you stop you can switch the "leaning-leg" from left to right and spread the cylinder's love amongst both legs. In my opinion wrapping the pipes won't make much difference as the main source of heat does not come from those.

In the other hand, during colder months this heat is sweet :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum and have been reading about the over heating of the air cooled engine. I used to have 2008 Triumph Thruxton, and it got pretty hot during summer in stop and go in city traffic. For that reason I sold my Triumph.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. As I really like the bike and plan to buy it.

Thnx
The main source of heat on the inner right leg comes from the rear cylinder header pipe, it runs at 400c while the engine itself is nowhere near that @ up to 110c or so. The way I’ve combatted it for these and other Ducati’s is to wrap the header from the head round to under the heat shield, this makes a massive difference as the exhaust temps drop to around 200c at this point without the total wrapped look I don’t like
Ceramic coating the pipe made virtually if not no difference to the measured temp of the pipe.

The Sixty2 exhaust is less of a problem I believe as the rear cylinder header doesn’t take the same route as the 800, it turns down the back of the engine to the collector.

Or take my other route and custom make an exhaust. Front pipe = right silencer. Rear pipe = left silencer

1215849F-9D7A-4874-9B7E-2448EA39D211.jpeg

·
Registered
31 Posts
For me, just replacing the slip-on for one without catalyzer made a huge difference dropping the temperature and also using the booster plug.
As already mentioned. The problem is just on a stop, and worst if its a hot day, I feel it burns my right leg :S. While rolling you don't feel it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Because my bike is eu4 (icon 2019), I heard that wrapping the exhaust pipe will make my bike loose a lot of power. Can a ECU remapping fix this? Or are there other solutions for this? I want to wrap it for the look not becauae of the heat, solving the heat problem is just a bonus.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Because my bike is eu4 (icon 2019), I heard that wrapping the exhaust pipe will make my bike loose a lot of power. Can a ECU remapping fix this? Or are there other solutions for this? I want to wrap it for the look not becauae of the heat, solving the heat problem is just a bonus.
Lol, whoever said such a daft thing clearly knows nothing about it. If anything the power and torque would increase due to the hotter gasses speeding up. Faster gas in the pipe causes less resistance to the gasses coming fast out the combustion chamber. Behind the pulse is a vacuum which helps draw the spent fumes out, this called scavenging. On the Scrambler engines low state of tune and little overlap at the valves then the gain if any would be difficult if not impossible to measure let alone feel. You will however notice the difference on your right leg.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The guy told me that the lambda probe (I hope I've translated right) from the 2019 model (new euro 4 emission standard) is different drom the old euro 3. I want to upgrade the pipe to a Zard one and wrap the rest of it. So I can do that and I will not lose power, destroy the engine or something else

Send feedback

History

Saved

Community

·
Registered
211 Posts
The guy told me that the lambda probe (I hope I've translated right) from the 2019 model (new euro 4 emission standard) is different drom the old euro 3. I want to upgrade the pipe to a Zard one and wrap the rest of it. So I can do that and I will not lose power, destroy the engine or something else

Send feedback

History

Saved

Community
You will not destroy the engine and the lambda probe could not care less what temperature the outside of the pipe is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently bought a 2019 Full Throttle. On the day I picked it up it was about 29 degrees and I couldn’t believe how hot the engine got when coming through central London - lots of stop start traffic.

It really does take some getting used to, but will be lovely in winter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts