Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

Heated grips

15K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  309 
#1 ·
Has anyone fitted Oxford heated grips to their Scrambler? I always thought heated grips were a waste of time but they were fitted to my last bike (Triumph Tiger) as standard and I thought they were really good. I ride throughout the year but I am a real wuss when it come to cold weather so I need to get some heated grips or gloves!

#2 ·
I haven't got heated grips but have had them on another bike. I suffer terribly in the cold (why I don't ride in winter) and found that grips only heated the palm of my hands and my fingers still froze. I've got Gerbing heated gear for use with the Scrambler and although it's more of a faff, the heating is far superior (especially when you have the jacket too! :wink-80: )

#3 ·
I'd be more inclined to buy a pair of heated gloves rather than heated grips.

Having said that though I have been wearing Dianese Ergotour goretex gloves (non heated) in temps of -3c and my hands have never been anything but toasty. Granted, they aren't cheap (approx £140 full retail) but well worth the money in my opinion.

Ohhhh and I don't have heated grips either.

#4 ·
Hello

I always had heated grips on my previous bikes, but for my Scrambler, I've first tested heated gloves.

Heated gloves have the huge advantage to heat all the hand and they are more efficient than heated grips, but... if they are battery powered, they won't last very long and the battery will always be empty when you need the gloves. If they are connected to the bike, you need to put cable in your coat and it's quite long to connect/disconnect them each time you go on and off the bike. My gloves were battery powered.

I've finally installed Tecnoglobe Gold heated grips, because I find them simpler to use than heated gloves. They are always there, you just have to push on a button to use them. Even if they heat your hands a little bit less than gloves, you can ride in winter with them.

#5 ·
I had a pair of Gerbing heated gloves in the past. They were good, very good, but I lost count of the amount of times I got off the bike and forgot to unplug them. Also I found the controls more difficult than the heated grips as you said vincelp.

#7 ·
Thanks Juicebox, I didn't even realise they came as oem parts. I also like uncluttered handlebars but I see what you mean about the price. The Oxford unit is a lot cheaper of course but the control unit is just plain ugly. I'm now going to have to save my pennies and buy the oem grips, as well as all the other bits I 'need'.

#8 ·
Hello

Here in France, the OEM heated grips are twice more expensive than aftermarket ones, like Tecnoglobe Gold. I'm just comparing the price of the heated grips and not including the fact that OEM ones need to go to your dealer for their activation.

I prefer to put 100 Euros in gasoline rather than in the difference between OEM heated grips and Tecnoglobe Gold heated grips.

#12 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the imput vincelp but the Tecnoglobe are similar to the Oxford grips with the large controller on the bars. If that was all that was available I would buy them but now I know there's an alternative with no handlebar mount I would rather pay the extra and get those.

#13 ·
I can't do without heated grips, and have always gone with the Symtec under grip heaters. Next time I might look at the Koso Grips:

Koso Apollo Heated Grips Review - webBikeWorld

Sarah
Thanks for the link Sarah. I will look at the cost of getting the Koso shipped to the U.K. Unfortunately the pound is at an all time low at the moment but it should still work out cheaper than the Ducati grips.

#15 ·
I had my heated grips fitted to my Scrambler today. They are the Ducati ones and they are awesome!
Whilst they are a lot pricier than other makes, the fact that they don't have any bulk associated with them and they are controlled through the starter button, makes up for it.
I've never had heated grips before so am looking forward to the luxury of having warm hands in winter!

Happy riding.

#16 ·
I had my heated grips fitted to my Scrambler today. They are the Ducati ones and they are awesome!
Whilst they are a lot pricier than other makes, the fact that they don't have any bulk associated with them and they are controlled through the starter button, makes up for it.
I've never had heated grips before so am looking forward to the luxury of having warm hands in winter!

Happy riding.
Yes, heated grips are a lot better than you'd think aren't they. I received my Keso grips a few days ago. I'd ordered them because I didn't want that big control unit on the bars. I was very disappointed when I opened the box to find one of the leads didn't have a battery terminal fitted. Not really a big deal, I bought one from my local parts store and crimped it on. The biggest disappointment was the very thick cable from the left grip. Very difficult to hide. I think I will sell them on eBay and get the Ducati ones next winter. Enjoy the heat.

#20 ·
Hi, had the Ducati heated grips fitted today. On way home I noticed two things: I didn't think they were THAT warm even on hot? Cobsisering today was warm it kinda feels like hot will be on a lot in deep winter? And when I was stopped at traffic lights etc the little "on" part of the visual icon vanished but came back on when moving. Does this mean the grips do not work when no revs (thinking this could be so there is no draw on battery when off?)
Just checking these are usual?
Cheers
Tink

#22 ·
Hi, had the Ducati heated grips fitted today. On way home I noticed two things: I didn't think they were THAT warm even on hot? Cobsisering today was warm it kinda feels like hot will be on a lot in deep winter? And when I was stopped at traffic lights etc the little "on" part of the visual icon vanished but came back on when moving. Does this mean the grips do not work when no revs (thinking this could be so there is no draw on battery when off?)
Just checking these are usual?
Cheers
Tink
OEM grips work great, when testing i was worried myself too about how hot they got in summer, but at low temperatures in winter it's just perfect

#26 ·
Old thread but the scrambler is now a daily ride and so I added heated grips and thought I'd share.
These are the Oxford retro. Install is pretty straightforward. Most of the time was spent removing ridges from the throttle tube. I mounted the control on the reservoir for the SB suspension shock on the left side of the bike so it doesn't clutter the handlebar and is still easily accessible.

Got hippo hand hand mitts to cover everything and it looks SUPER DORKY but hey, it's winter, nobody cares. With hand mitts and heated grips I'm back rocking my summer gloves. Temp this morning was 27F.

Attachments

#29 ·
Old thread but the scrambler is now a daily ride and so I added heated grips and thought I'd share.
These are the Oxford retro. Install is pretty straightforward. Most of the time was spent removing ridges from the throttle tube. I mounted the control on the reservoir for the SB suspension shock on the left side of the bike so it doesn't clutter the handlebar and is still easily accessible.

Got hippo hand hand mitts to cover everything and it looks SUPER DORKY but hey, it's winter, nobody cares. With hand mitts and heated grips I'm back rocking my summer gloves. Temp this morning was 27F.
Where did you get your power supply from? I would have liked to use the stock accessory grip connection but read they are only 6volts. I can connect to the battery but then it is easy to forget them and end up with a low battery. On cold days a low battery is about as good as a dead one.

#30 ·
If you buy your bike new which I know everybody can’t afford, I’ve been there. Specify the heated grips and the dealer will no doubt throw them in for free. I know nothing is free in this world but it makes you feel better if you think you got something for nothing. I got grips and an upgraded seat.

#31 ·
I will be picking up a 2018 Cafe Racer on Friday. Just showing 800 miles so it is almost like new. Not just because it saved money. I just fell in love with the black and gold color combo and I prefer cast wheels over spokes. I have some Koso Apollo heated grips on other bikes I own and found them wonderful. I know the 2018 Ducati SS has a switched electrical source for a GPS so was wondering if there was one on the Cafe Racer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.