Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've not seen any mention of this yet, but don't know if any other Scrambler riders have experienced excessive, resonant helmet noise. Both my wife and I noticed it instantly on her bike, and on anything other than table top smooth roads gives a real drumming noise through the helmet, similar to what you might get if you just crack open the front windows on your car at speed.

My personal opinion is that it is a combination of the block pattern tyrs and harsh suspension, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet. We both use ear plugs and wear Arai helmets. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Are they full face helmets Joe ?

I've not noticed anything, But I've only worn my BMW flip front hemet on the Scrambler, What I did notice was because we don't have a screen on the Scrambler I wasn't getting any buffeting on my helmet,
If we get a warmer day soon, I'll give it a go with my Jet helmet,

·
Registered
941 Posts
On my test ride I did all types of roads and was surprised just how quiet my c3 Pro helmet was so no noise for me

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elvisto - yes they are full face helmets. I must make a point of trying it with my open face Arai as well for comparison.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Mmmm I suppose it could be front tyre noise, or just the particular roads in your area, Have you done many miles on it yet ?
I know most of my miles have been done in North Wales where the road surface is excellent ,unlike when I get back into Staffordshire :rolleyes:
Just a thought, could the front disc or pads be greasy , allowing them to drag slightly, ? try putting the front brake on next time you have it happen, see what happens,
ps, It didn't have any odd noises when I rode the Demo bike either , Hope you get it sorted Joe, please keep us informed, Thanks, Graham

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We live near Donington Park, but we picked the bike up from Lincoln and my wife noticed it almost immediately. I rode it the next day on local roads and also noticed it straight away. I'm tempted to swap the tyres for some Michelin PR3's that I also have on my Multistrada, but it seems a shame to ditch almost new tyres, hence my post to ask if anyone else has experienced this. Bike currently has about 300 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Interestingly I got this noise with my Arai if I rode at speed (not on the Scrambler), I have a moveable chin piece under the jaw which you can pull out (I expect to help with wind noise). If I forgot to pull it out I would get the same resonating sound you describe, but pulled out it would disappear. However the Arai has a visor which does not close properly so I decided to invest in a Shoei GT Air - it is fab at any speeds I've been doing on the Scrambler (and I've been a bit naughty), best helmet noise (or lack of) I've had so far :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
How fast were you going? If you had problems at high speeds, it could that you were riding a naked bike. Hopefully, Ducati or the aftermarket come out with an easy on / off wind screen. The Scrambler fly screen is cute but appears to be useless.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is not wind noise, and nothing to do with it being a naked bike as between my wife, daughter and myself we currently have five other naked bikes of varying sorts, none of which produce the resonant loud helmet drumming. As for speed, it starts as low as 20mph and continues on from there.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mirrors, I wonder? I hope you figure it out; I know exactly what you mean as I get drummed to death if I try to crack the Prius windows at highway speed. Let us know.

Sarah

·
Registered
424 Posts
This is not wind noise, and nothing to do with it being a naked bike as between my wife, daughter and myself we currently have five other naked bikes of varying sorts, none of which produce the resonant loud helmet drumming. As for speed, it starts as low as 20mph and continues on from there.
If you have a half helmet (may not be legal where you are? ) go for a ride without ear plugs and see what you can hear.

When the noise starts (if it starts without ears covered) then try pulling clutch in, any change in sound?

Then try slightly dragging front then rear brakes.

Try this in various gears to see if its linked to a specific RPM range.

Can you hear this noise at a stand still when reving into various RPMs?

Do you have stock exhaust?

Does varying tire pressures (within safe range) change noise?

Do you feel vibrations or just hear sound?

Does it intensify with speed increase? Change nature at different speeds?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If you have a half helmet (may not be legal where you are? ) go for a ride without ear plugs and see what you can hear.

When the noise starts (if it starts without ears covered) then try pulling clutch in, any change in sound?

Then try slightly dragging front then rear brakes.

Try this in various gears to see if its linked to a specific RPM range.

This is not a mechanical resonance linked to rpm / brakes.

Can you hear this noise at a stand still when reving into various RPMs?

As above, this is not a mechanical resonance linked to rpm.

Do you have stock exhaust?

Yes, stock exhaust.

Does varying tire pressures (within safe range) change noise?

Not tried this, may be worth investigating, but as you say, there's a limited range of safe variation from standard pressures.

Do you feel vibrations or just hear sound?

No mechanical vibrations, but a drumming resonance in the helmet. This is not wind noise.

Does it intensify with speed increase? Change nature at different speeds?

Speed is a factor, but road surface seems more of a factor. It is there from slow speed to high speed, but the frequency changes with road speed. Smoother roads definitely reduce it. We're just back from a 160 mile ride across a wide variety of road surfaces, some of which amplify the problem.

The other thing today's ride has magnified is the woefully inadequate suspension on poor roads. It's a real shame as there's a really nice bike under all this trying to get out!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Cannot say really any different from my monster with similar AGV full face lids. I can tell you something I do notice more than anything a fuel pump noise or is that the ABS pump ? because when I start a journey the ABS light is on and disappears once moving. I sometimes feel the tyres knobblie pattern whether they are picking up gravel or something.

·
Registered
29 Posts
done nearly a 1000 miles now, not noticed any tyre noise; and we have some of those horrid concrete duel carriage ways over here too there realy noisy.
im using a shoei xr1100 with a chin insert.
am happy with the shocks too, less is more as far as im cocerned, they do the job very well.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I agree with you on the suspension Joe :( on poor roads, I've put mine on the hardest setting yesterday, i'll try it out tomorrow,
I think you've perhaps hit the nail on the head, regarding road surface/ speed /tyre noise, seems to be pointing to the tyre, :( but why isn't anyone else getting a similar problem ?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Just wondering if it's a combination of the shape of the Arai helmet, combined with the bars - perhaps the wind is directed in different directions due to the wide bars and lack of any screen? As I said I did get this with my Arai and haven't had it with any other helmet - I will try the Arai on the Scrambler and see what happens, but I don't get resonance of any kind with the Shoei.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary noisewise, Use a Shoei Quest on cold or wet rides earplugs & chin insert and a Roof Boxer on dry or warm days. I thought the tyres would be a bit iffy but I really like them wet or dry. I have tried the rear shock on every preload and settled on 2nd lowest, also had heavier oil in front and went back to 7.5w racing fork oil by Fuchs which seems a little less harsh.
Mostly all I hear is the Termi on full chat :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts