Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I've been in the market for a new helmet for a while. Have been reading your input with interest. I found a helmet I think would look great with the UE.

shark.jpg

If anyone out there has this helmet, I would love to get your feedback on fit/quality etc. I have a Shark full face helmet currently, which I bought when I visited the UK a while back. It's great, and I wore it on a cross country trip last year, it was super comfortable, so I would absolutely buy another Shark if similar in feeling. Main issue is there are no dealers near me, so not sure I want to order without being able to try on. Any input would be amazing!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've tried one on before. Seemed to have quite a round fit. I have a fairly normal intermediate oval shaped head and it didn't sit well.

Apart from that, build quality seemed good. Not excellent but good. I found it annoying that the goggle elastic wasn't stretchy enough to allow the goggles to sit on top of the helmet. So they are kind of fixed in position, unless you remove them.

Also, I'm not sure what the point of an open face helmet is, that covers your face. If I want to be covered, I'll just wear a full face with all the added protection. If I want to feel out in the open, a normal 3/4 does that better.

Each to their own though, it does look pretty cool.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have this helmet in green and ride UE. Living in Florida, it's the closest I've found to a perfect helmet for the climate I ride in. It offers impact resistance from our massive insects and torrential downpours, but still provides plenty of ventilation. The helmet has a lot more wind noise than the full face I own, but I think that's the nature of the open face. It does seem larger externally than a traditional open face helmet(like the bell helmets on the scrambler site), but I only really notice it when I'm riding faster that I should be(80+mph). Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the helmet, when it comes time to replace it I'll either stick with this helmet or look into the Bell MX-9 Adventure helmet. Hopefully this information was helpful. If I can help in any other way, let me know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Josh. I am looking for something that will go well with the look of my UE, as my current helmet is matte white with blue flowers. And okay, I'm not super girly, but it just doesn't look right with the UE. Wow, that really was a girly statement. [happy]

Thanks, Cody - good to know how it's working for you. I am planning another cross country trip for next year, so just want to be sure whatever I end up with will be able to handle all the wear and tear it will need to.

We may to NYC next weekend for the moto show to check stuff out in person. It's the easiest way to try things on, and I know Bell will be there.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thanks, Josh. I am looking for something that will go well with the look of my UE, as my current helmet is matte white with blue flowers. And okay, I'm not super girly, but it just doesn't look right with the UE. Wow, that really was a girly statement. [happy]
Thanks, Cody - good to know how it's working for you. I am planning another cross country trip for next year, so just want to be sure whatever I end up with will be able to handle all the wear and tear it will need to.
We may to NYC next weekend for the moto show to check stuff out in person. It's the easiest way to try things on, and I know Bell will be there.
Check out the Bell Moto 3. I'm really considering getting one. It's the helmet used in all the advertising for the new Desert Sled. It comes in a few really nice 70's style geometric patterns. It's a nice blend of the protection of a full face and the open minimal look of a 3/4. It has no visor, so you can use shades around town or some goggles for longer rides and should suit the UE really well.

Bell Moto-3 | Bell Helmets

I think the Moto 3 with the peak removed, in red with army green goggles would look awesome. The red would really contrast but go well with the UE badge!

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
If weight and ventilation is a consideration, you could check out the Airoh Aviator.

I have its precessor (Stelt Senior), which is really light, 1100 grammes only. Made from glass- and carbon fiber. They come in different shell sizes so a 'small' is actually really a small helmet, whereas most brands have one shell that is changed to head size with foam & padding. I wear a small, so for me that's kinda important.

Just remove the peak if you want, wear goggles and you have an awesome "streetfighter" helmet!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Josh - another great option to look into. Bell will be at the IMS show in NYC next weekend, so I'm hoping to get there to check out the Bullitt, and now the Moto 3 as well.

Max - I'm not familiar with the Airoh brand, so will look into that as well.

I won't be riding much at the moment, so I have some time to make the right choice for me! (Maybe Santa will bring multiple helmets......)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check out the Bell Moto 3. I'm really considering getting one. It's the helmet used in all the advertising for the new Desert Sled. It comes in a few really nice 70's style geometric patterns. It's a nice blend of the protection of a full face and the open minimal look of a 3/4. It has no visor, so you can use shades around town or some goggles for longer rides and should suit the UE really well.

Bell Moto-3 | Bell Helmets

I think the Moto 3 with the peak removed, in red with army green goggles would look awesome. The red would really contrast but go well with the UE badge!

So, I ended up going with the Bell. Thanks for the tip, Josh! :) I haven't been able to find army green goggles, but went with the 100% Barstow OSFA Dimitri Coste goggles for now. Need to remove the peak next.
100% Goggles - Racecraft, Accuri, Strata, Barstow, Youth, Accessories | Ride 100%

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just consider this chart when considering an open face helmet. Majority of impact is to the jaw area in a crash. Sold me on full face for good. That Bell is really nice looking! I have a Biltwell ****** I really like as well as a Bell RS1 for longer rides. Biltwell is also doing a full face similar to that Moto 3 called the Lane Splitter. Biltwell Lane Splitter Helmet
upload_2017-4-12_10-20-39.png

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just consider this chart when considering an open face helmet. Majority of impact is to the jaw area in a crash. Sold me on full face for good. That Bell is really nice looking! I have a Biltwell ****** I really like as well as a Bell RS1 for longer rides. Biltwell is also doing a full face similar to that Moto 3 called the Lane Splitter. Biltwell Lane Splitter Helmet View attachment 16825
Yeah, I get it. I'm definitely a gear advocate. But the Bell does have that jaw area covered, so in the end it's why I went with that over the Shark with foam/hard plastic piece. Like the look of that Biltwell - if only it came in a flat army green, I'd be all over it! (Have I mentioned I have at least 3 helmets functioning at any given time? Maybe that's too girly - I like helmet options!) ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
i bought the shark to replace my 5yr old full face shoei. its not all its cracked up to be. the plastic around the google lens is very soft and if you aren't careful when you are flipping it up on the helmet and then down over the eyes the lens can pop out of the groove in the plastic. its a cool looking helmet but its not an everyday helmet and i wear my shoei 9 out of 10 times. I want the Bell Qualifier DLX with the sena cutout in it. Graphics look like they would go with the UE really well. It also comes with a Transition shield so you don't have to ride home at night with the dark visor popped open.

Qualifier-DLX-Devil-may-care-matte.png

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i bought the shark to replace my 5yr old full face shoei. its not all its cracked up to be. the plastic around the google lens is very soft and if you aren't careful when you are flipping it up on the helmet and then down over the eyes the lens can pop out of the groove in the plastic. its a cool looking helmet but its not an everyday helmet and i wear my shoei 9 out of 10 times. I want the Bell Qualifier DLX with the sena cutout in it. Graphics look like they would go with the UE really well. It also comes with a Transition shield so you don't have to ride home at night with the dark visor popped open.

View attachment 16841
LOVE that one too! I am a big fan of Bell, so I'm sure at some point I will end up getting it..... #needasecondjobforallthemotothingsiwant

Reactions: thomasDS

·
Registered
788 Posts
So, I ended up going with the Bell. Thanks for the tip, Josh! :) I haven't been able to find army green goggles, but went with the 100% Barstow OSFA Dimitri Coste goggles for now. Need to remove the peak next.
100% Goggles - Racecraft, Accuri, Strata, Barstow, Youth, Accessories | Ride 100%
Let me know how you get on, I still really want a Moto3 but have yet to feel like I have enough spare money laying around for an 'occasional helmet.' I'm probably going to change bikes to something more serious this year but I'd even still love the Chemical Candy Moto3 if it was just an ornament!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts