Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been a while since I’ve been on here but wondering if someone with the du505 Öhlins shock could help me out?

My current Scrambler came with the shock on and it needs some adjusting, the rebound damping feels like it’s set to 0!! Springs back so fast.

All the user guides and photos online show the STX46 / du505 shock with a black ‘clicker’ knob at the base of the spring.
My shock does not have this...
There is a small hex head at the base of the shock and I want to check if this is the adjuster?
It’s stuck pretty tight, so double checking before I go at it.

My shock:

image In Öhlins manual/online:

Many thanks in advance,
Josh

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, the hex hole at the bottom is the rebound adjuster. The pic with the black knob is incorrect. The factory recommended setting for rebound is 22 clicks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Clockwise all the way in first (max rebound damping), then counter clockwise and count the number of clicks.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Just to clarify. By the term clicks it doesn’t mean you necessarily hear the click you feel it through the tool.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Some (most) adjusters have a distinct “click” feel, every 60° or so, like a notch. Some don’t and then you count in half or quarter turns at a time.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips guys, no luck so far though.
Adjuster seems a bit stuck and none of my allen or torx keys seem to get a good grip. Bit worried someone’s been ham fisted with it in the past...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No luck with the adjuster. It’s not budging at all!!

WD40 & penetrating oil did nothing to help loosen it and only willing to apply so much force.

Major bummer really, hopefully I can find somewhere local to service the shock when things begin to open back up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the same shock and I found this online - doesn’t help or answer your question I think though but I thought I would share.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bummer about the adjuster, sorry to hear it's locked up. You should be able to have it rebuild if you can't get it to come unstuck.
I have a question for you guys with this Ohlins shock. I bought one brand new and after install was let down by the actual affect the rebound adjustment makes. In my case, when pushing on it (standing at the back, holding the bike upright w/side stand up, and pushing the rear of bike down to get a sense of what the shock feels like and how much the adjusters change the shock characteristics). I feel almost no difference when the rebound adjuster/clicker is all the way in (slowest/max closed/tight) versus turned out (fastest/full open/soft). Example, at fully closed, the bike rebounds almost exactly the same as at 10 clicks out. Then back it off completely and there is only the tiniest, minute change. It is really reminiscent of a basic OEM shock where the clickers make minimal change and even at all the way in, it is still not enough damping. In my opinion and experience, an aftermarket performance shock should make more adjustment/change to the damping characteristics than what I feel on this one. The shock should almost not move with the clickers closed all the way off (turned in). At full Soft (clicker is open, backed off, fast)- The bike should rebound (spring back) quickly, immediately, like less than a second. All the way tight (clicker is closed, turned in, slow)- the bike should rebound super slow, take over a second or two. Thoughts? Is the Ohlins DU505/605 for the Scrambler just hardly better than the POS it comes with?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Where are you in the U.K? TW suspension is good at Preston and I think he’s still working. You could send it to him for a repair or rebuild if required.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I have 15 clicks out according to Dave Moss recommendation for me.
can i ask how much you weigh & which bike you are using? i have 2018 CR & just bought the ohlins shock set up for 170-190lbs. i've seen Dave Moss youtubes & i'm wondering if your set up would work for me. i'm having a bit of a *#"?! time setting it up. thnx

·
Registered
893 Posts
can i ask how much you weigh & which bike you are using? i have 2018 CR & just bought the ohlins shock set up for 170-190lbs. i've seen Dave Moss youtubes & i'm wondering if your set up would work for me. i'm having a bit of a *#"?! time setting it up. thnx
Get a professional to do it you won’t regret it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Firstly, when you say "I had the shock set up for 170-190lbs", what this means is they gave you the proper spring for that weight range. It doesn't have anything to do with setting up the Spring Preload (Free Sag) or rebound of the shock. That's an entirely separate thing and I bet that's what you're feeling, because it's not set up at all. One way to check is to do the following.

1) Grab your bike under the seat by the frame and pull up on it. There should be about 10-12mm of movement. Generally, from what I've seen, there's no free sag and or very little and it feels like you're trying to lift your bike up, which it shouldn't be.

The Ohlins Rear Shock manual tells you how and where to make your measurements.

The manual suggests 5-15mm of rear free sag. I believe Dave Moss told me to do 10-12, hence the reason I mentioned those values above.

For rebound, I believe he suggested 12-15 but I'm thinking to go more clicks out because when I hit an aggressive bump on the highway, I jump out of my seat a bit like if I was on a horse.

For front, if you're running stock, drop your forks 6-8mm through the triple tree, as this will improve the ergonomics of the bike. I switched to a ohlins fsk113 for the front (very minor upgrade) and dropped my front 6mm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Firstly, when you say "I had the shock set up for 170-190lbs", what this means is they gave you the proper spring for that weight range. It doesn't have anything to do with setting up the Spring Preload (Free Sag) or rebound of the shock. That's an entirely separate thing and I bet that's what you're feeling, because it's not set up at all. One way to check is to do the following.

1) Grab your bike under the seat by the frame and pull up on it. There should be about 10-12mm of movement. Generally, from what I've seen, there's no free sag and or very little and it feels like you're trying to lift your bike up, which it shouldn't be.

The Ohlins Rear Shock manual tells you how and where to make your measurements.

The manual suggests 5-15mm of rear free sag. I believe Dave Moss told me to do 10-12, hence the reason I mentioned those values above.

For rebound, I believe he suggested 12-15 but I'm thinking to go more clicks out because when I hit an aggressive bump on the highway, I jump out of my seat a bit like if I was on a horse.

For front, if you're running stock, drop your forks 6-8mm through the triple tree, as this will improve the ergonomics of the bike. I switched to a ohlins fsk113 for the front (very minor upgrade) and dropped my front 6mm.
thnx

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where are you in the U.K? TW suspension is good at Preston and I think he’s still working. You could send it to him for a repair or rebuild if required.
Currently just north of Manchester. I did email TW and got a speedy reply from Teut. Seems like a great guy but couldn’t do the work until July.

Kais suspension 20 mins from me can get me in anytime, ride in ride out. So going to give them a shot.

Öhlins approved service centre + all the rest. So should hopefully do a good job.

I’ve asked them about tuning the shock specifically for my usage/weight since it’s all coming apart and even if there is an opportunity to lengthen it at all. Cafe Racer shock is a bit longer than standard and reckon it will do the bike a world of good, as well as me. Liked the higher seat height when trying a CR.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Kais get a good reputation but I’ve used Teut a couple of times he really knows his stuff as I suppose do Kais.
Where are you from? I’m from near Bury.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts