Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to have my exhaust ceramic coated. To do so I obviously have to remove it. I have it all off but the little bit at the back of the vertical cylinder. I have managed to get off the left nut from the manifold but for the life of me can’t find a way of getting off the last nut.
Has anyone done this? And if so can you tell me how?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Going to have my exhaust ceramic coated. To do so I obviously have to remove it. I have it all off but the little bit at the back of the vertical cylinder. I have managed to get off the left nut from the manifold but for the life of me can’t find a way of getting off the last nut.
Has anyone done this? And if so can you tell me how?
Thanks
That nut is the least of your worries.
To get the rear header pipe off involves quite a lot of strip down. The battery, battery box, plastic panel above the swingarm and the ABS unit needs disconnected. the 2nd nut can be removed easily then but getting the pipe out it a fair operation. I've done it but interfering with ABS module is a pain, it can be done without disconnecting it but getting the pipe out without damaging frame paint and bending battery-box plastics like some others have described on here to me is unacceptable. TBH, you should maybe consider leaving that pipe and doing the rest, it can barely be seen and as far as heat insulation, I don't think there is any to be had.
For heat insulation I wrapped that pipe around to under the heatshield at your knee. Even that was very difficult to do without stripping half the bike but it definitely does make a difference heat wise.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That nut is the least of your worries.
To get the rear header pipe off involves quite a lot of strip down. The battery, battery box, plastic panel above the swingarm and the ABS unit needs disconnected. the 2nd nut can be removed easily then but getting the pipe out it a fair operation. I've done it but interfering with ABS module is a pain, it can be done without disconnecting it but getting the pipe out without damaging frame paint and bending battery-box plastics like some others have described on here to me is unacceptable. TBH, you should maybe consider leaving that pipe and doing the rest, it can barely be seen and as far as heat insulation, I don't think there is any to be had.
For heat insulation I wrapped that pipe around to under the heatshield at your knee. Even that was very difficult to do without stripping half the bike but it definitely does make a difference heat wise.
Thanks Hui on my way into the garage now hope to be out before dark. BTW phoned 5 Ducati dealers with no joy none have removed the last piece for any reason. 1 had removed an engine but left the header attached.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Thanks Hui on my way into the garage now hope to be out before dark. BTW phoned 5 Ducati dealers with no joy none have removed the last piece for any reason. 1 had removed an engine but left the header attached.
Removing the engine was an option I thought of but didn't mention it here as that's a whole new ball game with securing the bike and lifting the engine etc. .

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now given up can’t really be bothered with this piece anymore too much work. Refitted the nuts and taken the rest in to be coated. I must be getting old I’ve never given up before.:mad:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Now given up can’t really be bothered with this piece anymore too much work. Refitted the nuts and taken the rest in to be coated. I must be getting old I’ve never given up before.:mad:
I know what you mean but honestly it's not a case of giving up it's a case of it's not required. I don't cut corners on my builds but I can't justify the risk and effort to coat something that can hardly be seen, if it was stripped already then I'd get it done along with the rest.
When I said I had removed that pipe in the past it was because I was making a complete one of, so I had to.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you mean but honestly it's not a case of giving up it's a case of it's not required. I don't cut corners on my builds but I can't justify the risk and effort to coat something that can hardly be seen, if it was stripped already then I'd get it done along with the rest.
When I said I had removed that pipe in the past it was because I was making a complete one of, so I had to.
Thanks for the support Hui I feel a little better now. BTW I am having the heat shield off that piece coated and I’m going to refit it with thumb screws hopefully to make it easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts