Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to replace my clutch lever and I’m trying to get the bolt off underneath the lever and it just keeps spinning and spinning and goes nowhere. Am I missing something.. and how do you get the black thing off at the top that has a hex top but you can’t engage it because it’s flat..

I feel so blonde right now..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did.. they don’t show how to replace the lever.. just the cable and all the gears and stuff.. how to reassemble a clutch etc.. but not the cAtual lever

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and I’ve also read every tread and I can’t fine anything about actual removal or or any pics. I also check every video online and nothing about how to remove. The nut on the bottom just keeps spinning and I have no idea how to get the blasted thing off. I just want to change the clutch lever everyone.. not the brake

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha I was just there yesterday for an electronic problem. Bike is a week old. Had just come from the factory. I really don’t want to go there again. So many people have changed their levers.. I figured it would be an easy question.

·
Registered
954 Posts
im trying to replace my clutch lever and I’m trying to get the bolt off underneath the lever and it just keeps spinning and spinning and goes nowhere. Am I missing something.. and how do you get the black thing off at the top that has a hex top but you can’t engage it because it’s flat..
The clutch pivot bolt head (the top) is recessed into a hex shaped hole in the handlebar mounting bracket. When you undo the nut on the bottom the bolt itself cannot turn.
If you are undoing the nut on the bottom and it is just turning and not unscrewing then I suspect that it has been cross threaded. Maybe somebody has tried to do it up too tight. You might need a Dremel or similar to cut the nut off if it has been cross threaded and if that has to be done you will need a new bolt and nut.
A crude thing to try would be to clamp the nut tightly in a pair of vice grips that are pointing up from below and pull downwards as you undo the nut. You may just get enough downward pressure for the threads to engage. It will be best to have two people, one to hold the bike and one to unscrew. Same end result though a new nut and bolt will be required.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K1W1- YOU ROCK THE SH#$! I could just leap and bear hug you right now! I spent all day yesterday working a screwdriver into the top and angling it down to see if that dethreaded nut would come off with no avail. Used the heat method.. even tried a nut splitter.. that didn’t work because you couldn’t hold the nut with a vice grip or anything so it just spun while trying to get a lock on it. I saw your post this morning and went to the store and bought some metal cutting wheels for the Dremel. I was able to cut half the nut with the screw and screw off the remaining half of the nut. The best part was was there was still enough screw to fit a new nut onto after I did this so I could reuse the special screw bolt thing. This is temporary as I’ve ordered an oem special screw.. which is part number 77917741AA if anyone wanted to know or order. Attached is a diagram of the clutch lever works.. the special screw is #2 per diagram. So thanks for the idea K1W1!

Now to tell you all something quick.. the hypermotard shorty 939 levers are just awesome. They are not as short as some shorty levers I’ve seen everywhere, but shorter than stock.. refer to pic. The adjuster is the round thing which easily clicks into one of 5 positions. The clutch pull is so much easier for my carny hands! It also feels lighter.. make sure to readjust the play in the lever to between 1.6 and 3mm of loose play per manual. These hypermotards are great because they are cut to specially fit the Brembo bolt that any bike with Brembo brakes uses. (Ours) Enjoy some pics of my bike..the twader taxi.. (We couldn’t stop laughing when we thought of that one and it wasn’t my ideal name for it but it’s now stuck )

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts