Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you M shock owners still hoarding all the bits of paper and what not that came with the shock.
I'm having issues with mine, and am convinced there was something in with it that said there would be a reduction in performance at temps over 40 C (this is a guestimated value as I can find any of the bits of paper) I remember dismissing it given we live in the uk where its never that warm.

or I could have dreamt it all up to explain the issue I'm experiencing with the damping or lack thereof after I get held up in slow moving traffic, or stuck at the lights for an age and the shock gets battered with heat from the exhaust pipe coming out the rear cylinder.

I'm well pissed of as I'm usually awesome at hoarding useless crap like that, and then the one time it would actually be useful I don't have it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sid. It was actually a separate slip of paper to that one. I'm clearly losing my mind and am imagining it.

Max, no all is not well with the shock,I've lost all damping adjustment and to add insult to injury the bottom shock Bolt is now seized and I'm struggling to get the shock off to send it back. And I've previously sufferered from a severe lack of damping whenever it gets really warm.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
After having owned a BMW G650X Challenge with an air shock (not nitrogen, I know), that would be my main worry. If something would ever leak the shock would just collapse.

Back then I replaced the shock with a normal coil over. I'm never buying a shock that relies on gas only for the spring.

good luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow .Never had a problem and done 30000km on M Shock .Lot of that dirt and never let me down.Heat from the xaust I doubt that sounds like dodgy Shock.Seized bolt easy either heat it..or cut it off. Or use a bicg socket and bolt breaks put new one in

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you had any luck removing the bottom bolt yet?

I change my rear shock last October for a Maxton, greased up the bolts and put it all back together, and I've never used the bike in the rain. Saw this thread and thought I better check the bolts and regrease them, but I'm have the same problem and can't get the bloody bottom bolt to move either, I've taken the foot bracket off and snapped two Allen bits using breaker bars and a whole tin of penetrating oil. I'm gonna try a impact driver next, failing that I'll try and heat it up with a blow torch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have you had any luck removing the bottom bolt yet?

I change my rear shock last October for a Maxton, greased up the bolts and put it all back together, and I've never used the bike in the rain. Saw this thread and thought I better check the bolts and regrease them, but I'm have the same problem and can't get the bloody bottom bolt to move either, I've taken the foot bracket off and snapped two Allen bits using breaker bars and a whole tin of penetrating oil. I'm gonna try a impact driver next, failing that I'll try and heat it up with a blow torch.
Bloody heck! That's got me thinking, I'll try mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm feeling your pain Pygs. I've shattered one 3/8 Allen that was on a 20 inch breaker bar. And I'm sorry to say I'm no closer to getting it free. I'd been doseing it with penetrating fluid but that didn't seem to matter when it came to trying to get it loose. I'm taking my bike in to ducati on Tuesday for some minor warranty work and I'll let them have crack at freeing the bolt off, but I'm not about to let them spend hours on it. It's definitely going to need some heat as a minimum but if that doesn't work and the pros at ducati can't sort it then I'll have to drill the sodding thing out and I'm not looking forward to that. Look on the bright side at least your shock is still functioning properly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a slightly different note for any one else opening this can of worms. My method for accessing the bolt was to put tall axle stands under the foot pegs (this was a 3 man job) whip the cat and end can off and whip out the top shock Bolt. This lets the back wheel drop low enough so you can access that bolt that's burried in the swing arm and hidden behind the footpegs bracket.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On a slightly different note for any one else opening this can of worms. My method for accessing the bolt was to put tall axle stands under the foot pegs (this was a 3 man job) whip the cat and end can off and whip out the top shock Bolt. This lets the back wheel drop low enough so you can access that bolt that's burried in the swing arm and hidden behind the footpegs bracket.
Good one

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Folks, ducati had my bike today and gave it half an hour trying to loosen the bolt without success. The Mechanic managed to twist his 8mm allen key half inch impact drive, using it on a breaker bar. His suggestion was to take the wheel out and get some serious heat on the swing arm with oxyacetylene at the back where the bolt enters it. Looks like I'm going to be taking the swing arm off so I can take it somewhere that can have a go at this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was hoping for some good news, but it looks like I'll have to do that eventually as well, just can't believe how tight its gone as I only used an Allen key to put it in, and less than a year ago.

Do you think a blow torch would work?

Keeps us posted please.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was hoping for some good news, but it looks like I'll have to do that eventually as well, just can't believe how tight its gone as I only used an Allen key to put it in, and less than a year ago.

Do you think a blow torch would work?

Keeps us posted please.
Yeah I only used an Allen key and I only fitted it 8 months ago but do use the bike in all weather's, but still, it's pretty annoying.

Blow torch might do it but it may not generate enough heat. Compared to oxyacetalyne it's just warm. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Is that the stock bolt, or came the M-shock with it's own one?

(in another words, is this a Scrambler problem, or an M-shock problem?)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is that the stock bolt, or came the M-shock with it's own one?

(in another words, is this a Scrambler problem, or an M-shock problem?)
Yup it's the stock bolt.

I guess I won't really have a better idea as to whats caused this until I get it out. If the bolt has fused itself to the shock then heat should free it but there will be tell tale signs I'd imagine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts