Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hi Crawf
As much as I hate hearing someone else is going through what I am, I am at least glad I am not alone and we can help each other with our findings.

I am at a point where I am going to meeting with my Ducati authorised mechanic (Sydney City Motorcycles in Sydney) and a Ducati tech in attendance when he gets back from holidays.
Ducati suspects a Crank Position sensor which we are going to test next. I cant just keep buying parts Ducati 'suspects'. Have not fitted a MAPS Sensor, breather hoses and spark plugs... where will it end!!!

Mind if I ask which dealer you are working with? Might be good to let Ducati know of both cases, power in numbers....

I'll keep you abreast of anything I find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi all
I can finally ride my Urban Eduro like it was meant to be ridden!!! The problem was the ECU.

After having the problems I described above for over a year, riding it like this for over 7,000 klms and being out of pocket $700, Ducati came to the party diagnosing an ECU issue that wasn't picking up the sensors.
After all the trouble i had Ducato good willed me a new ECU and the shop fitted it as good will too!! :)

Can't believe the nightmare is finally over.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some great input and things to test, your help made it easier to prove to Ducati that I had self diagnosed as much as I could...

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Glad you're sorted!

On a slightly different note - how do you find Sydney City Motorcycles?

I currently go to Frasers, up in Concord but I find them exxy and they fitted a rear brake disc I'm not 100% sure was in need of replacement (but then I am a massive cynic!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Update for anyone following this post.
After 180klm's the bike has gone back to doing the exact same thing :(. it tore my heart out when it started again!!!!

Replacing the ECU temporarily fixed the issue. Ducati has asked for the bike to go back to Sydney City Motorcylces on Tuesday.
I suspect it could be the 02 sensor after reading some posts on this forum. Will raise it with them.

I'll keep you updated as I know I am not the only one suffering this issue...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a 2017 Monster 797. Same air cooled engine as the scrambler. I have this SAME issue and Ducati can’t figure out what is going on. I’m pulling my hair out. Just joined to comment on this post. Quote from the OP below describing my issue as well.

“When riding, the bike coughs an jerks to the point of being dangerous. The issue is intermittent and can occur when the bike is hot or cold. Some days it is fine and others it is a struggle to control and am losing confidence in the bike.
The best way I can describe the issue under load is like a bike reaching the rev limiter and it just coughs and snatches jerking the bike and rider back and forth like it is running on a single piston.”

Have any others or the OP with this issue resolved it yet? I am also running the SC project slip on and a Rexxer tune.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Good to be in direct contact Lil' Schnucks. thought i'd put an update on for you and anyone else suffering the same issue.

3 weeks ago my dealer swapped the front and rear coils around to see if it made a difference and dropped some new spark plugs in. Ran well when I picked it up but started the same issues 8klm's later :(

Ducati sent in a new Crank Position Sensor to try and the dealer also adjusted the idle speed on the stepper motor. I picked it up yesterday and rode O.K (not perfect) for 4klm's before the idle became latent. The coughing is gone, as is the flashing headlight and the stalling, but the RPM keeps dropping and rising intermittently when under 3,000 RPM.

The feedback has gone back to Ducati and now waiting on next step.

Have now replaced the MAPS sensor, Crank position sensor and ECU!

Research leads me to think it could be the Throttle position sensor, O2 sensor, RPM sensor, exhaust valve or secondary air intake.

Will keep y'all updated...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Good to be in direct contact Lil' Schnucks. thought i'd put an update on for you and anyone else suffering the same issue.

3 weeks ago my dealer swapped the front and rear coils around to see if it made a difference and dropped some new spark plugs in. Ran well when I picked it up but started the same issues 8klm's later :(

Ducati sent in a new Crank Position Sensor to try and the dealer also adjusted the idle speed on the stepper motor. I picked it up yesterday and rode O.K (not perfect) for 4klm's before the idle became latent. The coughing is gone, as is the flashing headlight and the stalling, but the RPM keeps dropping and rising intermittently when under 3,000 RPM.

The feedback has gone back to Ducati and now waiting on next step.

Have now replaced the MAPS sensor, Crank position sensor and ECU!

Research leads me to think it could be the Throttle position sensor, O2 sensor, RPM sensor, exhaust valve or secondary air intake.

Will keep y'all updated...
Sounds like a real 'mare! Hope you get it sorted. I'm always baffled when there's a small number of rogue bikes like this the manufactures seem incapable of sorting. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
They seem to be zooming in on electrical, have they considered the fuel system ie. the pump or filter inside the tank or even the pressure regulator or fuel lines?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hi all.
For anyone having the same issue it looks like it has finally resolved. Had the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) replaced 300klm ago and bike has been running smoothly.
Should that change i'll le the forum know as promised.

Fingers crossed...

41 - 52 of 52 Posts