Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a brand new 2022 Nightshift 800, and I've been having this odd problem where the engine will pop from the front, not an exhaust pop, on a blip of throttle on a downshift, and gives no revs. After that, you can rev it right up again and the engine feels no different. Can be induced while stationary by sitting there and blipping the throttle slightly for a minute, and I have a video of it. I've been told it's normal deal with it, I've been told an upmap/remap will help due to the lean fueling, I've been told to remap/upmap because it's the lambda sensor causing problems, ive been told some people have this issue and then the bike kills after (mine doesn't), I've been told "take it to the dealer mine doesn't do that", I've been told "don't drive it like a Japanese in-line 4, it's a big v twin!" Can anyone help me make sense of what this issue might be? Would love to get this sorted out. Thank you!

·
Registered
848 Posts
Just picked up a brand new 2022 Nightshift 800, and I've been having this odd problem where the engine will pop from the front, not an exhaust pop, on a blip of throttle on a downshift, and gives no revs. After that, you can rev it right up again and the engine feels no different. Can be induced while stationary by sitting there and blipping the throttle slightly for a minute, and I have a video of it. I've been told it's normal deal with it, I've been told an upmap/remap will help due to the lean fueling, I've been told to remap/upmap because it's the lambda sensor causing problems, ive been told some people have this issue and then the bike kills after (mine doesn't), I've been told "take it to the dealer mine doesn't do that", I've been told "don't dri ve it like a Japanese in-line 4, it's a big v twin!" Can anyone help me make sense of what this issue might be? Would love to get this sorted out. Thank you!
Rapidly blipping the throttle either as you slow down or sitting still will likely induce this pop you're talking about. It's common for it to happen to that extent occasionally, not constantly.

It's triggered by the 02 sensors in the exhaust, at lower RPM's the sensors are active and can adjust the ignition of the bike, for what end... not entirely sure, but it's mostly for emissions and to protect the catalytic converter. If any unburnt fuel gets to the cat, it will reduce how well it works, so I think the pop is the bike detonating unburnt fuel.

The sensors also induce lots of burbling and popping during normal riding, which is probably engineered in by Ducati for a more exciting noise, some people choose to have the sensors removed when getting the bike remapped to remove that.

On my last Scrambler before and after fitting a decat exhaust and a remap, I would occasionally get exactly what you do, usually as blipping during downshifts when stopping, the engine sometimes bogged down, other times, completely stalled.
My current Scrambler hasn't done it but it came with a map installed, so that has perhaps cured it.

TLDR: It's not a good thing but its not unexpected occasionally. Will likely happen more when it's warm outside, if it's happening to you all the time, worth a check under the warranty. Could be a dodgy sensor or fuelling.
Only total fix is a good quality custom remap but I don't think the '22 bikes can be mapped yet due to the ECU changes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2021 nightshift with a slip on + rexxer tune, and I still occasionally have this issue. If I understand correctly what you're describing, it's not the backfires from decel, but rather a sort of 'cough' from the airbox area when you quickly blip the throttle. I have adjusted my riding style to avoid making it happen at this point - I've gotten a good feel for what's 'too fast' for a throttle blip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts