Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at this video:

First part is the bike idling with engine cold, there are no weird noises. Second part is the bike idling after a ride and you can start hearing this weird "whirring" sound (don't know how best to describe it.) It does sound like a belt whine to me, however my dealer has already put brand new belts and tensioners and swears that there are no issues there. The noise seems to be coming from the top part of the engine and only after I ride the bike for 15 minutes or more.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The first part sounded normal to me (as you stated).

I could hear the noise you are referencing in the second part, but don’t know what that is. I’ll have to give my bike a ride and see if I hear it after it’s been running for 15. Maybe I’ll take a vid and post so you can compare.

·
Registered
876 Posts
It's so hard with these aircooled bikes as they just sound terrible mechanicly when they are warm. You could be hearing the clutch or parts of the desmodronic valve train. When the oil gets warm and thin you can just hear all the gears and parts turning. I can't tell if your bike souns worse then mine when it's warm. It does sound the same when it's cold though and this is much more pleasing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a 1100 Scrambler and the joins leaked like mad from new. What i did was cut some thin exhaust mat and pushed it into one end of each pipe. "You'll see what i mean". I also has a leak from the weld at the Y section of the exhaust pipe. This can be seen when you first start the bike and condensation will leaking out. To me that is a exhaust leak. Pioes are cold and have more clearance. Wait until it is 100% cold. Start the bike, and quickly put the hand as close as you can to the exhaust joins. You have to curve your hands and fingers around the pipe though. You will feel it on your fingers or hand.
Don't forget, they are very mechanical sounding engine as well.
Hope that help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a 1100 Scrambler and the joins leaked like mad from new. What i did was cut some thin exhaust mat and pushed it into one end of each pipe. "You'll see what i mean". I also has a leak from the weld at the Y section of the exhaust pipe. This can be seen when you first start the bike and condensation will leaking out. To me that is a exhaust leak. Pioes are cold and have more clearance. Wait until it is 100% cold. Start the bike, and quickly put the hand as close as you can to the exhaust joins. You have to curve your hands and fingers around the pipe though. You will feel it on your fingers or hand.
Don't forget, they are very mechanical sounding engine as well.
Hope that help.
Hm, thanks for the thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take a look at this video:

First part is the bike idling with engine cold, there are no weird noises. Second part is the bike idling after a ride and you can start hearing this weird "whirring" sound (don't know how best to describe it.) It does sound like a belt whine to me, however my dealer has already put brand new belts and tensioners and swears that there are no issues there. The noise seems to be coming from the top part of the engine and only after I ride the bike for 15 minutes or more.

Any thoughts?
How many k's on your bike? Mine has done 3000 km which has just had new barrels and pistons (piston slap). The piston slap noise has now gone since being fixed, though I have also noticed a whirring sound now when the bike is warm which I hadn't heard before. It could be the piston slap was overpowering the new noise which does sound like a belt whine. I have another few hundred k's of riding before going in for the run in oil change (again) and will get Ducati to check out the noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many k's on your bike? Mine has done 3000 km which has just had new barrels and pistons (piston slap). The piston slap noise has now gone since being fixed, though I have also noticed a whirring sound now when the bike is warm which I hadn't heard before. It could be the piston slap was overpowering the new noise which does sound like a belt whine. I have another few hundred k's of riding before going in for the run in oil change (again) and will get Ducati to check out the noise.
I have just over 5K miles on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts