Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ! So i’ve been looking for a motorcycle for a little while now. I’ve decided I want either the Ducati Scrambler or a Triumph Tiger 800XC. For me the purpose of this bike would be to make life a little more fun, I live in Austin TX so I would bounce around downtown and go on longer rides on weekends. There are a good amount of highways to get anywhere so I'd be doing a little bit of highway riding as well. I really just like the dual-sport style, I probably will never really go off-road. I also will still drive my truck most of the time I imagine.

I just looked at a 2016 Ducati Scrambler and I really liked it. It seems like it might be the perfect bike for what I’m after.
I love the Triumph Tiger 800 as well. It is about $1000 more dollars tho. I may go see one this weekend but part of me just wants to pull the trigger on the Ducati.

Advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Scrambler is a 2016 Full Throttle.

The idea of customizing it seems fun. I really like the dual sport look so I would probably add a headlight guard, and bar end mirrors almost immediately!

Here's the bike. Do you think an Arai XD4 helmet in matte black would go well? I absolutely love this helmet.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Nice looking bike. I can't speak to the Triumph but I have had my 2015 Icon from new and still really enjoy the thing. I work from home so it's mostly a bit of fun and the odd trip out to shops and the like. They're not without a few issues - you either live with that or you don't; My clutch wore out in 12000km (I accept it may have been my lack of obsession with freeplay at the clutch); some folk say they run too hot and burn their leg - never really bothered me; and servicing, particularly the valves is eye-wateringly expensive compared to some bikes (possibly those that clock up the miles quickly). Search around the forum, obviously by the mere fact we're on here means we're fans but there are the odd post on niggles here and there - and to me they are minor but probably worth knowing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a Tiger 800 XR which I bought from new in 2016, and replaced it in 2018 with a Versys 1000. A few months later I bought a Scrambler 1100 as a second bike for fun.

The Tiger is smoother, more powerful, more comfortable, but heavier than the scrambler. It's also higher. In my opinion the Tiger is a better all rounder, but I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Nothing against the bike, but I had a lot of problems, and Triumph weren't interested. It was drinking oil at a litre per 1000km and had 3 breakdown recoveries. Other guys I know with Tigers haven't had the same issues - I was just unlucky. After buying the Versys (which has been a brilliant bike), I wanted something a bit lower and smaller for exploring the places I wouldn't want to take the Versys. The Scrambler fits the bill perfectly, and is my first choice for afternoon rides and exploring the narrow tracks. For full day rides, touring, camping and taking a pillion, the Tiger, in my opinion, would be better.

In short, the Scrambler for shorter rides and fun, the Tiger for longer rides where comfort is important. If I had to have just one bike, I would go for the Tiger (but I still wouldn't want to get rid of the Scrambler). That said, the Scrambler would probably be easier to get used to if its your first bike.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I own both and they are completely different bikes with different design intentions. Whilst all motorcycles are to some degree fun the fun factor of the Scrambler far outweighs that of the Tiger. The Tiger shines in other areas that the Scrambler is not so good at. If making life fun is the aim the Scrambler is the choice hands down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had my Scrambler full throttle since 2016, it is a super fun bike but it needs some work to get it to the next level in my opinion. I have almost 15,000 miles of complete trashing on mine. It has been a fun bike and still is, mine is heavily modified but still looks like a scrambler, I ride the bike off road where it should not go and it's fine there too. The seat is the first thing that needs to go, it is terrible. Next is suspension, then get more power out of it, after those things are done it really brings the enjoyment factor up a notch or two. I have a bunch of other bikes but some how the scrambler is the one I would not want to sell. The triumph and scrambler are 2 completley different bikes, sit on both and buy the one that feels like your home.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you ridden the scrambler Desert Sled? It seems to me you would like the functionality of the tiger but the fun of the scrambler. The DS is made for off road and on. It’s basically a lighter adv bike.
I ride mine all the time in the Texas hill country and just absolutely love this bike. You FEEL like you are going fast. Also the bike is stable on the hwy and doesn’t get blown around by the truck on I-10 , 281, I-35. One down side is the seat. It just doesn’t have the support or comfort the Ducati multistrada or tiger has. I typically ride on weekends for about 6 hours and a fair portion is standing up (very comfortable on this bike).
Zero problems on 7k miles.
Hope this help with choices!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts